SENATE BILL: The Game Moderator Reform Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:45:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Game Moderator Reform Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Game Moderator Reform Act (Law'd)  (Read 6871 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 08:58:44 PM »

The amendment has passed.

A singular thread is probably the best situation, as far as the Game Moderating aspect. In terms of their offices and duties though, I think the SoEA, SoIA etc should maintain their independent threads, as they currently do.
I concur.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 08:30:09 AM »

Ditto---at least regarding the SoEA's role under this bill. RE: the SoIA, I'll reiterate my earlier question:

The SoIA is limited to regional matters, and I like the idea, but what role would the GM's Office have for regional matters? Would the GM and SoIA have "co-jurisdiction" over regional issues?

That said, expanding the role of these two offices to give them some form of "assistant GM" powers is a great and long overdue idea I heartily support.

The GM office would more be focused on Senate affairs, and the SoIA would have a focus on regional affairs. My interpretation of the bill is that the GM office would not have powers over regional affairs.

For the record, though, the GM could still have the ability to post on and influence whatever he likes, right?

That is a good question. It needs to be clarified in the legislation one way or another.

Agreed. Maybe "co-jurisdiction" on at least regional levels might be worth a try.

At any rate, the powers and responsibilities here need to be deliniated and yet remain flexable.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 07:23:33 PM »

well?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 09:10:01 PM »

Ditto---at least regarding the SoEA's role under this bill. RE: the SoIA, I'll reiterate my earlier question:

The SoIA is limited to regional matters, and I like the idea, but what role would the GM's Office have for regional matters? Would the GM and SoIA have "co-jurisdiction" over regional issues?

That said, expanding the role of these two offices to give them some form of "assistant GM" powers is a great and long overdue idea I heartily support.

The GM office would more be focused on Senate affairs, and the SoIA would have a focus on regional affairs. My interpretation of the bill is that the GM office would not have powers over regional affairs.

For the record, though, the GM could still have the ability to post on and influence whatever he likes, right?

That is a good question. It needs to be clarified in the legislation one way or another.

Agreed. Maybe "co-jurisdiction" on at least regional levels might be worth a try.

At any rate, the powers and responsibilities here need to be deliniated and yet remain flexable.
So in essence, the GM would keep all powers he still has, but would have the SoEA also posting foreign affair stories and the SoIA posting regional news. I'd be down with that.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 09:45:13 PM »

I definitely support this effort.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2011, 10:06:14 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thoughts on that?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011, 10:12:48 PM »

Co-jurisdiction would be a good way to ensure that the GM, SoEA, and SoIA work cooperatively for sure, and one of our biggest aims needs to be to ensure interaction between the various vessles of gov't.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 10:14:01 PM »

If they remain separate to the point that Foreign issues can be handled solely by say the SoEA then you create a situation that would discourage such interaction from occuring.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 10:15:35 PM »

If they remain separate to the point that Foreign issues can be handled solely by say the SoEA then you create a situation that would discourage such interaction from occuring.
Would you (or another Senator) consider sponsoring my proposed amendment(which will hopefully be accepted as friendly)?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2011, 10:16:55 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2011, 10:17:27 PM »

Does the sponsor accept the amendment as friendly?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2011, 12:05:44 PM »

I like this bill, especially with the new amendment.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2011, 12:05:48 PM »

Yeah, friendly.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2011, 12:08:07 PM »

With the amendment accepted as friendly, I think just about every concern that his been expressed during this debate has been solved through amendments. I hope we can bring this to final passage as quickly as possible.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2011, 09:46:49 PM »

Such speedy work.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2011, 10:15:15 PM »

Do you have any suggestions? If so, I'd love to hear them.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2011, 07:15:40 AM »

Sure!

Do more.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2011, 08:05:13 AM »

I'm very sorry, we're inferior beings and we can't possibly devote three straight nights to write a highly-detailed bill of twenty pages lenght in Microsoft Word.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2011, 10:10:51 AM »

I'm very sorry, we're inferior beings and we can't possibly devote three straight nights to write a highly-detailed bill of twenty pages lenght in Microsoft Word.
I don't think this is an attack on you, Kal, but more on me. Instead of actually trying to help find solutions like most of us are doing, Marokai is more focused right now on finding every opportunity to criticize me.

That being said, I'm serious - If anyone has a problem or concern with this bill, please let it be known now. But I feel we've done a pretty good job covering about every concern that has been voiced thus far.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2011, 11:02:38 AM »

I don't think this is an attack on you, Kal, but more on me. Instead of actually trying to help find solutions like most of us are doing, Marokai is more focused right now on finding every opportunity to criticize me.

I don't think you deserved such attack.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2011, 01:30:40 PM »

Thoughts on that?

I very much like and support the amendment re: co-jurisdiction between the SoIA and GM on regional affairs. However I have some concern about the same amendment being included re: the SoEA and foreign affairs.

Earlier in the debate Ben laid out the distinction between this bill's intent for additional authority to be conferred on the SoEA, and the worries the bill would effectively create 2 GMs for foreign affairs:
I have one concern. Is that appropriate for SoEA, for example, to make up an events he'd respond to?

As I've said, basically what this bill will do is allow the SoEA to create stories as a base for the GM.  It also creates background information.  The SoEA cannot create a crisis, respond to it, and give himself the Nobel Peace Prize.  He creates the baseline, and then works with the GM to share the Nobel Peace Prize.

I hope this alleviates your concern.

Ben's post correctly and wisely framed the powers of the SoEA. The proposed amendment's language, however, seems to go far beyond the bill's original intent by giving full "co-jurisdiction over foreign affairs" to the SoEA. This language would in fact effectively create two separate GM's for foreign matters.

May I strongly suggest changing the language of the amendment to give the GM co-jurisdiction over <insert language here related the SoEA's duties as spelled out here:

Section 2 – Secretary of External Affairs
1.   The Secretary of External Affairs shall be permitted to publish stories relating to foreign elections, foreign economic actions, foreign military conflicts, etc.

plus other language of Section 2 if needed>

I realize that makes the amendment more wordy, as the SoEA's expanded powers under this bill are nowhere near as easily summarized as the SoIA's ("regional issues"), but such a change is needed to keep within the original intent of this bill and avoid the train-wreck-waiting-to-happen of dual GMs. 
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »

I'd like to see this passed as soon as possible.  Amend it as necessary.  I thought I wrote it clearly, but  please do what you need to to pass the bill.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2011, 02:00:37 PM »

I'd like to see this passed as soon as possible.  Amend it as necessary.  I thought I wrote it clearly, but  please do what you need to to pass the bill.

I guess I have to agree with SoEA here. With all future possible issues to work on, we should pass it rapidly.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2011, 02:04:51 PM »

While proofreading this post, I just read the calls to pass this quickly. Great. You guys'll love this then. Tongue I'll try getting something posted soon for suggested amendments, as requested.

While typing my last post I thought of another equally important suggestion: The bill should include language stating that the GM's Office holds final decision-making in a conflict between either the SoIA or SoEA in a decision made under the auspices of this act.

Before people object and say that unnecessarily weakens this bill or either Secretary, let me explain why:

When and IF there is an irresolvable disagreement between either Secretary and the GM's Office re: a regional issue/event or foreign incident, etc, ultimately there should be a final authority to make a decision as to what happens in fantasyland. Otherwise the situation could arise where both offices are issuing conflicting reports of what is happening without resolution and creating utter confusion for those trying to play the game. Since the GM's Office is designed as the ultimate and nonpartisan moderator for happenings in fantasyland, it makes sense that such authority---again IF necessary---should fall to that office.

If that sounds like making the GM too powerful, remember this bill still expands the SoIA and SoEA authority well beyond the status quo---which I absolutely support as long overdue. Also recall that the GM is employed completely at the will of the President and can be dismissed at any time. While I doubt any president would do so for partisan reasons, chronic micromanaging and inability to work and play well with other cabinet members would be deserved grounds to do so.

Finally, let me note that in practice, excessive micromanaging and vetoing either Secretary is nothing whatsoever to fear from this GM. I really, REALLY want the Secretaries to take over more duties in this realm. I intend to only use such "veto" when absolutely necessary when an SoIA or SoEA decision here conflicts with a planned storyline or fundamental sense of "WTF?", and then only after seeing if there's some reachable compromise that allows the Secretary to be satisfied with some modifications. Even then this would be rare. Not only do I want the Secretaries to be creative in using their new authority, but I'm just too darned busy juggling too many things to micromanage anyone. Tongue Besides, I trust Ben and JBrase wholly. Its future GMs and Secretaries that may come to irresolvable disagreement which leads me to suggest this.

In sum, even in these new areas of co-jurisdiction there should be a final arbiter when and if an irreconcilable disagreement occurs to avoid utter confusion in the game. That role should logically fall to the GM's Office as part of its historic non-partisan role as overall arbiter of events and policy consequences/outcomes. Nor should this be seen as overly concentrating power with the GM's Office as this bill actually delegates much of its authority to the Secretaries, and a GM can be fired anytime by the president anyway. Accordingly I strongly urge the Senate to include a short (a sentence or two should do) amendment to this bill to avoid such potential irresolvable conflict in the future.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2011, 02:19:20 PM »

Wasn't as difficult to draft as I expected. Nor as wordy as I feared. Changes underlined.

Straight forward. The GM's Office retains co-jurisdiction with the Secretaries in the new areas of authority granted them under this bill in case the GM wants to also spur some activity or storylines there, and likewise if there is irreconcilable disagreement over a story or other decision made pursuant to this bill, the GM's Office would have final authority to resolve the dispute as is consistent with the Office's historical role.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies