Have you ever personally interacted with a presidential hopeful?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:08:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Have you ever personally interacted with a presidential hopeful?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Have you ever personally interacted with a presidential hopeful?  (Read 7777 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2011, 11:31:58 PM »

Met and had a short conversation with Ralph Nader in the fall of '08, but that really stretches the definition of "hopeful."
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2011, 09:31:01 AM »

I saw Bush Jr's motorcade when I was 4, I can know recall. One of my best friends met Bush Sr when he was 4 or 5. His dad is on the Police Force, and Bush Sr. was in town, visiting the Tennis Center, so they went, took a picture with him, and talked with him for a bit.

My Great Aunt sat next to LBJ at the Dept of Agriculture (she was Miss Agriculture), and met Richard Nixon, Robert Byrd, and Jennings Randolph as a result. My Grandma saw Ronald Reagan in 1976. My Uncle saw Obamas motorcade at Robert Byrd's funeral. Hillary Clinton held a rally a few blocks from my school.

Oh yeah, my Uncle also met A. James Manchin. He found him passed out drunk in a field. He described him as a "flamer".
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2011, 10:01:20 AM »

I've seen Obama's motorcade in Boston 2 or 3 times...I've seen Sarah Palin at a Tea Party rally once (I was the guy holding the anti-Palin sign)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2011, 01:57:08 PM »

I saw Gordon Brown give a speech a few hours before his final goodbye conference speech, right before Ed Miliband was announced as leader.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2011, 02:14:17 PM »

Have you met or at least seen in person any of the 2012 presidential hopefuls (or the president himself)?  I haven't, though I used to listen to Cain's radio show fairly often.

Of the candidates, the only one I've had a long conversation with was Ron Paul.  We met on several occasions and on one of them he and I talked for about 20 minutes.  As Jbrase mentioned, Ron is coming to Cedar Falls tomorrow.  I won't go but I would if I didn't already have plans.

In 2008, I had handshakes with Obama, Romney, and Huckabee.  In previous elections I had a nice conversation with Michael Dukakis, a brief exchange with Ralph Nader, and a quick encounter with John Kerry.

izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2011, 03:04:36 PM »

I almost shook Obama's hand twice in 2007 and 2008. But alas t'was to many other folks closer to the rope line and though I can reach pretty far it wasn't enough. The second time was a good treat as it was after the primary debate on campus (where I was working security for the watch party/overflow gym). Some of the candidates dropped in to give mini-stump speeches to the over flow room including Obama. Clinton didn't show which upset some of her supporters.

In previous elections, I shook Dean's hand a couple times. Almost took the bus up that ended up being Gore's endorsement of Dean rally. I was once invited to go bother Tancredo when he came by campus in 2007 but I didn't feel like being the 10th person in the room where four of the people there were democrats there to ask him leading questions (I try not to be a real world troll). And back in 1992 my dad took me to a Clinton rally where I saw him take the stage.

A guy I met briefly back in Iowa a couple times worked out with GW Bush before the 2000 election. Bush was swinging through Iowa and wanted to get a work out and just happened to go to the gym this guy was working out at that night and other then staff he was the only guy around that evening. There was chatting and spotting and such. The guy had no intention of voting for him before or after though so it was kind of a 'huh' type thing. 
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2011, 03:59:26 PM »

Al Gore in 1996... he obviously wasn't a Presidential hopeful then, but about everyone knew that he would succeed President Clinton as the Democratic nominee at the time. Unfortunately, we got you-know-who as the successor of Bill Clinton.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2011, 04:54:27 PM »

Yup.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2011, 04:58:24 PM »

I shook McCain's and Fred Thompson's hands in Iowa during the caucuses. Later that year, I met Pawlenty during a local event. I've obviously met Santorum on a number of occasions.
GeorgiaSenator
Rookie
United States

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2011, 10:05:33 PM »

Met and spoke to Phill Gramm at least twice. He is actually a nice guy in person. Met and spoke to Newt Gingrich also nice in person as well as Alan Keyes, Steve Forbes and Pat Buchanan.

On a similar note I met Trent Lott who was very cordial.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2011, 10:21:26 PM »

I shook McCain's and Fred Thompson's hands in Iowa during the caucuses. Later that year, I met Pawlenty during a local event. I've obviously met Santorum on a number of occasions.

How do you get around so much in these campaigns?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2011, 10:37:55 PM »

How do you get around so much in these campaigns?

That counts as "getting around so much?"  Tongue

If one commits to going to Iowa for the days leading up to and including the caucus, one better see at least one candidate. It wasn't difficult meeting two of them. As for the other two, like I said, the former came to a local political event (which I no longer attend because of a local political feud between two factions of the party. I happen to be very heavily involved on the one side and reviled by the other) that takes place less than five minutes from my house each year and the latter was my state's U.S. Senator for twelve years as well as my political idol so it wasn't difficult to meet him either.  Tongue
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2011, 10:39:08 PM »

I once shook Rick Perry's hand and said hello to him. We were both soaking wet and half-naked.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2011, 10:39:47 PM »

I once shook Rick Perry's hand and said hello to him. We were both soaking wet and half-naked.

I'm so glad I know the full background of this story already.  Tongue
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2011, 11:49:35 PM »

I almost walked into Tim Pawlenty when he was getting out of an elevator.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2011, 11:58:28 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2011, 12:03:52 AM by ajc0918 »

I'm volunteering at a Huntsman event this weekend in Tampa, so hopefully(fingers crossed) I get to meet him. Smiley

And of course I've met Charlie Crist in numerous occasions.

Oh and I'm friends with Pam Bondi's personal account(FL AG) on facebook and she sent me a birthday message, she probably does it to everyone, but it was still cool since it was all personalized and stuff. (Bondi maybe future VP or Prez hopeful?)
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2011, 09:08:53 AM »

Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Mitt Romney, Michele Bachmann, Tim Pawlenty, Herman Cain, Rick Santorum

Other politicians:

Carol Shea Porter, Paul Hoades, Jean Shaheen, John Lynch, Jim Baldacci, Jim Demint, Frank Guinta, Charlie Bass
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2011, 10:37:01 AM »

I have personally interacted with Haley Barbour (who came to my school once) and Mike Huckabee (talked to him at a book signing in 2009)...
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2011, 12:51:42 PM »

Shook hands with Bill Clinton about a week before the 92 election. He appeared at the Goodyear blimpport (or whatever they call it) in Akron with then Sen. John Glenn. Word of advice to future advance men: Don't ever plan a candidate's speech in a blimp hanger. The acoustics could not have possibly been worse if planned. I and the crowd around us litterally couldn't understand one word in five due to multiple echos.

After the speech I edged my way up through the crowd and got to shake his hand. I told him I was a law student and was inspired to use my degree to improve my community. It's nice to realize I've kept that promise. Smiley He actually did that thumbs up while nodding his head at biting the tip of his tongue thing! To me!! I thought primarily bad impersonators did that, but no, there Bill was in the flesh.

The day before the 84 election (yes, I'm an old Tongue) I was a 15 year old volunteer for the Mondale campaign and shook Geraldine Ferraro's hand at a rally in Market Square (downtown Pittsburgh). If you recall the flap over HW Bush being caught on mike after the veep debate telling a crony "we aimed to kick a little ass last night". I told Ferraro "I know you've heard this countless times before, but kick their ass!". God bless her, she forced a laugh for the callow youth before her and said "we will". I also briefly spoke with her beautiful daughters and developed an instant teenage crush. Wink

Oh, almost forgot. Very early in the 88 campaign, before the Donna Rice scandal hit, I was among a small group of supporters who met Gary Hart when he came to Pittsburgh and visit the Rainbow Kitchen (a well known soup kitchen/food pantry for the poor and homeless). There were more media than supporters, but it was neat. I stuck around afterwards to volunteer time there.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2011, 03:39:25 PM »

Jimmy McMillan is my landlord.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2011, 06:27:03 PM »

So your rent is too damn low?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2011, 06:38:06 PM »

Sure. I spoke on AIM with Polnut!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2011, 07:27:14 PM »

Are you sure that's his hand you shook?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2011, 08:12:51 PM »

Are you sure that's his hand you shook?

and are you sure that it was only a little Grecian formula that you had to wipe off of it?  Wink

(okay, that was my first thought as well.  I just wanted someone else to say it.)

And you guys doubt Perry's electability!?  pshaw.  One cannot think of Rick Perry without thinking of virility and manly fluids.  It's just inot possible. 
Rollback
Rookie

« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2011, 09:32:38 AM »

I shook Mike Huckabee's hand at a book signing in 2009. Good man. I also saw Donald Trump at a Tea Party rally if he counts.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies