Indiana CD 2: Possible rematch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:08:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Indiana CD 2: Possible rematch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Indiana CD 2: Possible rematch  (Read 3025 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2011, 04:57:35 PM »

It sounds like "Silent " Joe Donnelly's opponent from the 2010 race will be running again. Jackie Walorski confirmed this on a local Tea Party aligned talk show.

All subject to redistricting shenanigans because the GOP has full control of that process.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 05:00:05 PM »

It's already an R+2 district. Donnelly got in by the skin of his teeth last time, and 06 and 08 were Dem years.

This one's yours, Republicans.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 05:08:10 PM »

With the right tweaks (Kosciusko, Howard or putting Donnelly in a primary fight with Vislosky while keeping Walorski in that district) it will be
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 05:24:40 PM »

It could backfire... remember Santorum, I think dems. tried the same with him in the 90's and he still won.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 06:41:56 PM »

I agree with that. But there is still a chance Joe to run for the senate or governor.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 07:13:49 PM »

No way to handicap the race without knowing what the district will look like. For all we know, it could be an entirely different map.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 02:03:47 AM »

It's already an R+2 district. Donnelly got in by the skin of his teeth last time, and 06 and 08 were Dem years.

This one's yours, Republicans.

And 10 wasn't a Republican year?

R+2 isn't very strong in that part of the world (well not that it's really strong anywhere of course)...but of course we still don't know how the district will end up.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 05:07:17 PM »

No surprise here. Looking at her Facebook, I don't think her campaign ever really ended.

My guess is this district will be changed enough to give a good edge to Walorski, which will likely scare Donnelly into retirement or running statewide. I'd love to see a strong challenge to Tony Bennett.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 07:19:18 PM »

No surprise here. Looking at her Facebook, I don't think her campaign ever really ended.

My guess is this district will be changed enough to give a good edge to Walorski, which will likely scare Donnelly into retirement or running statewide. I'd love to see a strong challenge to Tony Bennett.

The district would have to get rid of St. Joseph in order for Walorski to have the edge.  Just adding all of Elkhart county back to the district and taking away Kokomo wont be enough to dislodge Donnelly. 
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 01:43:05 PM »

But putting all of Howard county would.
Yankees
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 05:48:38 PM »

Donnely is definatley going down.  Indiana is going to vote against Obama, and that will help bring down Donnely.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 08:45:59 AM »

Donnelly has already hinted at retiring from the House because he knows that he would lose anyway, especially with redistricting. He's more likely to run for Governor or Senate. In essence, he's not getting anywhere, ever.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 02:35:15 PM »

Donnelly has already hinted at retiring from the House because he knows that he would lose anyway, especially with redistricting. He's more likely to run for Governor or Senate. In essence, he's not getting anywhere, ever.
I've heard he has some interest in the SoS position, which will be in 2014. Probably his best opportunity of winning a statewide election. He'll likely have a name recognition edge over whoever he faces there. If Charlie Brown runs for a second term, it certainly has a good chance of going to Donnelly, with the fiasco that's going on there.

Y'all shoulda joined me in supporting Osili. Wink I had a bad feeling at Brown, starting way back in May of 2010.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 08:44:05 PM »

I've heard he has some interest in the SoS position, which will be in 2014. Probably his best opportunity of winning a statewide election. He'll likely have a name recognition edge over whoever he faces there. If Charlie Brown runs for a second term, it certainly has a good chance of going to Donnelly, with the fiasco that's going on there.

Y'all shoulda joined me in supporting Osili. Wink I had a bad feeling at Brown, starting way back in May of 2010.
White
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 09:04:06 PM »

White
Tongue I knew that. I originally thought his name was Charlie Brown (which is also ironically the name of my county commissioner), and called him that forever. Sometimes I just slip up on that.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 12:50:58 AM »

I voted for the Libertarian.
timothyinMD

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 10:56:22 AM »

Oh great, thanks for giving us Joe Donnelly for another term
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 01:05:36 PM »

I live in the fifth district and was an active supporter of Walorski. I voted libertarian for SoS and my district congressional race.  Chard Reid
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 01:50:59 PM »

The district would have to get rid of St. Joseph in order for Walorski to have the edge.  Just adding all of Elkhart county back to the district and taking away Kokomo wont be enough to dislodge Donnelly. 

It's very easy to throw South Bend in with Gary and Michigan City, and still have population to spare. to pick up the right parts of the rest of Lake County.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 05:03:44 PM »

Governor Daniels has stated that he doesn't want to go crazy with the map, so chances are South Bend will still anchor IN-2.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
« Edited: April 06, 2011, 08:20:09 AM by krazen1211 »

Governor Daniels has stated that he doesn't want to go crazy with the map, so chances are South Bend will still anchor IN-2.

That was before Indiana Democrats decided to be grade A douches. A lot of people are going to want to counterpunch.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 01:50:06 PM »

That was before Indiana Democrats decided to be grade A douches. A lot of people are going to was to counterpunch.
They'll probably just flee the state again. Anytime a crisis emerges, they leave. I'm sorry, but they're completely ignoring the will of the people by doing this. Republicans completely owned Democrats in the last election, and I think that's soemwhat of a mandate from the people to put through their legislation.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 02:17:57 PM »

They'll probably just flee the state again. Anytime a crisis emerges, they leave. I'm sorry, but they're completely ignoring the will of the people by doing this. Republicans completely owned Democrats in the last election, and I think that's soemwhat of a mandate from the people to put through their legislation.

Per the Indiana constitution, that shouldn't work.

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Redistricting_in_Indiana

However, lawmakers are on very tight deadlines for redistricting. By April 29, 2011, the General Assembly must have congressional boundaries re-drawn. If the deadline is not met, a special redistricting commission is formed. The five person commission consists of the House Speaker, Senate President, Committee Chairpersons of elections/redistricting committees in both houses, and an additional appointee by the Governor.

The fleebaggers can do what they want. But that 5 person commission has 5 Republicans on it. It won't help Daniels, but it should help Governor Pence 2 years from now.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 02:46:26 PM »

That was before Indiana Democrats decided to be grade A douches. A lot of people are going to was to counterpunch.

Yeah, the Democrats should show some respect for the will of the people, same goes for the ones in Wisconsin!  When Republicans got slaughtered across the board in the 2008 elections, you didn't see them acting like grade-A douches who blatantly ignored the will of the people by doing things such as wantonly abusing the filibuster rule and doing everything they could to prevent the Democrats from carrying out the agenda that the people obviously elected them to enact.  Oh wait...
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 08:10:38 AM »

Come on, Isaac. What Daniels is trying right now is grossly unpopular and has nothing to do with the last election. Like Walker, Kasich, et al, these actions were either HIGHLY hidden or downright unmentioned during the campaign. This is NOT what the GOP ran on or what voters expected/wanted.

Besides, wouldn't you agree from the recent primary polls between Lugar and Mourdock that maybe sometimes the immediate will of the people--even Indianans--isn't always the best decision? Wink
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies