Gallup: Americans now slightly opposed to building nuclear reactors
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:13:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gallup: Americans now slightly opposed to building nuclear reactors
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gallup: Americans now slightly opposed to building nuclear reactors  (Read 1101 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 16, 2011, 02:09:38 PM »
« edited: March 16, 2011, 02:16:16 PM by Tender Branson »

WASHINGTON — Americans' support for nuclear power has fallen, as 70% of those surveyed in a new USA TODAY/Gallup Poll say they've grown more concerned about the industry's safety based on the crisis unfolding at reactors in Japan.

Americans oppose building nuclear plants by a 47%-44% ratio, according to the poll. Support for constructing reactors was at 57% when Gallup asked a similar question about a week before Friday's earthquake and tsunami left Japan struggling to avert catastrophic meltdowns and fires at three damaged nuclear plants.

The new poll shows that worries about a similar disaster in the USA have climbed amid the crisis in Japan: 39% of those surveyed say they've grown "a lot more concerned," and 31% say they've become "a little more concerned."

The poll of 1,004 adults has a margin of error of +/–4 percentage points.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2011-03-17-rw_nukepoll14_ST_N.htm
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 02:14:41 PM »

That poll doesn't say what your thread title says.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 02:16:27 PM »

That poll doesn't say what your thread title says.

Better now ?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 02:19:27 PM »

Yes.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 02:21:07 PM »

Reactionary & Expected.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 03:36:53 PM »

Good, good.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 03:39:24 PM »

You're anti-nuke, Lief?  Environmental concerns I presume?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 03:42:15 PM »

Yes, though I also don't believe they're a very good investment financially.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 03:45:03 PM »

It always amuses me how many 'libertarians' are extremely pro-nuclear when the only reason that industry is viable in the first place is because of the Price-Anderson Act.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 03:48:45 PM »

It always amuses me how many 'libertarians' are extremely pro-nuclear when the only reason that industry is viable in the first place is because of the Price-Anderson Act.

Why are you surprised many support a vastly superior method of generating energy just because of some governent protection?   
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 05:07:34 PM »

Your'e going to see a massive increase in natural gas fired power plants in the coming few years since it is much cleaner than coal and much safer than nuclear... and in the past few years, has become much more plentiful and cost-effective in the U.S.  (thanks to fracking).

I don't know what environmentalists will oppose more:  nuclear or natural gas... but one of them is going to have to increase with electricity demand.  Solar and wind just won't do the job.  That is not an ideological statement... but a simple, sad fact.  (Though of course solar is showing a lot of promise and wind energy can increase... along with the most important energy efficiency/conservation)
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 05:11:45 PM »

Why are you surprised many support a vastly superior method of generating energy just because of some governent protection?   

Because if they let the 'market' take its course (as it's always right) they wouldn't even get off the drawing board simply due to the liabilities and NIMBY-ism.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 05:16:40 PM »

Because if they let the 'market' take its course (as it's always right) they wouldn't even get off the drawing board simply due to the liabilities and NIMBY-ism.

Agreed, but that's an argument against banning nuclear power.  There obviously should be a free market in energy.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 05:30:23 PM »

Agreed, but that's an argument against banning nuclear power.  There obviously should be a free market in energy.
Nuclear energy isn't going to be banned... though new construction will likely be scuttled.

But as I said... natural gas.. and coal.  CO2 emissions are going nowhere but up up up.  Jesus I really really hope the IPCC is wrong... or we are f**ked.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 06:16:10 PM »

Actually, I would argue it is because of our failure to enact a carbon tax on fossil fuels sufficient to offset their social costs.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 02:25:40 AM »

Nuclear energy isn't going to be banned... though new construction will likely be scuttled.

But as I said... natural gas.. and coal.  CO2 emissions are going nowhere but up up up.  Jesus I really really hope the IPCC is wrong... or we are f**ked.

What new construction is there anyway? To my knowledge, there's only one plant currently being built in the United States. I doubt any other plans would get off the ground anyway.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies