Jennings loses on "Jeopardy"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:14:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Jennings loses on "Jeopardy"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Jennings loses on "Jeopardy"  (Read 5532 times)
khirkhib

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2004, 01:08:08 PM »

So Soup.  Do you make most stuff up with out actually looking it up to see if it is true or not or everything.  Jeopardy's rating were doing great wit Jennings though and all the late night interviews and everything Alex couldn't ask for more.  Of course they are going to let  winners go as long as they can and they will continue to create these Everyman Celebraties and catch news cycles.

------------------------------------------------------------------
http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|92107|1|,00.html

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) Ken Jennings, who amassed more than $2.5 million in new income on "Jeopardy!," was taken down Tuesday by, of all things, a question about taxes.
Jennings's unprecedented winning streak on the game show came to an end Tuesday (Nov. 30), 75 shows and $2,520,700 after it began. Nancy Zerg, a real estate agent from Ventura, Calif., became a trivia answer in her own right by correctly answering a Final Jeopardy question that Jennings missed and dethroning the previously unbeatable champ.

The clue, in the category Business and Industry, was: "Most of this firm's 70,000 seasonal white-collar employees work only four months a year." Zerg correctly answered "What is H&R Block?," adding $4,401 to her previous total of $10,000.

Jennings's guess -- "What is FedEx?" -- was wrong, and he lost $5,601 to finish with $8,799.
"Nancy was great ... her timing was just right on," Jennings says in a statement from King World, which syndicates "Jeopardy!" "It was not a fluke. She knew things I didn't know. I thought, 'Nancy, good for you, you totally deserve this.'"

That Zerg even had a chance of winning was something of an upset; for much of his run, Jennings so far outdistanced his competition that he didn't even have to bet on the Final Jeopardy clue. Jennings guessed incorrectly on two Daily Double clues during the game to help Zerg stay within striking distance.

"It hasn't sunk in. Ken is just so good," Zerg says. "I think we both played well, but I got lucky with categories that I knew and he just happened to hit a couple of Daily Double clues that he didn't know."

Jennings's spectacular run began with the June 2 episode of "Jeopardy!," when he won $37,201. His 43rd win, aired in September, surpassed the record for the longest winning streak on a game show. He broke the game-show earnings record Nov. 3 when he upped his total to $2,197,000. During his 75 games -- made possible by the show's decision not to force winners to retire -- he gave correct responses to more than 2,700 clues.

Ratings for the show jumped during the streak as well, improving by more than 20 percent over the comparable period last year.

Jennings is scheduled to appear on both "The Late Show with David Letterman" and "Nightline" Tuesday night and will make the talk-show rounds later this week. A&E has also scheduled a "Biography" featuring him and other "Jeopardy!" winners for Wednesday (Dec. 1).

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2004, 01:36:31 PM »

So Soup.  Do you make most stuff up with out actually looking it up to see if it is true or not or everything.  Jeopardy's rating were doing great wit Jennings though and all the late night interviews and everything Alex couldn't ask for more.  Of course they are going to let  winners go as long as they can and they will continue to create these Everyman Celebraties and catch news cycles.

To quote "The Comic Book Guy"

Seeing as we are unfamiliar with sarcasm , I shall put the money back in the register and inform you that $.99 is the renting price.

Acctually, though, I heard that the ececs were worried that their rating had reached an apex.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2004, 03:19:29 PM »

Jennings isn't a real person.  He is fake.

Anyone every see the movie 'quiz show'?  Ten years from now there will be a huge jeopardy scandal and they'll make a movie out of that, too.
Julien
Squidward
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2004, 04:15:53 PM »

What is Jeopardy?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2004, 04:25:52 PM »

Jeopardy is a game show that I think only appears in North America, although it may appear elsewhere, I'm not sure.

The general premise of it is that, rather than answering questions, contestants are given answers and they have to originate questions.  For example:

Q: He was the first President of the United States.
A: Who is George Washington?

Of course, all questions could be formulated as a question that requires an answer.  It's just a gimmick.

There are two rounds, each with five categories of answers.  In the first round, correct answers are worth anywhere between $100 and $500; in the second round, correct answers are worth anywhere between $200 and $1000.  There are also "Daily Doubles", in which contestants bet an amount of money, and if they get the question right, they earn that amount of money, but if they get the question wrong, they lose that amount of money.

At the end of the game is Final Jeopardy, which is basically a Daily Double, only everyone answers it.

After Final Jeopardy, whoever has the most amount of money accumulated walks away with that amount.

That said, what we're currently talking about in this thread is that a man from Utah named Ken Jennings won something like 75 games straight in Jeopardy and has just now lost.  They used to have a rule that people who won five games straight had to leave, but they removed that.
Julien
Squidward
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2004, 04:30:04 PM »

Thanks
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2020, 09:18:28 PM »

Wow a thread from Ken’s original run on Jeopardy
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2020, 09:22:32 PM »

Gabu, supersoulty, tweed.
so many old timers on just this page alone.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2020, 09:25:21 PM »

What was the final question?

...er, I mean answer?

"Most of this firm's 70,000 seasonal white-collar employees work only 4 months a year."

The answer was H & R Block.  He said Fed Ex.  Hmmm

Hahaha.  They absolutely paid him to take the fall.

I remember Jennings pretty vividly.  My Jeopardy watching habits have always been sporadic but I'd take a break for like three weeks and see him back on again and be like, wow.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2020, 09:35:59 PM »

What was the final question?

...er, I mean answer?

"Most of this firm's 70,000 seasonal white-collar employees work only 4 months a year."

The answer was H & R Block.  He said Fed Ex.  Hmmm

Hahaha.  They absolutely paid him to take the fall.

I remember Jennings pretty vividly.  My Jeopardy watching habits have always been sporadic but I'd take a break for like three weeks and see him back on again and be like, wow.

adjusts tinfoil

No.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2020, 09:52:31 AM »

an American television game show created by Merv Griffin. The current version, a daily syndicated show produced by Sony Pictures Television, premiered on September 10, 1984.

Correct.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2020, 02:46:50 PM »

Is it just be or is Jeopardy much easier now then it was back when Ken Jennings went on his run
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2020, 03:14:56 PM »

Is it just be or is Jeopardy much easier now then it was back when Ken Jennings went on his run

Ken just beat James
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2020, 04:00:58 PM »

Unless you're dumber than you were sixteen years ago, I don't see how it couldn't be easier.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies