jmfcst's observations of Boston
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 12:23:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  jmfcst's observations of Boston
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: jmfcst's observations of Boston  (Read 887 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 12, 2011, 05:06:30 PM »
« edited: March 12, 2011, 05:12:15 PM by jmfcst »

First and foremost, it is a MAJOR college town with over 30 colleges....which leads to sky-high housing costs.  (rents are about 5 times the going rate in Houston)...makes me wonder if the poltics of the town are skewed because of masses of utopian-idealolistic college kids.

As with most NE towns, the historical value of much of the inner city makes expanding the road system nearly impossible, but the subway systems helps out a lot.  But travel by subway is slow, with a 2 mi journey taking 30 minutes.  (compared to me being able to travel 55 miles in 45-60 mins into downtown Houston)...and it seems most men on the subway aren't willing to give up their seats to a standing woman, which I have done several times since I've been her.

also, the is my first experience in a town with a alley system where everyone throws their trash bags full of garbage in an alley way.  I'm talking without using trash cans.  Which leads me to believe the city controls stray dogs and cats pretty well because I didn't see any of the bags tampered with. (trash cans are a must where I live due to wildlife like coons)

Many people live in the downtown area of Boston, and the area is very nice and safe, but one thing Boston seems to lack are public trash cans on every corner,which may explain why litter is everywhere.  I don't really understand this and it was what I found most shocking because it would be such a simple upgrade.

But, I haven't been out of the downtown and Boston University area, so I haven't seen the rest of town.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »

So what do you think of the city so far?

I think that you'll end up liking it. (I know because I've been there, and I LOVE Boston Smiley)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 05:31:23 PM »

The right is more 'idealolistic' than the left, jmfcst.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 05:43:36 PM »

correction...litter was in boston univ area...downtown is clean
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 06:01:09 PM »

But travel by subway is slow, with a 2 mi journey taking 30 minutes.  (compared to me being able to travel 55 miles in 45-60 mins into downtown Houston)...and it seems most men on the subway aren't willing to give up their seats to a standing woman, which I have done several times since I've been her.

I see misogyny chivalry isn't dead.

And how about walking those 2 miles? Or is that too unamerican?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 06:09:43 PM »

correction...litter was in boston univ area...downtown is clean

I was going to disagree with you on your original post.  Boston is one of the cleaner cities Ive been to.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 06:30:01 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2011, 06:48:04 PM by Lunar »

NYC throws bags of trash onto the sidewalk and standing women definitely do not automatically get subway seats.  Is that even a thing?  Pregnant women, the disabled, the elderly, and childen, okay... but all women?  I'd never get to sit down again
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 06:45:08 PM »

In Prague, not giving your seat on the tram or subway to an old is very disrespectful, but there's no gender component to it.
danny
Israel

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 07:18:25 PM »

and it seems most men on the subway aren't willing to give up their seats to a standing woman, which I have done several times since I've been her.

Really? You give up your seat to all standing women? That's a very foreign idea to me, here in Israel you're expected to get up for pregnant women and old people but that's it, and women would give up their seats for these groups as well.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 07:25:40 PM »

In Prague, not giving your seat on the tram or subway to an old is very disrespectful, but there's no gender component to it.

And of course in DC it's first come first serve and fcuk everyone else.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 09:07:04 PM »

Yeah, I'd never give my seat away just because a woman was standing.  As the others have said.. older people, disabled, pregnant women.. or those who simply appear to have trouble standing.. I'd offer my seat.

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 09:55:26 PM »

Wrong forum.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 10:07:54 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2011, 06:30:25 AM by Lunar »

Good point, moved.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 11:11:59 PM »

My favourite city in the US, would move there in a  HEARTBEAT.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 02:54:01 AM »

NYC throws bags of trash onto the sidewalk and standing women definitely do not automatically get subway seats.  Is that even a thing?  Pregnant women, the disabled, the elderly, and childen, okay... but all women?  I'd never get to sit down again

As someone who has traveled the most back and forth between Penn Station and Chambers on the 2 and 3 train, mostly during rush hour, sitting down on the subway is a foreign concept..
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 02:10:18 PM »

The same in Bangkok, though the person has to be fairly old before this kicks in.  Oddly enough though, on the 'song thaew', the little two-rows pickup truck buses that tour around most smaller cities and towns in set routes, it is normal to let girls and women sit and men or boys stand up, the exception being men over about 50.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies