A 2008 Interactive Timeline - Gameplay Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:56:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  A 2008 Interactive Timeline - Gameplay Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: A 2008 Interactive Timeline - Gameplay Thread  (Read 11553 times)
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2011, 05:03:03 PM »

Dr. Paul appears on Cavuto

Cavuto: Dr. Paul, I know you responded to Keith Olbermann's harsh comments, but I'd like to ask you, will you be joining Governor Sanford in his boycott of MSNBC?

Paul: Oh, no. I thank the Governor for his gracious defense of me, it really is an honorable quality of his but I will not be boycotting MSNBC. I've offered to be on Mr. Olbermann's show, but I have yet to hear back from them.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2011, 05:12:46 PM »

Duncan Hunter makes a campaign visit in Iowa, a socially conservative caucus state where he hopes his more message, combining fiscal, social, and foreign policy conservatism with populism on the issue of trade can do well.
Hunter: It is time for the era of big government Conservatism to end! Over the past years, we have seen a ballooning of our deficit and a filure to put Conservatism into effect on domestic issues, despite having a Republican controlled Congress during the majority of Bush's Presidency! Meanwhile, Bush has done barely anything on social issues such as immigration and abortion! At the same time his policy of so-called "Free" trade certainly has made some people free. Specifically, large corporations are free to ship jobs overseas and keep more and more Americans unemployed. I believe that with a combination of truly fiscally conservative policies combined with withdrawing from these numerous free trade pacts can save our nation's economic structure. That is why I am declaring my candidacy for President of the United States!
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2011, 06:51:21 PM »

Short radio interview with Hillary Clinton airs on New Hampshire local radio

Interviewer: Why should Granite State voters vote for you over your primary rivals and fellow Senators?
Clinton: New Hampshire has been one of the states least supportive of the administration's stance in Iraq, which Senator Lieberman has been a forceful proponent of. I've promised to come in to the White House and totally clean up the mess in Iraq as a top priority. We need smoother operations, clarity about our goals there, and timely in our withdrawal.
Interviewer: Do you plan to sign any legislation that would increase taxes?
Clinton: I can't see myself supporting any tax increases but I think that some of the Bush tax cuts can be allowed to expire quietly, so that the levels of taxation can be returned to the levels they were at in the 1990s and we can prosper as we did under my husband Bill's term. Other candidates would be much more likely to want to increase taxes, I'd first focus on making some spending cuts and consolidations.
Interviewer: What will your three top priorities be if elected?
Clinton: I'd first fix the mess in Iraq, and then I'd dedicate myself to making sure that families are able to afford quality health care and that no child is left behind when it comes to prevention and treatment. I think we can also make our publicly provided school foods healthier for children.
Interviewer: Thanks for coming on.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2011, 04:08:44 PM »

Mark Sanford attends a rally in Lousiana

"Citizens, look at our country. The government is bigger then ever. Americans lose there homes by the day. Meanwhile Dodd is getting his sweetheart deals! President Bush feels his mandate to govern can be expanded, but its quite clear the people dont want so. America needs a Conservative President, and Dodd and Bush are quite the same".
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2011, 04:56:02 PM »

Ron Paul appears on Rachel Maddow's show.

Maddow: So, would you say your little fiasco with Keith Olbermann is over yet?
Paul: Well, he hasn't apologized so obviously he's gonna stick by those comments. No, I don't think there was ever a feud, he misunderstood my statement, it happens. I'd prefer to just move on.
Maddow: Alright, so a recent article in the Baltimore Sun proposed that in a situation that you are elected president that you'd have our budget balanced with a surplus by late 2011, is this realistic?
Paul: Anything's realistic, I think with the right people in Congress and with bi-partisanship, we could do anything.
Maddow: How do you respond to pundits claiming that President Bush has done so poor a job as President that the country cannot trust another Republican?
Paul: I think the country can absolutely trust another Republican, it just has to be the right Republican. I think I or Governor Sanford would make great candidates because we both have libertarian aspects to us and I know that appeals to Independent voters.
Maddow: Let's say you just won the GOP Nomination and you had to pick your Vice Presidential nominee right now, who would it be?
Paul: I've been asked this question a lot. I think right now, I would probably consider Minnesota Senator Norm Coleman and Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels to be on that list.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »

Interview with Greta Van Sustren on Fox.

Van Susteren-Hello Governor, how are you?

Sanford-Doing fine, looking good in the polls. Thanks for having me, Greta.

Van Susteren-Do you think you can win Iowa?

Sanford-Of course, thats our goal!

Van Susteren-What about New Hampshire?

Sanford-Possibly, its a very Libertarian state, but also, very socially moderate. And in my homestate...

Van Susteren-(interupting)-I think we know how South Carolina is going to turn out (laughing)

Sanford-Yes, I agree. Im proud to have governed the good people there for six years.

Van Susteren-Any thought to running mates?

Sanford-Its to early. I like Congressman Paul, I also look to people like Mitch Daniels, Governor Romney, Senator Murkowski and Rick Perry.

Van Susteren-Thank you Governor, and good luck.

Sanford-Thank you Greta.

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2011, 07:34:28 PM »

August 18, 2007

A Busy Week in Iowa
Senator Dodd returned to Iowa with a vigor.  Monday was spent in Des Moines.  Tuesday, Dodd held a series of three town halls in Adel, Boone, and Fort Dodge.  Wednesday, Dodd held another town hall, this one in Webster City, after which he proceeded to Waterloo for the Iowa Federation of Labor AFL-CIO Convention and then rounded out the day with an appearance in Tama.  On Thursday, Dodd appeared briefly in Marshalltown and then moved on to Des Moines for a speech on education policy.  Yesterday, Dodd appeared in Newton, Muscatine, and Eldridge.  Today, he visited Clinton and Cedar Rapids. 

Tomorrow, Dodd will shake hands with voters in Urbandale, Indianola, and Des Moines.  Then on Monday, he will participate in "Fire House chat" with STAR PAC on foreign policy.  The meeting is being held in Des Moines at the Old Firehouse #4.

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2011, 10:04:27 AM »

New Hampshire Primary Polling

This morning, PPP released a poll from the state of New Hampshire, both Republican and Democrat.

Republicans (New Hampshire)Sad
George W. Bush: 32%
Ron Paul: 15%
Donald Trump: 14%
Mark Sanford: 7%
Duncan Hunter: 3%

Democrats (New Hampshire)Sad
Hillary Clinton: 34%
Chris Dodd: 22%
Joseph Lieberman: 11%
Mike Gravel: 1%

Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2011, 12:06:08 PM »

Ron Paul makes a speech in Concord, NH

"We did great in a recent polling but there's still ground to make up! Let's go out there and show them that liberty is too popular to be defeated! God Bless you all!"
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2011, 07:41:31 PM »

August 25, 2007

It's the Economy, Stupid
Senator Dodd's return to New Hampshire was heralded by a favorable spike in polling.  Hillary Clinton's solid lead has slipped as more and more voters in the Granite state met the candidates and found they preferred Dodd.  The Connecticut senator tested this support on Thursday when he delivered a speech on a topic no candidate so far had broached.

Monday, Dodd met with Federal Reserve Board Chairman Ben Bernanke and Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson in Washington D.C to discuss recent fluctuations in the market, as a part of Dodd's duties as a senator.  Dodd came away with a conviction that America's recent economic prosperity was built on shaky foundations and that if certain changes did not happen soon, it could all come crashing down.

In Burlington, Dodd railed against the deregulation of certain sectors of the financial system, calling for the repeal of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and the stiffening of the net capital rule.  These critical misteps by past administrations had allowed a "shadow banking system" to gain considerable power, placing the entire US economy at risk. 
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2011, 08:42:45 PM »

Breaking News:

Williams: Good Afternoon, we have just received word that Donald Trump will be dropping out of the race, and will be endorsing Mark Sanford for the nomination. Here now is Mr. Trump.

Trump: Good Afternoon, after many days of thinking and reflection I have decided to drop out of the race and endorse Governor Sanford. I just realized that this is not for me and wanted to spend more time with my family.

I endorsed Governor Sanford because he is the most experienced outsider in this race and I believe he will bring change to Washington. I will support him in any way I can, and I am sure he will be happy to have me. Thank you all.

Williams: That was Donald trump announcing the end of his candidacy and his support of Governor Sanford. Stay tuned to NBC News later on tonight for more information. This Is Brian Williams, see you all later.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2011, 11:10:18 AM »

Ron Paul arrives in South Carolina...

"I'm sorry to hear that Mr. Trump is dropping out of the race, but this just makes for an even better competition. I'd like to congratulate Governor Sanford on the endorsement and I look forward to running this race til it's over. God bless."
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2011, 12:01:48 PM »

After Donald Trump's exit and endorsement of Mark Sanford, the gap continues to close between the South Carolina Governor and the President.

Republican Primary (National)Sad
George W. Bush: 42%
Mark Sanford: 21%
Ron Paul: 11%
Duncan Hunter: 3%

Chris Dodd continues to be making up significant ground against Hillary Clinton, trailing by 18 points now nationally. Will Clinton's built-in advantage in many states voting later save her nomination? Polls currently suggest Dodd having a serious shot at sweeping the leadoff states of Iowa and New Hampshire, which under normal circumstances would guarantee someone the nomination.

Democratic Primary (National)Sad
Hillary Clinton: 42%
Chris Dodd: 24%
Joseph Lieberman: 11%
Mike Gravel: 2%
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »

At a event in California

"I graciously accept Mr. Trumps endorsement, and look forward to working with him".
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2011, 03:34:49 PM »

August 30, 2007
Firefighters for Dodd
Yesterday the International Association of Fire Fighters endorsed Chris Dodd for President.  Senator Dodd has a long history of supporting labor issues.  As the days go by, it is looking more and more like organized labor is solidifying behind Dodd's campaign.

To celebrate their endorsement, firestations in Iowa City, Des Moines, and Council bluffs will be hosting rallies for Dodd at which the Connecticut senator will speak.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2011, 05:57:59 PM »

September 2, 2007
Dodd stops in Nevada
Yesterday, Chris Dodd appeared at rallies in Las Vegas in Reno.  These rallies were part of his endorsement by the IFF on Wednesday; all were held at local firestations.

September 3, 2007
Labor Day in New Hampshire
Senator Dodd kicked off the festivities with a speech in Manchester at the Saint George Greek Orthodox Church where the AFL-CIO Labor Day breakfast was held.  Dodd arrived in Milford at noon, just in time to take part in the annual Milford Labor Day Parade.  The day was ended at the Amherst Country Club where the Connecticut senator enjoyed some excellent barbecue with local democrats.

September 5, 2007
Dodd is back in Iowa
Dodd made his inauspicious return to the Hawkeye state Tuesday, attending a meeting in Waterloo and a fundraiser in Manchester.

Dodd has always loved a good barbecue.  In addition to today's, he attended cookouts in Somersworth and New London.  While chewing on a tender pork rib, Chris joked "Elect me if you want to see the White House return to the good ol' days of Bar-bee-que!"
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2011, 06:13:50 PM »

Governor Sanford attends a Labor Day picnic in Michigan. After giving a brief speech, he sat down for a large barbecue, and shakes multiple hands.

Later, he attends a rally in Iowa

"Lets take our party back!"
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2011, 06:22:03 PM »

Hunter announces "Western Tour"
In response to recent failing poll numbers, Congressman Duncan Hunter of California has announced a "Western Tour" for his newly formed Presidential campaign. This will include states such as Wyoming, Nevada, and Iowa-the three earliest Western primaries on the schedule. Hunter reportedly hopes his more Populist-Conservative message can break through there. Rumors are circulating he's hoping to gain momentum off of Wyoming and possibly Nevada. However, the rumors are as of now un-confirmed.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »

September 12, 2007
Dodd Slams the Surge
On the sixth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, Chris Dodd made a point to disparage the recent US Surge strategy in Iraq.  During a testimony of General David Petraeus, Dodd said "In the eight months since President Bush’s announced the surge, we have spent tens of billions of dollars, over 700 American service men and women have sacrificed their lives, and nearly 4,400 have been wounded—all to provide breathing space for the Iraqi Government to engage in political reconciliation. And what has the Iraqi Government done with this breathing space?"  He raises a good point.  As thing stand, Iraq does not look like it is doing any better with more US troops in its borders.  Maybe now is the time for strategic withdrawal.

September 14, 2007
Dodd to raise $4 million
Chris Dodd's campaign released a statement asking their supporters to help meet their quarterly goal of $4 million.  Fundraising as been the achilles heel of the Dodd campaign.  Hillary Clinton, the leader of the polls up until now, has had millions of dollars at her disposal per quarter.  Dodd has closed the gap with tireless campaigning at a personal level but in the modern age, one televised ad is worth more than afternoons meeting the voters.  With the recent endorsement of fellow Connecticut senator Joe Lieberman, Dodd hopes to close the gap this quarter. 

In two weeks, major fundraising events will be held in Connecticut, just a few days before the quarter closes.  If you want to donate to Dodd's campaign, just go to his website and click "Donate Now."
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2011, 05:55:29 AM »

Ron Paul makes a speech in Lake Jackson, Texas

"Friends, it is time for me to realize that I have such a miniscule shot at the winning the Republican Party's nomination, so I will be dropping out of the race and endorsing South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford."
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies