How can the Tea Party and austerity measures be stopped?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:43:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How can the Tea Party and austerity measures be stopped?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How can the Tea Party and austerity measures be stopped?  (Read 3291 times)
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 08:41:38 PM »

I find it hilarious that the Democrats on the forum are just as energized against BJrevivalist, if not more so, than the Republicans.

Ah, I see my nickname is catching on. Good, very good.
t_host1

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 11:41:01 PM »

Somebody should run on a platform of returning public union rights and social security coverage to where they were in the 1930s, since we've clearly gone so radically towards laissez faire since then.

It really is amusing, when you think about it, that we still have the same 40 hour work week that we had in the 1930s.

I agree, eliminate it....  minimum wage to...
as so stated in the sovereign deeds act, 4th & 5th amendments
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 10:10:25 AM »

It really is amusing, when you think about it, that we still have the same 40 hour work week that we had in the 1930s.

We should have a legally mandated 20 hour work week by now.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 11:32:44 AM »

Did you just call me a "Democrat"?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 06:10:10 PM »

A 20 hour work week? Are you serious? I actually think 40 is too short if we are to maximize productivity. We could easily move it to 50 and offer an extra week of vacation and get a lot more done as a nation.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 07:51:39 PM »

A 20 hour work week? Are you serious? I actually think 40 is too short if we are to maximize productivity. We could easily move it to 50 and offer an extra week of vacation and get a lot more done as a nation.

a lot of jobs could probably use less hours and be just as productive. if we are looking for more productivity we would need to find a way to pay people for that rather than how long they work.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 12:31:42 AM »

Any thoughts, or are we just going to sit back and allow them to take us back two hundred years?

I heckled the bejeepers out of them when they came to Covington. They haven't shown their faces around here since.
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2011, 07:24:29 PM »

Any thoughts, or are we just going to sit back and allow them to take us back two hundred years?

I heckled the bejeepers out of them when they came to Covington. They haven't shown their faces around here since.

Personally I'm starting to think it's time to move to a new country. The Libertarians have won this century.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2011, 07:38:16 PM »

Personally I'm starting to think it's time to move to a new country. The Libertarians have won this century.

PROTIP:  When packing, keep your clothes in plastic dry cleaning bags.  Rolling the garments also helps to keep away those pesky wrinkles.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2011, 07:41:48 PM »

Lol, it's barely a decade old...

They're a vocal minority, once they try to start cutting real bloated programs... they'll be smacked down.
t_host1

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011, 07:52:41 PM »

memo on the new countries- shelf empty, but there is good news, a few are currently being recycled.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 08:10:01 PM »

Sure, there may be some real Tea Parties, but then again, their message and mentality too is no different than the stereotypical South Park, "THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!" mentality. On the whole, with some exceptions, the Tea Party is truly an astroturf movement by and for Republicans--even though they like to claim it's not about parties-- who claim they simply want to ''take their country back.'' Funny how such tea parties never rose up under Bush, a white Republican president who was also a big spender.

Actually there were many conservative protests against Bush's immigration bill in both 2006 and 2007, and there were several protests on both sides against TARP. Bush's spending did provoke vocal opposition from many Republicans in the House such as Mike Pence, Ron Paul, Jeff Flake, and others who made efforts to remove or reduce spending levels in many of the bills.

It also fails to consider the staggering increases in spending that Obama has enacted for many programs and agencies separate from the high costs of the recession (automatic spending, tarp, stimulus etc).
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2011, 01:28:52 PM »

What is lacking is consumption, not production, Nappy.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »

Why stop? We are getting rid of the glut of public sector workers and replacing them with private sector workers.

http://blogs.forbes.com/afontevecchia/2011/03/30/ahead-of-fridays-employment-report-q1-job-cuts-fall-to-lowest-since-95/

Shining a light in the tunnel, Wednesday was marked by strong economic data in the U.S.  A report on job cuts showed that employers announced 41,528 layoffs in March, a substantial 18% drop from February’s 50,702.  With the government/non-profit sector responsible for almost half of the announced cuts, and Washington, D.C. as the second location with the most job cuts, the report lends evidence to the dire situation faced by the public sector.  Dominating monthly cuts, the government sector announced 19,099 layoffs, 46% of the total number.

Regardless, the firm responsible for the report was relatively bullish.  Noting that Q1, with 130,749 announced cuts, recorded the lowest number of planned layoffs in the first three months of a year since 1995, when 97,716 jobs were cut. Rick Cobb, executive VP of the firm, explained March’s results:

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2011, 04:03:21 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2011, 04:06:41 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

You want to stop the Tea Party? We will sure as hell try and stop your guy too. President Obama is the embodiment of every thing I hate. He is a hypocrite. Remember all those anti war rallies? Remember the Iraq war he hated so bad. Look at Libya.  Clearly this thread is a giant troll in itself. Congratulations, you forced me to sink to BRTDs level. Just like the Hippie movement, we will go away in 10 years anyway.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2011, 06:49:04 PM »

You want to stop the Tea Party? We will sure as hell try and stop your guy too. President Obama is the embodiment of every thing I hate. He is a hypocrite. Remember all those anti war rallies? Remember the Iraq war he hated so bad. Look at Libya.  Clearly this thread is a giant troll in itself. Congratulations, you forced me to sink to BRTDs level. Just like the Hippie movement, we will go away in 10 years anyway.

I agree it's a troll...

However, it's not anti-"War" - it's opposed to a particular war, Iraq was a cock-up of monumental proportions based on exaggerations and outright lies...

One "war" doesn't equal another, just because of what it is - the dynamics, cause and background are totally different.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2011, 05:07:25 AM »

Obama killed both Liberalism and comedy values of this thread Sad
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2011, 06:36:13 AM »

A default, a depression, hyperinflation, or some combination of the three. There is no way to pay for all the garbage the US gov. is doing, and if you keep claiming there is then you are the delusional one.

Take Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid. They are huge sinks that soak up money and contribute to rises in healthcare costs. They are far too huge to pay for, especially once the demographics switch and there are more people getting money than there are giving into it. They are massive ponzi schemes. Get rid of them.

Or the US military budget. Does the US REALLY need to have bases in 130+ countries? Is Germany in danger of Soviet tanks invading? Is Japan going to be rolled over by China the instant the US leaves? Not really. Furthermore, the US DoD is famous for putting loads of money into pointless projects that never produce anything of value. Major money could be saved there.

How about foreign aid? Why is the US sending its money to other countries when it is already trillions of dollars in debt? That should be a very easy place to cut money from.

The opposition to "austerity" is reminding me of the Democrats complaining about people opposing the laws regarding home ownership ten years ago. Whenever people tried to get rid of them, the response was "You just don't want poor people to have a home", as if we are cackling villains out to cause mischief rather than addressing a problem that is quite evident and will not fix itself. Their silly argument worked that time, and it contributed to the most recent recession. If it flies again this time, the US economy is going to be utterly destroyed in the next bout of corrections, and you won't be able to preserve any of these programs no matter how much you want to "help" the poor.
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2011, 10:48:33 AM »

A default, a depression, hyperinflation, or some combination of the three. There is no way to pay for all the garbage the US gov. is doing, and if you keep claiming there is then you are the delusional one.

Take Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid. They are huge sinks that soak up money and contribute to rises in healthcare costs. They are far too huge to pay for, especially once the demographics switch and there are more people getting money than there are giving into it. They are massive ponzi schemes. Get rid of them.

Or the US military budget. Does the US REALLY need to have bases in 130+ countries? Is Germany in danger of Soviet tanks invading? Is Japan going to be rolled over by China the instant the US leaves? Not really. Furthermore, the US DoD is famous for putting loads of money into pointless projects that never produce anything of value. Major money could be saved there.

How about foreign aid? Why is the US sending its money to other countries when it is already trillions of dollars in debt? That should be a very easy place to cut money from.

The opposition to "austerity" is reminding me of the Democrats complaining about people opposing the laws regarding home ownership ten years ago. Whenever people tried to get rid of them, the response was "You just don't want poor people to have a home", as if we are cackling villains out to cause mischief rather than addressing a problem that is quite evident and will not fix itself. Their silly argument worked that time, and it contributed to the most recent recession. If it flies again this time, the US economy is going to be utterly destroyed in the next bout of corrections, and you won't be able to preserve any of these programs no matter how much you want to "help" the poor.

Yeah, I stopped reading when you trotted out the Libertarian "any program which helps the needy is a ponzi scheme" canard.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »

Yeah, I stopped reading when you trotted out the Libertarian "any program which helps the needy is a ponzi scheme" canard.

Social Security is pretty much a textbook Ponzi scheme, though. The huge time delay involved in seeing any returns & the mandatory participation by all working citizens are the major reasons it doesn't collapse. Medicare is the same thing, though more abstractly formulated. Medicaid probably doesn't qualify, for the basic reason that the investors never actually see the returns.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2011, 03:11:15 PM »

Uh, no. It is a textbook example of a ponzi scheme. You put money into it for the guys above you to make money, and hope the next suckers will pay you back the difference later. It can't work. Even assuming nothing is done, it will be impossible to maintain once the number of people receiving SS overtakes the number of people making money. But if you think you can somehow prove it isn't, feel free to try.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies