Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 04:17:59 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | |-+  was 1976 the last election where
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: was 1976 the last election where  (Read 2461 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2011, 11:34:45 am »
Ignore

a lot of counties and states that I would never assume would vote for a democratic, did and a lot of counties and states that I would never assume would vote for a republican, also did.
feeblepizza
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 12:08:02 pm »
Ignore

It was also the last one where Democrats won the Deep South and where Republicans won the Northeast.

J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 12:30:49 pm »
Ignore

The Deep South wasn't too unexpected; Carter's southern roots were a major selling point.

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
memphis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 12:31:24 pm »
Ignore

It was also the last one where Democrats won the Deep South and where Republicans won the Northeast.

The GOP did not win the NE. They won a few states there, but as a whole, did badly in the region.

I cannot do anything good under my own power. 
Carlos Danger
wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 01:06:48 pm »
Ignore

Carter carried the Northeast 86-36.

He also carried the North 132-104.

And he carried the Union 172-165.

Badger
badger
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 10:53:09 am »
Ignore

As I've said before, its amazing to compare how many states were actually competative back then before the hard divide into red, blue and purple states. Damn few states in 76 were a rout for either candidate.

A very sad trend. Sad

Your self-serving slacktivism is propelling America to new heights.
Scottish Robb Stark
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 10:56:53 am »
Ignore

As I've said before, its amazing to compare how many states were actually competative back then before the hard divide into red, blue and purple states. Damn few states in 76 were a rout for either candidate.

A very sad trend. Sad

True. Political polarization in current elections is quite disgusting.

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
Lettuce Gay Bacon and Tomato
The Obamanation
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 11:52:13 am »
Ignore

Both candidates were honest? Yes.

Convincing BRTD to drop the Sneakers O'Toole BS is like convincing Sneakers O'Toole to take his sneakers off.

(I realize I'm probably just further encouraging him by saying that, and for this I apologize.)
GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 11:58:10 am »
Ignore

Honestly I believe it was the gaffe by Ford in the second debate...if there had been no gaffe then I believe that Ford would have been president...

Just for the fun of it, summer 2014 reading: I am taking college courses both in July & did in May. I have read all of the material for those. Besides that I read Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story & the book on Kennedy & Nixon by Chris Matthews both cover to cover & before that One Last Kiss: The Chris Coleman Story. All very informative & entertaining books. I have started Rendevouz With Destiny By Craig Shirley.
#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 05:27:34 pm »
Ignore

Honestly I believe it was the gaffe by Ford in the second debate...if there had been no gaffe then I believe that Ford would have been president...
...And there'd be no Conservative revolution, except maybe in the late eighties (1988) or the nineties (1992). But it wouldn't be the one we know today. Heck, the Conservative President in question might even have the bragging point of a surplus then...

MooMooMoo
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 05:44:38 pm »
Ignore

Is there more polarization?

States where one party got 55% or more of the 2 party vote-

1976-

8 Democratic States, representing 85 EVs with D.C.
6 Republican states,  representing 25 EVs.
36  Swing States, representing 428 EVs.

2004-

8 Democratic States, representing 146 EVs with D.C.
20 Republican states,  representing 183 EVs.
22  Swing States, representing 209 EVs.

Is that much more polarized?

the result is a sense that we were told to attend a lavish dinner party that was going to be wonderful and by the time we got there, all the lobster and steak had been eaten, a fight had broken out, the police had been called and all that was left was warm beer and chips.
[/quot
nclib
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 06:51:45 pm »
Ignore

It's hard to find patterns to the 1976 county map outside the South. It seems more of urban and rural voting Democratic and suburbs voting Republican, than any ideological reason.

[George W. Bush] has shattered the myth of white supremacy once and for all. -- Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY)

"George Bush supports abstinence. Lucky Laura."
- sign seen at the March for Women's Lives, 4/25/04

Scottish Robb Stark
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 03:52:23 am »
Ignore

Is that much more polarized?

Yes.

Here's another way to see it. Here are the States that differ from the national PV margin by more than 10 points for either party.

1976 :

Carter : 78
Ford : 39
Competitive : 421

2008 :

McCain : 160
Obama : 157
Competitive : 221

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Badger
badger
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 07:27:03 am »
Ignore

...And there'd be no Conservative revolution, except maybe in the late eighties (1988) or the nineties (1992). But it wouldn't be the one we know today. Heck, the Conservative President in question might even have the bragging point of a surplus then...

Yes, because slashing upper income tax rates as opposed to raising them has shown to be EVER so effective in reducing the deficit. Roll Eyes

Your self-serving slacktivism is propelling America to new heights.
Nichlemn
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 10:25:13 pm »
Ignore

Yes, there was greater variance in state-by-state results in 2004 than 1976, but I think that says a lot more about 1976 than it does about 2004. The default in US politics has been polarisation, 1976 is one of the outliers. Just take a look at pretty much every election from 1856 to 1972 - 1976 is a product of a slow regional realignment, where states are "crossing over" and hence will be competitive for a time.

Scottish Robb Stark
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 01:21:50 pm »
Ignore

Yes, there was greater variance in state-by-state results in 2004 than 1976, but I think that says a lot more about 1976 than it does about 2004. The default in US politics has been polarisation, 1976 is one of the outliers. Just take a look at pretty much every election from 1856 to 1972 - 1976 is a product of a slow regional realignment, where states are "crossing over" and hence will be competitive for a time.

Are you sure ? Here is 1960 :

Nixon : 68
Kennedy : 61
Competitive : 408
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 01:24:26 pm by Lionel Jospin Revivalist »Logged

Nichlemn
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 07:06:45 am »
Ignore

Are you sure ? Here is 1960 :

Nixon : 68
Kennedy : 61
Competitive : 408

It's in the same time period, in a period of realignment. (The South began to realign before the Civil Rights Act).

GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 08:52:54 am »
Ignore

It's funny that 1960 is brought up as an example because it, along with 1976, are the two post-World War II elections where, IMO, the candidates were the most similar to each other. Both also happened to be decided by fairly close margins. The closest we have to that now would be the 2000 election, a near 50-50 split with similar dynamics to both 1960 and 1976.

Gore: 52
Bush: 65
Competitive: 421

So using Antonio V's formula of counting states that differ from the national PV margin by more than 10 points for either party, the most recent election with a similar result to 1960 was 2000, with more competitive electoral votes. The difference between the two candidates in PV was also almost exactly the same, as well as having a two-term VP heading the ticket for each incumbent party losing despite the popularity of the incumbent President. Some states are just "swingier" than others are, as 2008 shows.

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
Scottish Robb Stark
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 04:06:51 am »
Ignore

Napoleon, your map is not made in the way mine was. It's not the variation from the candidate's score that you must count, but the variation from his margin of victory. My criterion is twice more restrictive than yours.

And here is the map we get :

Gore : 168
Bush : 146
Competitive : 224

Basically as polarized as 2008.

Scottish Robb Stark
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 04:09:44 am »
Ignore

It's in the same time period, in a period of realignment. (The South began to realign before the Civil Rights Act).

So 1976 was not an outlier : it was part of a long period during which politics were less polarized. The reason of the lack of polarization during this period was not my point.

GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 04:37:31 am »
Ignore

Antonio, the popular vote margin was less than one percentage point. It was essentially a tie.

Scottish Robb Stark
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 05:59:14 am »
Ignore

Antonio, the popular vote margin was less than one percentage point. It was essentially a tie.

So ? What does it change ? Huh

GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 06:08:35 am »
Ignore

58% in a given state would be R+10 or D+10.

Scottish Robb Stark
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 06:11:06 am »
Ignore

58% in a given state would be R+10 or D+10.

No. Margins, not % votes. 53% in a given State would be R+10 or D+10 (if the opponent gets 43%).

Don't reason in terms of percentage, but in terms of margin.

GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 06:15:40 am »
Ignore

Your wording is/ was very confusing.  I took todiffer from the margin by ten as to add or subtract ten. You're wanting the margin itself to be within ten, which would be a difference OF ten or less.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:21:24 am by Napoleon »Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout