Anyone notice how the press is lifting up Islam while smearing Christianity?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:01:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Anyone notice how the press is lifting up Islam while smearing Christianity?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Anyone notice how the press is lifting up Islam while smearing Christianity?  (Read 8853 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2011, 10:59:36 AM »

it's ironic how they're lifting up a religion that at its core, doesn't believe in religious freedom (which also means they don't believe in freedom of speech or freedom of the press).  guess it is a sign of how much they're offended by the New Testament.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 11:01:13 AM »

No.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 11:11:31 AM »

then you need to start paying attention, example:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/25/a-change-of-faith/?hpt=C1

The media (along with Obama), attempts to portray Muslims as thoughtful and knowledgeable, while portraying Christians of lacking thought and knowing nothing.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 11:16:21 AM »

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 11:30:35 AM »

Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 11:31:45 AM »

Especially if one considers Fox press.
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 11:41:20 AM »

I happen to agree.
The multicultural part of the far left seems to have more patience with Islam than they do Christianity.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 11:46:24 AM »

Look, you don’t choose such a straw-man of a story and post it as the top story on your web-site unless you’re slanted.  And even with the opposite slant of FoxNews, they’re a small voice when considering the media as a whole.  Basically, just on TV, there is ABC/NBC/CBS/MSNBC/CNN on one side and FoxNews on the other side.  Then you have all the print media, which is not only mostly liberal, it is also dominated by liberal papers like the Times and the Post.

So, pay attention.  Heck, even on this forum, you’ll see the same thing: Liberals embracing the thought of having Muslim neighbors over Christian neighbors.  And the liberals on this board attempt to smear and distort the Christian scriptures, while us Christians pretty much have kept their powder dry when it comes to mentioning verses from the Koran.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 12:04:02 PM »

I happen to agree.
The multicultural part of the far left seems to have more patience with Islam than they do Christianity.

That's, to a large extent, because the 'far left' tends to be a reaction against what they see as the (to a great extent nominally) dominant moral hegemony, which happens in this country to be Christianity. Any support that they have for Islam tends to come, at least at a visceral level, from the same reactionary source. Truthfully, Islam and Christianity aren't that different; if we were a predominantly Muslim country, I expect the social/cultural left would react in the same way against Islam in favor of Christianity.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 12:06:50 PM »

if we were a predominantly Muslim country, I expect the social/cultural left would react in the same way against Islam in favor of Christianity.

Not a chance. 

You had me til that point Wink
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 12:58:04 PM »

I happen to agree.

That's, to a large extent, because the 'far left' tends to be a reaction against what they see as the (to a great extent nominally) dominant moral hegemony, which happens in this country to be Christianity. Any support that they have for Islam tends to come, at least at a visceral level, from the same reactionary source. Truthfully, Islam and Christianity aren't that different; if we were a predominantly Muslim country, I expect the social/cultural left would react in the same way against Islam in favor of Christianity.

Really?  Even I am judicial to label any Christian a heretic that attempts to spread the Gospel by sword, whether it be a Catholic like a past Pope or a Protestant like John Calvin.  I don’t play favorites.

And the press isn’t simply fighting the majority of any given country, else it would report on the violence against Christians throughout the Muslim world.  Instead, we Christians  have to follow such news through other sources.

Even on this forum, liberals mock the meaning of the picture in my sig, not understanding that it is through fear of death at the hands of the mob that 100.0% of the people in that picture are praying.  Nothing wins the hearts of 100.0% of the people, that’s just not human nature.  And obviously 100.0% percent of those people don’t have pure hearts because of the reports of violence and rape done by members of that mob, so its not like Islam won 100.0% of those people over to peace.

It is Christianity that brought freedom of religion/speech/press to this country.  Jesus and the Apostles didn’t spread the Gospel by sword, but rather by word of mouth under the assumption of freedom of religion/speech/press and in spite of opposition to freedom of religion/speech/press.  The opposite is true of Islam’s Mohammad.  When Christians attempt to use the sword to win converts, Christians like me label that heresy.  But such heresy is accepted as the norm within Muslim societies.

So, basically, the left is embracing a Muslim movement that if successful, will bring literal death to the freedom of religion/speech/press.  Democracy (rule of the people) without the freedom of religion/speech/press is not freedom, therefore we need to understand that democracy and freedom are not necessary one and the same.

Do I like the dictators?  No, I believe they are mass murderers.  But don’t think that mob has freedom of religion/speech/press in mind, for they do not.  The Koran, point blank, has taught them they have to the right to kill non-Muslims.  This isn’t some old covenant Islamic law that I am attempting to hang on modern Muslims, rather that is what their current covenant teaches.  It would be like the New Testament teaching Christians had the right to kill those who disbelieved, instead of teaching to love their enemies.

But this is what the left is embracing in order to counter the message of Christianity, for somehow Christ bothers them more than Allah.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 01:19:18 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2011, 01:34:03 PM by phknrocket1k »

There is a clear-cut double standard.

Let it be known that if Muslims were not people-of-color but primarily White. That for the most part liberals would view them as inbred (literally speaking) cretins.

I'm not opposed to sticking up for Muslim people's civil liberties, but it shouldn't end up going to the point of mischaracterization.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 01:48:57 PM »

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 02:04:34 PM »

No, not really, but I can see how you might say that. I don't think that's what they are explicitly trying to do anyways.

Let me try to frame it in another context - Christianity is not news in America. The supermajority of the population is Christian, or at least claims to be, and for the most part they aren't doing anything strange. So, again, not news. On the other hand there are those who are indeed loony, and they get attention in the news because they do things that get people's attention. (like Jerry Falwell claiming that 9/11 was divine punishment for gay people, or the WBC protesting funerals, or a bunch of xenophobic types who happen to be Christians screaming at some legal Muslim citizens, etc)

On the other hand Islam does also get into the news. I imagine the uplifting thing is an attempt to be balanced and present another side of a group that is largely foreign, (and being foreign people do have some interest in it) as Islamic terrorism does also make the news. This may be further advanced by Islamic outreach groups that want to ensure their religion isn't seen in an entirely negative light proactively approaching the media. So, I would guess this phenomenon may be due to simple omission (because of understood cultural standards by the audience in regards to their own religion makes them not think to include it) and lack of such proactive outreach groups. (which again may be lacking because the cultural norm is understood and they may not feel the need to have such media outreach)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 02:15:47 PM »

No it seems like the media portrays the muslim negatively, though of course I don't have a problem with that.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 03:13:36 PM »

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 03:21:28 PM »

Mizaru, Kikazaru, Iwazaru, Shizaru, and …Badger?!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 03:22:20 PM »

Hello!
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 03:35:28 PM »

howdy, howdy, howdy
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 03:46:11 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 04:14:42 PM »

Multiculturalism is a total failure; it only makes the Oppressed the Oppressors, and recycles races into a cycle of wealth and poverty.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »

And the press isn’t simply fighting the majority of any given country, else it would report on the violence against Christians throughout the Muslim world.  Instead, we Christians  have to follow such news through other sources.

jmfcst, you're missing the point that was being raised.  The correct analogy to be raised if you wish to refute that point is not the coverage in this country of religious issues in other countries, but the coverage that is given religion in a predominantly Muslim country with freedom of the press and speech roughly equivalent to our own.  Problem is, save for perhaps Turkey or Indonesia, there isn't one, and even those would be very problematic comparisons.

At this point the hypothesis about what the 'far left' might do in a country with a different majority faith can't be adequately tested with respect to Islam.

However, I do think that treating Islam as a single monolithic religion as you seem to do is a mistake too many commentators make.  There are a diversity of traditions in Islam, some of which are more tolerant than others.  While there are places in the Islamic world where an Islamist revolution would be less troubling to me than in Egypt, there are also places where it would be more troubling.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 04:52:24 PM »

Multiculturalism is a total failure; it only makes the Oppressed the Oppressors, and recycles races into a cycle of wealth and poverty.

Your code words are confusing. 
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 04:57:48 PM »

ernest...my treatment of islam is based on what is stated n the koran
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 06:14:11 PM »

ernest...my treatment of islam is based on what is stated n the koran

If you think Muslims agree on how to interpret the Quran any better than Christians agree on how to interpret the Bible, you are sadly mistaken.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies