Texas Governor Perry
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:07:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Texas Governor Perry
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Texas Governor Perry  (Read 1738 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2011, 02:49:46 PM »

I was talking to someone the other day and someone told me that he (Perry) supported Gore when he ran for president. I was shocked. Do any of you guys know if there is any truth to this?

Either Perry is more reasonable than he gets credit for and not the right wing wacko I've made him out to be OR that Gore is a lot more conservative than people think.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 03:12:46 PM »

I wouldn't think that would lose him any support among the teabaggers. Fred Phelps, the leader of the hate-filled Westboro Baptist Church, also supported Al Gore (until he learned that Gore was a "fag enabler" and then abandoned his support for him).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 03:20:01 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2011, 03:21:52 PM by new, improved Lewis Trondheim »

That is, when Gore ran in the Democratic primaries in 1988 as the Southern White Candidate and Perry was a Democratic State Legislator. He switched parties the following year.
It doesn't mean a thing.

Perry is from that weird patch of West Texas that's barely inhabited and votes like East Texas - the base of the panhandle, as it were.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 04:16:32 PM »

I was talking to someone the other day and someone told me that he (Perry) supported Gore when he ran for president. I was shocked. Do any of you guys know if there is any truth to this?

Either Perry is more reasonable than he gets credit for and not the right wing wacko I've made him out to be OR that Gore is a lot more conservative than people think.

Perry was Gore's Texas campaign chairman.  (This being while he was still a Democrat).  Perry is a political chameleon who goes whichever way the political winds are blowing, as well as a non-stop attention whore, and Gore is both of those things as well.  They're really a perfect fit for each other.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 05:17:07 PM »

Perry was Gore's Texas campaign chairman.  (This being while he was still a Democrat).  Perry is a political chameleon who goes whichever way the political winds are blowing, as well as a non-stop attention whore, and Gore is both of those things as well.  They're really a perfect fit for each other.

how did he win the 2010 primaries? If I were a republican, I would have voted for Hutchison as she doesn't have all the issues that Perry does. She's also been a lifelong republican, as opposed to Perry who was a democrat for 40 years.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 05:26:27 PM »

how did he win the 2010 primaries? If I were a republican, I would have voted for Hutchison as she doesn't have all the issues that Perry does. She's also been a lifelong republican, as opposed to Perry who was a democrat for 40 years.

If 29% of americans don't know who Joe Biden is... and texas is probably the dumbest state in the USA.. I really doubt a majority of texans knew that perry is a former democrat.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 08:03:40 PM »

Incumbency and extremely inept opposition.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 10:04:07 PM »

Incumbency and extremely inept opposition.

Well, his general election opponent wasn't inept.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 10:07:43 PM »

If 29% of americans don't know who Joe Biden is... and texas is probably the dumbest state in the USA.. I really doubt a majority of texans knew that perry is a former democrat.

Its also kind of common there.  A bunch of the State's Republican politicians are former Democrats.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 10:10:39 PM »

But he was a Democrat running in Texas . . . in 2010.  I don't think he could have won if Perry was revealed on the last week to be a terminator robot from the future.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 10:17:36 PM »

Perry, like almost every other Texas politician in his generation (George W. Bush, like his father, is a rare exception), is an ex-Democrat.  He switched parties when he saw an opportunity to beat Jim Hightower for Ag Commish as a Republican (Hightower was way too liberal to be a statewide Texas politician in the 1990s), and never looked back.  His Democratic past is way, way in the past.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 11:40:31 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2011, 11:42:26 PM by redcommander »

Ugh Why couldn't Texas Republicans vote for KBH for Governor? Not only would she be better in Austin, but we could have had Michael Williams in the senate right now. I wouldn't have called her campaign inept btw, Perry just seemed to have benefited from Palin's endorsement.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 11:54:55 PM »

I wonder when this state will tire of him... with no gubernatorial term limits he could conceivably be governor for 10 more years.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 06:41:45 PM »

Governor for life Perry, lol.

Also, most southern Republicans that've been in political office since the eighties started out as Democrats (excepting people like Johnny Isakson who started their careers in suburban areas, where the southern GOP started).     
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 07:38:23 PM »

Yes, sometimes I think Perry's plan is to die as an incumbent Governor.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 08:04:40 PM »

Ugh Why couldn't Texas Republicans vote for KBH for Governor?
She may have had a slightly better chance is Beck didn't torpedo Medina. With the rock solid logic of "Well someone on her staff is a 9-11 truther, therefor she is too." he killed any chance of the race going into a run-off. Otherwise Perry would have been held under 50%
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 08:40:06 PM »

I agree that he plans to die as Governor of Texas. Then again, he could lose at any time now.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 10:12:14 AM »

The abortion issue would have still weighed Hutchison down. Perry was a Dixiecrat; most Texas Dixiecrats switched to the GOP anyway.

Sharron Angle wasn't even a registered Republican during the Reagan Administration.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 10:56:39 AM »

There was certainly some feeling along those lines, but it is generally more effective to make that an issue in the first primary after the party switch.  

And it sends a mixed message to say, "I'm the nice safe moderate Republican that Democrats like Freepcrusher support, and I'm a life long Republican.  And unlike Rick Perry who has been the governor for 10 years, I've only been the US Senator for 16 years"

Or "I was first elected to the Texas legislature 38 years ago, that's where I met my husband Ray.  Then I was the State Treasurer.  After I left that position, they abolished the office as unnecessary"
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 10:58:16 AM »

Debra Medina did actually attack Rick Perry over his past closeness to Al Gore, apparently. Lol.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies