Rendell vs. Ridge in PA?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:10:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rendell vs. Ridge in PA?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rendell vs. Ridge in PA?  (Read 5918 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2004, 11:43:32 PM »

Now that Ridge is no longer Homeland Security Secretary, will he try to get his old job back? Governor vs. Ex-Governor would be something.
danwxman

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 01:46:06 AM »

It would be an interesting match. Rendell would probably still win though.

Won't happen. Ridge seems doesn't seem to aspire executive positions.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 01:04:14 PM »

If Ridge ran and I lived in PA, I'd probably be a swing voter. I like both candidates.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 02:52:31 PM »

Ok while I agree that Ridge probably won't run I would like to strongly disagree with the idea that Rendell could beat Ridge. Ridge was one of the most popular Governors in PA history. I'd love to hear this theory on how Rendell would win...

It seems to me that there are still a few Dems that think this is the Rendell from 2002.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 03:05:31 PM »

It would be a very very close race.
danwxman

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 03:56:49 PM »

Ok while I agree that Ridge probably won't run I would like to strongly disagree with the idea that Rendell could beat Ridge. Ridge was one of the most popular Governors in PA history. I'd love to hear this theory on how Rendell would win...

It seems to me that there are still a few Dems that think this is the Rendell from 2002.

Why wasn't Ridge campaigning for Bush in PA? He wasn't that popular.....and let's not forget that Bush lost PA. Ridge is now tied with Bush...he couldn't win the state. It would also be too hard to overwhelm Rendell's support in the Southeast.

Ridge was an ok governor, he was pretty environmentally friendly...but he did nothing for the state. He left PA with the worst economy ever...he started a few economic development programs but never applied them and they were severely underfunded. Rendell is the only one to actually *do* something. Check out the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, job growth is finally starting to happen in Western PA from some of the same companies Rendell has been working with.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 04:20:05 PM »

Why wasn't Ridge campaigning for Bush in PA? He wasn't that popular.....and let's not forget that Bush lost PA. Ridge is now tied with Bush...he couldn't win the state. It would also be too hard to overwhelm Rendell's support in the Southeast.

Ridge was an ok governor, he was pretty environmentally friendly...but he did nothing for the state. He left PA with the worst economy ever...he started a few economic development programs but never applied them and they were severely underfunded. Rendell is the only one to actually *do* something. Check out the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, job growth is finally starting to happen in Western PA from some of the same companies Rendell has been working with.

Bush lost PA. Ok? What does that have to do with Ridge? As for Ridge being "tied to Bush" that's not so bad in PA. Kerry - 51  Bush - 49. Close race. Add the fact that many conservative Dems who voted for Kerry will probably vote against Rendell and you have a Ridge victory.

As for Ridge "doing nothing for the state," I wonder how he was re-elected with 58% of the vote. I'm guessing if he did that well, he had to do something. His approval ratings also reached about 65% in his first term.

And Rendell...yeah he's "doing something." Great Eagles analysis, Governor.
danwxman

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 04:25:34 PM »

Bush lost PA. Ok? What does that have to do with Ridge? As for Ridge being "tied to Bush" that's not so bad in PA. Kerry - 51  Bush - 49. Close race. Add the fact that many conservative Dems who voted for Kerry will probably vote against Rendell and you have a Ridge victory.

As for Ridge "doing nothing for the state," I wonder how he was re-elected with 58% of the vote. I'm guessing if he did that well, he had to do something. His approval ratings also reached about 65% in his first term.

PA favors incumbents, not a surprise. Bush did better but do you think those people would all come out to support Ridge? No. Those union Democrats that swinged the state towards Bush would vote Rendell.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 04:28:48 PM »

No. Those union Democrats that swinged the state towards Bush would vote Rendell.

Many Democrats are not happy with Rendell.
danwxman

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 04:30:45 PM »

No. Those union Democrats that swinged the state towards Bush would vote Rendell.

Many Republicans are happy with Rendell.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 04:40:17 PM »

I don't think so. The Rendell Republicans are fading.
danwxman

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 04:43:34 PM »

I don't think so. The Rendell Republicans are fading.

Southeast PA will pull it out for Rendell just like they did for Kerry. Sorry.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2004, 04:57:06 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I hope SE PA Dems think exactly how you think. You guys want to continue to think Rendell is the popular guy he once was. I urge you to continue that thought. Rendell won't do as well as Kerry did in SE PA.

But let's just say he does. Let's say you have everything going in your favor. Let's say you have the high turnout that you had this election. Now here's what I say: Rendell would lose.

Kerry - 51%   Bush - 49%   That's with Kerry's strong showing in SE PA, too. That makes it a two point race.

All that is needed: a relatively strong Republican candidate. No Piccola, no Scranton. They can't raise the money. They aren't good choices for Republicans. Put up someone like Hart who could get western PA to solidly vote against Rendell. Or put up Toomey who, whether you like it or not, could take the Lehigh Valley. Maybe Schweiker? He can put up a strong challenge in Bucks county (where he is from and a county where Rendell won by almost 30%).

Sorry PA Dems but this isn't a wrapped up race. Rendell will have a good challenge.
danwxman

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2004, 05:33:04 PM »

I hope SE PA Dems think exactly how you think. You guys want to continue to think Rendell is the popular guy he once was. I urge you to continue that thought. Rendell won't do as well as Kerry did in SE PA.

But let's just say he does. Let's say you have everything going in your favor. Let's say you have the high turnout that you had this election. Now here's what I say: Rendell would lose.

Kerry - 51%   Bush - 49%   That's with Kerry's strong showing in SE PA, too. That makes it a two point race.

All that is needed: a relatively strong Republican candidate. No Piccola, no Scranton. They can't raise the money. They aren't good choices for Republicans. Put up someone like Hart who could get western PA to solidly vote against Rendell. Or put up Toomey who, whether you like it or not, could take the Lehigh Valley. Maybe Schweiker? He can put up a strong challenge in Bucks county (where he is from and a county where Rendell won by almost 30%).

Sorry PA Dems but this isn't a wrapped up race. Rendell will have a good challenge.

Keep up the hope! It's just not going to happen. Every Pennsylvania Governor has been re-elected since the law was changed to allow it. The fact is the Republicans aren't going to put a decent challenge because they know the odds are stacked way against them.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2004, 05:35:58 PM »

Rendell didn't have much of a big base to begin with (53%) and if that is fading, even just slightly, he will lose.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2004, 05:38:26 PM »

Every Pennsylvania Governor has been re-elected since the law was changed to allow it.

That's is the funniest thing I have heard since "Kerry will win because he is taller", no election is a FOR SURE win, with good funding and endorsements (the White House, Santorum, and MAYBE Specter would probably back Ridge 110%) anything is possible.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 05:46:00 PM »

"Odds way against them?" What? Tell me what Rendell you are speaking of? This is 2004. Last approval ratings showed Rendell with some of the highest disapproval numbers and low approval ratings.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2004, 06:32:18 PM »

Rendell's latest approval rating is 51% according to Quinnipac University, somebody can easily beat that guy.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2004, 07:04:23 PM »

Rendell's latest approval rating is 51% according to Quinnipac University, somebody can easily beat that guy.

Oh no! Don't tell some of the PA Dems on the forum that! No one can beat Rendell in their eyes.

Seriously, I don't think there has been a Dem on this forum from PA who has admitted that Rendell can be beat. But just to make sure I'll ask the question again to my Democratic friends from the Keystone State: Can Ed Rendell be beat if he runs for re-election in 2006? If you believe there is a situation were Rendell can be beat, who would be the candidate that could defeat him?
danwxman

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2004, 07:35:33 PM »

lol, I've said many times that Rendell isn't unbeatable...I just don't think the Republicans are going to put much into running a decent candidate since they know the odds are against them winning. That's exactly why you are seeing Hart and Toomey stay out of this.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2004, 07:44:27 PM »

lol, I've said many times that Rendell isn't unbeatable...I just don't think the Republicans are going to put much into running a decent candidate since they know the odds are against them winning. That's exactly why you are seeing Hart and Toomey stay out of this.

If Rendell is not unbeatable, who could beat him? Are you saying that Hart or Toomey can defeat him?
danwxman

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2004, 07:48:51 PM »

If Rendell is not unbeatable, who could beat him? Are you saying that Hart or Toomey can defeat him?

I've already given my predictions on another thread, remember? I think Hart could come pretty close.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2004, 07:50:08 PM »

I've already given my predictions on another thread, remember? I think Hart could come pretty close.

My question was if Rendell is not unbeatable, who could beat him? Not who can come close. Can you think of anyone that can beat him?
danwxman

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2004, 07:51:00 PM »

My question was if Rendell is not unbeatable, who could beat him? Not who can come close. Can you think of anyone that can beat him?

You take everything I say wayyyyy too literally. Obviously Hart could come close and *could* beat him, but I don't think she would. Is it possible? Yes.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2004, 08:06:59 PM »

You take everything I say wayyyyy too literally. Obviously Hart could come close and *could* beat him, but I don't think she would. Is it possible? Yes.

This has nothing to do with whether or not I'm taking what you say literally. I asked a simple question and it's very hard to get a simple answer out of you. Who could beat Rendell, in your opinion, if he is not unbeatable. I'm going to take the comment about Hart possibly winning as your answer.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies