Wisconsin Senate Recall-a-palooza: 2012 Edition (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:24:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Wisconsin Senate Recall-a-palooza: 2012 Edition (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wisconsin Senate Recall-a-palooza: 2012 Edition  (Read 95119 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: August 10, 2011, 12:46:43 AM »

What does this say about the 2012 elections?  Democrats got 2/3 of the way there, but still did not win.  I'm getting mixed messages.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 12:59:38 AM »

What are the odds that the one moderate Republican in the WI Senate will change parties?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 01:10:54 AM »

What are the odds that the one moderate Republican in the WI Senate will change parties?

If there was one, it would be Dale Schultz. He's the only Senate Republican who voted against the anti-union bill. He's from SD-17, in the southwestern corner of the state.

He'd be the most likely to pull a Specter, IMO.
Do you think he actually will, though?  Even if he doesn't, I think this is the end of anti-union legislation in Wisconsin.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 01:56:58 AM »

Good to see we picked up two but obviously a tad disappointing. However, this was just the appetizer. If this swing is extrapolated statewide it means Walker's recall next year will be a toss-up. I look forward to it.

Additionally, anyone trying to draw "messages" from this result - on either side - needs to stop. If 1,000 votes in SD-14 had flipped then this would have been heralded as the rebirth of the modern labor movement. Since that didn't happen it's apparently a rejection of Democratic politics and the power of organized labor and an endorsement of Walker's agenda. Both interpretations are foolish. These were six individual races with unique dynamics fought on a variety of issues. What happened happened.

J.J. has also really outdone himself in this thread. Your cluelessness knows no bounds, old chap!
I suppose you have a point.  I knew we would hear about this night all month long, regardless of the outcome.  Still, I do have some concerns about 2012.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 02:59:19 AM »

I find it helpful to think of the new makeup of the Wisconsin State Senate as 16-16-1, considering Schultz's...I can only describe it as his horrified attitude towards some of Walker's positions and actions.

I love how none of the Republicans are talking about how it took hours to call Darling's race after she was the proud recipient of more out-of-state corporate largesse than any other state-level candidate in history.
I'm not surprised they're doing it.  I knew they would if they won.  Thing is, there really isn't really a true "winner" tonight- but if there is at all, it's the Democrats.  The Senate Majority is now hanging by a single moderate vote.  But will this get Walker to actually change the direction of things?  Judging by his antics, I'd say no.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 03:14:19 AM »

I find it helpful to think of the new makeup of the Wisconsin State Senate as 16-16-1, considering Schultz's...I can only describe it as his horrified attitude towards some of Walker's positions and actions.

I love how none of the Republicans are talking about how it took hours to call Darling's race after she was the proud recipient of more out-of-state corporate largesse than any other state-level candidate in history.
I'm not surprised they're doing it.  I knew they would if they won.  Thing is, there really isn't really a true "winner" tonight- but if there is at all, it's the Democrats.  The Senate Majority is now hanging by a single moderate vote.  But will this get Walker to actually change the direction of things?  Judging by his antics, I'd say no.

The winner tonight, looking at it cynically, is Dale Schultz. Even that isn't necessarily that cynical, since all the Democratic state senators they were talking to seem to respect him and look forward to working with him a lot. Which is good, because they're going to have to work with him a lot. At the very least, they're an effective Thin Blue Line now. And that's more than what they were before.
A valid point.  He'll be the deciding vote on everything, now.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 04:00:05 AM »

As far as I know, the Democrats' goal was to recall at least three Republican State Senators in order to gain a majority in the State Senate. They have not reached this goal. Thus, it takes a lot of spinning to portray these recall elections as a victory for the Democrats. That's not to say the Republicans have "won", of course. Their majority has become smaller. But if I were a Democrat, I wouldn't be too enthusiastic, either.
Well, I'm not bragging, by any means.  I'm happy that the WI Dems are in better shape than they were the day before the election, but I don't consider this a "Democratic night".  If you happen to be a Republican who saw it as a "Republican night", however, then I see you as a bratty child in deep denial.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 12:13:04 PM »

Haha, oh wow.  Not even Walker's bragging.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 12:47:43 PM »

Walker got what he wanted, so he can tack moderate now. The heavy lifting is done.

Well, in this country, "moderate" translates to "weak".  Especially on Republican standards.  This is a huge showing of weakness.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies