what in your opinion was the best congressional class?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:42:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  what in your opinion was the best congressional class?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: what in your opinion was the best congressional class?  (Read 557 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 14, 2012, 04:25:05 PM »

The criteria is that it has to be at least 10 years ago (2002 being the latest). I think the 1974 class was the best. Here are some of its members across the top of my head:

Pat Leahy (Judiciary Chairman)
Paul Tsongas (later a senator)
Chris Dodd (later a senator)
Tom Downey
Jim Florio (later governor of NJ)
John Glenn
Paul Simon (later a senator)
Tom Harkin (later became senator)
Jim Oberstar
Max Baucus (later became senator)
Tim Wirth (future senator)
Gary Hart
Henry Waxman (committee chairman of Oversight and Energy)
George Miller (Ed and Labor Chair)
Dale Bumpers
Harold Ford Sr
Wendell Ford

like 2010, most of the freshman were of one party. But there were some well known republicans in this class too:
Millicent Fenwick
Chuck Grassley
Larry Pressler
Jake Garn

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 12:09:01 AM »

I recall that the class of 1946 had two who became president: Kennedy and Nixon, and I believe the first Congress also had two future presidents: Madison and Monroe. Offhand, I'm curious if there are any other multi-president congressional classes.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 12:33:30 AM »

I recall that the class of 1946 had two who became president: Kennedy and Nixon, and I believe the first Congress also had two future presidents: Madison and Monroe. Offhand, I'm curious if there are any other multi-president congressional classes.

The 23rd Congress (elected in 1832) saw freshmen Congressmen Franklin Pierce and Millard Fillmore.

William H. Harrison and John Tyler were both elected to the House in 1816 by special elections during the 15th Congress.

Martin Van Buren and James Buchanan were both in the class of 1820, although the former joined the Senate, and the latter the House.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 11:41:44 PM »

The 23rd Congress (elected in 1832) saw freshmen Congressmen Franklin Pierce and Millard Fillmore.

William H. Harrison and John Tyler were both elected to the House in 1816 by special elections during the 15th Congress.

Martin Van Buren and James Buchanan were both in the class of 1820, although the former joined the Senate, and the latter the House.

Thanks. Smiley
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 06:50:33 PM »

1992 senate class, yr of the woman help elect Bill Clinton as prez and ushered in Carol Mosley Braun the first black woman US Senator and helped usher Prez Obama to the WH.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies