Anyone notice how the press is lifting up Islam while smearing Christianity?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:52:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Anyone notice how the press is lifting up Islam while smearing Christianity?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Anyone notice how the press is lifting up Islam while smearing Christianity?  (Read 8898 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2011, 09:50:28 AM »

badger
so then, you have no problem with taking the side of a mob that wants sharia...and you have no problem with 2/5 of uk muslims wanting sharia...as long as it doesn't impact u?  wow, what a nice person u r
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2011, 10:04:51 AM »

badger
so then, you have no problem with taking the side of a mob that wants sharia...and you have no problem with 2/5 of uk muslims wanting sharia...as long as it doesn't impact u?  wow, what a nice person u r

No, Jim, I oppose laws imposing fundamentalist religious mores on society at large, regardless of whether the religious inspiration is orthodox Islam or orthodox Christianity. I simply believe that labeling all or even most Muslims in America as a threat to national security or a lobby for imposing Sharia law is simply incorrect, as is saying that the media is unfairly "pro-Islam and anti-Christianity" in its coverage. And the evidence you've offered of the latter has been decidedly weak.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2011, 10:41:30 AM »

badger,
so u don't support muslims who want sharia law, including the egyptian street and the 2/5 of muslims in the uk?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2011, 11:04:29 AM »

1. There aren't billions of Muslims in the world. There might be 2 or so by this point, but I think even that might be a stretch (last time I checked they were 15-20% of a world population of about 7 billion)

It's 1.57–1.65 billion according to Wikipedia, just FYI.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2011, 11:19:22 AM »

again, numbers aside, why are we siding with anyone opposed to freedom?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2011, 11:24:37 AM »

again, numbers aside, why are we siding with anyone opposed to freedom?

Overgeneralization much?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2011, 11:33:19 AM »

dibble, sharia is tyranny...and tyranny is tyranny...so unless ur going to argue sharia isn't tyranny, how can u support, generally or specifically, anyone who advocates it?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2011, 12:10:32 PM »

dibble, sharia is tyranny...and tyranny is tyranny...

It's sounds laughable in a lips of a Christian fundamentalist.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2011, 12:14:52 PM »

dibble, sharia is tyranny...and tyranny is tyranny...

It's sounds laughable in a lips of a Christian fundamentalist.

Perhaps...but here's a question and I'm not sure how I'd answer...if islam/sharia presents the threat of tyranny...AND if Christianity and the Judeo-Christian moral code also presents the threat of tyranny...is one a worse situation to live under as opposed to the other?  Why or why not?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2011, 01:06:46 PM »

dibble, sharia is tyranny...and tyranny is tyranny...so unless ur going to argue sharia isn't tyranny, how can u support, generally or specifically, anyone who advocates it?

*facepalm* Do you even understand what the word "overgeneralization" means?

Also, keep in mind that the world is more complex than "tyranny is tyranny" - some tyrannies are worse than others.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2011, 01:12:37 PM »

dibble, so you think the forcing others to accept a religion is worth openly supporting over what existed in egypt?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2011, 01:15:38 PM »

I can think of no worse tyranny that physically forcing someone to believe something
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2011, 01:19:38 PM »

I can think of no worse tyranny that physically forcing someone to believe something

I knew that would be your answer.  That said, physical coercion is the most despicable thing eh?  Mental/Emotional/Cultural/Financial coercion to adhere to a moral code or the regulations/norms promulgated, explicitly or otherwise...(say...religions soft power as opposed to its hard power) is less offensive I presume?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2011, 01:20:17 PM »

that 27thMarch story I posted yesterday...well at this moment that is the lead article at cnn.com
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2011, 01:23:41 PM »

bullmoose, r u saying the US is, or has been at any time in ur life, under a christian version of sharia law?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2011, 01:29:59 PM »

bullmoose, r u saying the US is, or has been at any time in ur life, under a christian version of sharia law?

Not at all.  But thats not to say, some religiously based impositions don't exist...perhaps to some, a form of "christian tyranny." 

But thats where my question comes in...it really wasn't posed to you as I clearly knew, for better or worse, where you stood...if there is such a thing as islamic/sharia based tyranny...if one would call the regulations tyranny...which I know you would and if there was such a thing as Christian based tyranny...if one would call the typical "christian" country's socio-economic/cultural rules and its laws...tyranny...which would be worse to live under, or are both equally as bad...why/why not?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2011, 01:31:32 PM »

Without presuming too much, I think that is the question (as overly verbose as it is, sorry) you are asking, or should be asking.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2011, 01:40:42 PM »

for the 1000th time, let me be clear on this...any forced religion, christian or otherwise, is tyranny...that's why I have opposed sodomy laws and why I think consenting adults ing should have the right to privacy and should e free to believe and say what they want short of shouting fire in a theater

so don't attempt to use ur ignorance of my beliefs to justify ur support for those who want to establish a state religion 
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2011, 01:50:11 PM »

bullmose, I was referring to everyone, I wasn't directing it at u
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2011, 02:08:19 PM »

if the question is what tyranny do I find worse, christian or muslim...I see no difference for I would be killed under either
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #120 on: March 28, 2011, 03:48:32 PM »

dibble, so you think the forcing others to accept a religion is worth openly supporting over what existed in egypt?

Maybe, maybe not - as I said, some tyrannies are worse than others, be they religious in nature or not.

The premise is that the status quo wasn't acceptable and as such change is needed. Whether that change ends up being for the better has not been established yet. Hopefully it will - not all people there there support imposing sharia, and that includes many Muslims, and hopefully their voices will have influence. I harbor no delusions that the results will turn Egypt into paradise on Earth or anything, but should they at least gain more political rights and freedoms it should allow for the possibility of future improvements. Under the old regime such progress would have been veritably impossible.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2011, 07:45:25 PM »

johanus, ur making it sound like islam is a threat only to christianty, when in reality it is a threat to anyone not muslim, including those at CNN who r lifting it up

That wasn't my intent.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2011, 09:10:45 PM »

It also didn't really seem to me that the either the Gilgoff piece on CNN's website or the O'Brien program "smeared" Christianity at all.  They chronicled things like the threats against the Islamic center in Dearborn and both the vandalism and court cases that were brought against the Islamic center in Murfeesboro.  But neither journalist, it seemed to me, leveled blame at Christianity, Christian beliefs or anything like that.  The question seems in both stories to be, in these cases, whether Muslims have a right to purchase property and use it to build places of worship in this country.  I think they do. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies