Which of the following GOP governors is most likely to be re-elected in 2014?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:05:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which of the following GOP governors is most likely to be re-elected in 2014?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which of the following rust-belt GOP governors is most likely to be re-elected in 2014?
Tom Corbett (PA)

Rick Snyder (MI)

Terry Branstad (IA)

John Kasich (OH)

Scott Walker (WI)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Which of the following GOP governors is most likely to be re-elected in 2014?  (Read 3048 times)
Mississippi Political Freak
ECPolitico
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2011, 09:28:14 PM »

Hi!  The above governors are all elected along the rust belt (maybe except Iowa) during 2010's historic GOP wave.  I'm gathering you guys' opinion on who among them will be most likely get re-elected.  IMHO, I would say Gov. Snyder is the best bet, as the measures he has proposed to bridge his state's budget gaps has been less confrontational so far, and he has projected a image as a results-oriented moderate who can act bipartisan at times (He even appointed the outgoing Democratic State House Speaker, albeit a business-friendly one, as his State Treasurer).   

Gov. Corbett is a close second bet for me, as he has been rather low-key and non confrontational so far.  The same could be said for Gov. Branstad, although he faces a major difficulty in a divided legislature; where the GOP-controlled state House is aggressively pursuing a host of red-meat measures which would almost stand no chance from the Democrat-held state Senate.

From the developments so-far, Gov. Kasich and Walker are becoming fairly unpopular after ramming through measures curbing the influences of public sector unions.  Although it's a real long way to predict their re-election prospects, I would say both are underdogs unless improvements in their states' economies give them some redemption.

What's you choice from the above list?  Opinions and discussions are always welcome!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 09:44:01 PM »

It would be wise to remember that Christie went from being disapproved of by 2-1 (although the poll is questioned there is no doubt that he was very unpopular at one point) to being approved of by a range of about 10 to 15 points in just one year. Daniels was DOA in 2008 as late as 2007 with Approvals in the range of Ernie Fletcher and Matt Blunt (both of whom are now gone).

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 09:46:56 PM »

I'd say that Snyder, Corbet and Branstad are strongly favored at this point.  Based on his past electoral history, even after contentious and unpopular decisions, I'd say Walker can probably recover. The one I am least sure of is Kasich.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 10:35:47 PM »

In his favor, Kasich is a good communicator.  And, if Obama wins reelection in 2012, 2014 would traditionally be a good year for the GOP.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 01:18:46 AM »

Tom Corbett.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 03:28:36 AM »

IMHO, I would say Gov. Snyder is the best bet, as the measures he has proposed to bridge his state's budget gaps has been less confrontational so far

You're not wrong, but it's kind of strange, since his proposals are arguably the farthest reaching of them all.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 03:32:10 AM »

IMHO, I would say Gov. Snyder is the best bet, as the measures he has proposed to bridge his state's budget gaps has been less confrontational so far

You're not wrong, but it's kind of strange, since his proposals are arguably the farthest reaching of them all.

Yes, as crazy as the others are, it's not at all a stretch to call Synder's policies fascist.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 11:58:37 AM »

If the job killer Jennifer Granholm can get re-elected, so can a so-called fascist.
jbgator
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 12:00:55 PM »

Branstad.  Proven winner in Iowa. 
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 12:40:19 PM »

If the job killer Jennifer Granholm can get re-elected, so can a so-called fascist.

You realize that during Granholm's first term, Republicans held the state legislature, right? And during her second term, they still held the State Senate. It's amazing how she got her job-killing policies through a Republican-controlled legislature.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 07:57:43 PM »

In his favor, Kasich is a good communicator.  And, if Obama wins reelection in 2012, 2014 would traditionally be a good year for the GOP.

President's dont have two bad midterms usually.  2014 could well be a lot like 1998.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 08:08:16 PM »

It would be wise to remember that Christie went from being disapproved of by 2-1 (although the poll is questioned there is no doubt that he was very unpopular at one point) to being approved of by a range of about 10 to 15 points in just one year. Daniels was DOA in 2008 as late as 2007 with Approvals in the range of Ernie Fletcher and Matt Blunt (both of whom are now gone).

Baker in Mass. is also worth a mention in regards to big approval changes.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 09:05:02 PM »

President's dont have two bad midterms usually.  2014 could well be a lot like 1998.

Well, Obama can aspire to screw over the Democratic party with two bad midterms.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 02:49:41 PM »

In his favor, Kasich is a good communicator.  And, if Obama wins reelection in 2012, 2014 would traditionally be a good year for the GOP.

President's dont have two bad midterms usually.  2014 could well be a lot like 1998.

Reagan and Ike both had two bad midterms. I thought Obama was Reagan? Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 04:13:26 PM »

Definitely bad second midterms are much more common than bad first ones. I think I read that 1998 was the best second midterm since 1822.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 05:40:18 PM »

In his favor, Kasich is a good communicator.  And, if Obama wins reelection in 2012, 2014 would traditionally be a good year for the GOP.

President's dont have two bad midterms usually.  2014 could well be a lot like 1998.

Ike's first midterm wasnt too bad.  Reagan's second one wasnt too bad either, with Republicans picking up eight governorships. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 08:48:45 PM »

Ike's first midterm wasnt too bad.  Reagan's second one wasnt too bad either, with Republicans picking up eight governorships. 

Governorships are pretty removed from the Presidency. Republicans got slaughtered in the Senate and House in 1986; Democrats lost a lot of Governorships simply because there were so many open seats available for Republicans to pick up. Only 2 of the GOP's pickups (Wisconsin; Texas) came from defeating incumbents.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 08:56:29 PM »

Definitely bad second midterms are much more common than bad first ones. I think I read that 1998 was the best second midterm since 1822.

Well, it was first midterm that the President's party gained House seats in since 1934.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 09:30:22 PM »

Governorships are pretty removed from the Presidency. Republicans got slaughtered in the Senate and House in 1986; Democrats lost a lot of Governorships simply because there were so many open seats available for Republicans to pick up. Only 2 of the GOP's pickups (Wisconsin; Texas) came from defeating incumbents.

Republicans lost just five seats in the House.  In 2014, I dont see Republicans being able to gain much more in the House unless Democrats are picking up 25-30 seats in 2012. 
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 10:05:05 PM »

Ike's first midterm wasnt too bad.  Reagan's second one wasnt too bad either, with Republicans picking up eight governorships.  

Ike lost both houses of congress in 1954. In 1958 the Dems crushed the GOP so bad it gave the Dems a 40 year majority in the house.

In 1986, the GOP lost like 8 Senate seats (and the Senate Majority) and a lot of House seats.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 09:06:59 AM »

In 1986, the GOP lost like 8 Senate seats (and the Senate Majority) and a lot of House seats.

Part of which was due to Republicans winning a bunch of seats narrowly with weak incumbents in 1980, particularly in the South. Because 2008 was such a good year for the Democrats in the Senate, they have potential for big losses in 2014... it helps that they don't have any joke senators among their incumbents, Al Franken excepted, but even if Mark Begich is a stellar politico it won't necessarily save him.
rob in cal
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 10:30:23 AM »

I didn't know Gov Snyder of Michigan had been promoting fascist policies.  What are they?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 11:05:23 AM »
« Edited: March 18, 2011, 11:07:54 AM by Grumps »

Corbett.....he's doing all the dirty deeds some will hate fast and furious, which is politically necessary in my view.
DS0816
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 12:22:19 PM »

There is a pattern with Michigan and Pennsylvania in electing governors from the party opposite to the White House. No more than one break in pattern with Mich. going back to 1978 and Pa. even further to 1938. So, who is smarter: Rick Snyder (R-Mich.) or Tom Corbett (R-Pa.)?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »

There is a pattern with Michigan and Pennsylvania in electing governors from the party opposite to the White House. No more than one break in pattern with Mich. going back to 1978 and Pa. even further to 1938. So, who is smarter: Rick Snyder (R-Mich.) or Tom Corbett (R-Pa.)?

Corbett......
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies