A 2008 Interactive Timeline - Gameplay Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:48:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  A 2008 Interactive Timeline - Gameplay Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A 2008 Interactive Timeline - Gameplay Thread  (Read 11630 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« on: March 27, 2011, 05:50:59 PM »

Hillary Clinton holds a rally in Des Moines, Iowa with support of her husband, Bill. The campaign kick-off is met with applause and enthusiasm by a crowd of Iowans disappointed by the economic stagnation and bureaucratic incompetence of recent years under current President George W. Bush.

For what has now amounted to seven long, grueling years, working Americans have had to deal with this administration's failures and sheer ineptness. Why has President Bush allowed our standard of living to decrease? Why are business leaving and taking their jobs with them and why aren't they being replaced? Why do the Republicans feel it is alright to cut taxes for the super wealthy and want to take away the benefits promised to us by privatizing Social Security, a hall mark of America's tradition of helping those in need? I've heard these questions and others over and over from ordinary Americans, people like you & I- people who believe America can be great once again.

This country is on a track, the wrong track- one that may lead us off the edge of a cliff. It is not too late to change direction. We need a leader with the experience to do what is right for America, not for corporate cronies. Through my work in the US Senate I have demonstrated a willingness to listen to all viewpoints and cooperate with others to find the best solutions to our dire problems. Our President, unfortunately, has been unwilling to acknowledge that his War on Terror is being mismanaged. Our President has been unwilling to acknowledge that his administration completely and unacceptably bungled the Hurricane Katrina situation. Our President has turned his back on hard-working Americans and catered to the super rich. The Republicans have had their turn and they have let us down. I am the Democrat in this race who can significantly contrast with President Bush's administration and have the resume to back it up. Moderation vs. Extremism. Hope vs. Fear. Reason vs. Dogma. This is what we are up against. No longer can we be Democrat vs. Republican. Times are far too critical. This is a time to stand united behind the principles that define us as a people. Together, we can build a better and brighter future for generations to come. To do this, i need your support in the race for the Democratic nomination. Together, we can make a difference.

Hillary Clinton lets Bill speak, to tremendous applause.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 06:37:07 PM »

Hillary Clinton gets interviewed by Bill O'Reilly, who claimed it would be one of his toughest interviews yet.

O'Reilly: Lots of people are talking about your push for health care reform that failed in Bill's first term. How do you respond to the criticism toward your approach?

Clinton: Well, I would first acknowledge that some mistakes that were made back then would not be made now. Actually, I'm glad you asked this question because my sharpest contrast with President Bush is my ability to learn from past mistakes and take that, that experience and just use it to its full potential. People get so caught up in their rigid ideological positions that they forget that you can't be right 100% of the time, and I certainly don't want a President who thinks that. My approach would be to really look at what's on the table and to make an informed decision based off the facts and evidence available to me. Imagine if we had done that before going in to Iraq! In the Senate, I've learned a lot about the workings of that chamber that I didn't realize as First Lady. There are some Republicans I would love to get input from. I know we have a lot of strong and passionate Democrats, too. The partisanship of President Bush's administration may just be it's biggest and most tragic flaw.

O'Reilly: Wow, I'm surprised with your clarity!

Clinton: I'm surprised you didn't interrupt me!

O'Reilly: Right. You mention Iraq, but didn't you yourself vote to send troops into Iraq to help find weapons of mass destruction and stop Saddam Hussein?

Clinton: This administration misled the Senate, misled the United Nations, and misled the American people with respect to Iraq. At the time, we were only given part of the information the Bush administration had and were under tough pressure. It was presented to us as an imminent threat, we had to act. If this administration were more transparent, we would not have lost so many American lives in Iraq, we would not have spent so much money and we would be better off because of it. Transparency is key to any Clinton administration.

O'Reilly: It's like four years ago! Similar to how John Kerry was against it before he was for it, but he was really for it before he was against it?

Clinton: No, it's nothing like that. My position has been clear and consistent from day one. It is the Bush administration that has failed to present a true position when they misled the American people into Iraq, someone who promised to be a uniter and not a divider. When Bill was President, we didn't not have the sort of problems we do now. This is a direct result of failed Bush administration policies that I can and will reverse. We can only continue down this dark path for so long before running out of light.

O'Reilly: I don't think the light will be going anywhere anytime soon. Thanks for coming on.

Clinton: Thank you.

O'Reilly: You know, she doesn't sound as bad when you put her up next to these far-left candidates like Chris Dodd, or the extremist Republicans like Duncan Hunter or Ron Paul. But do we really need a second Clinton right after a second Bush? I think Americans will want to ask themselves whether or not President Bush deserves re-election on his own merits.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 06:42:32 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2011, 06:47:01 AM by Napoleon »

Hillary Clinton visits a small Iowa town and talks with locals

You know, we've never had a woman's perspective in the White House and we've had eight years of Republican perspective. I think it's time to get this country back on the right track. Even Mark Sanford has acknowledged that failed Republican policies are taking us back to the Great Depression. If I am elected I will bring progressive reform that benefits hard-working Americans and their families- the backbone of our society. No more handouts to corporate fatcats or Wall Street magic tricks. We can bring America back to prosperity, but not if we elect another term of Republican mismanagement!

Hillary is asked why Democrats should choose her over her primary rivals

Well, I understand the needs of the Hawkeye State better than any of my rivals, some who may have gotten lost here on their way to the Buckeye State. I've worked in business. I've been in the White House while Bill was there making tough decisions. I've been on the ground, talked with our troops, met with world leaders. I've always been an advocate for Iowa's great agriculture industry and as President my policies would promote job growth that would benefit the economy not only in Iowa but across the nation.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 10:21:22 AM »

Hillary Clinton hits the Iowa campaign trail, again with husband Bill, stumping in Cedar Rapids

My friends, we endured twelve long years of Reaganomics and right-wing policies under Reagan and Bush until Bill came along and brought us back to economic prosperity with one of the longest economic booms in decades. We've gone through another near eight disastrous years under the current administration. I hate to say it, but if John Kerry couldn't do it in 2004, why would his candidate Chris Dodd be any different now? Dodd and Bush- two candidates too close for comfort. We don't need greedy bankers having any more influence than they already do with President Bush. I will fight for you. I will win this election for the Democratic Party, and I will work across party lines to get things done. My record speaks for itself.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 06:51:21 PM »

Short radio interview with Hillary Clinton airs on New Hampshire local radio

Interviewer: Why should Granite State voters vote for you over your primary rivals and fellow Senators?
Clinton: New Hampshire has been one of the states least supportive of the administration's stance in Iraq, which Senator Lieberman has been a forceful proponent of. I've promised to come in to the White House and totally clean up the mess in Iraq as a top priority. We need smoother operations, clarity about our goals there, and timely in our withdrawal.
Interviewer: Do you plan to sign any legislation that would increase taxes?
Clinton: I can't see myself supporting any tax increases but I think that some of the Bush tax cuts can be allowed to expire quietly, so that the levels of taxation can be returned to the levels they were at in the 1990s and we can prosper as we did under my husband Bill's term. Other candidates would be much more likely to want to increase taxes, I'd first focus on making some spending cuts and consolidations.
Interviewer: What will your three top priorities be if elected?
Clinton: I'd first fix the mess in Iraq, and then I'd dedicate myself to making sure that families are able to afford quality health care and that no child is left behind when it comes to prevention and treatment. I think we can also make our publicly provided school foods healthier for children.
Interviewer: Thanks for coming on.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies