If NASA finds out ...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:55:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  If NASA finds out ...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If NASA finds out ...  (Read 1497 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 01, 2011, 09:23:06 AM »

that the Earth will be hit by a 50km big asteroid in 2 weeks, what would you do in these 2 weeks ?

I'd probably live on like before, but that would probably not be possible because everyone else would go nuts ... Tongue
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 09:46:49 AM »

Probably sulk for a week, then just keep going as usual. Then, last day on Earth? Killing spree.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 11:54:37 AM »

Probably sulk for a week, then just keep going as usual. Then, last day on Earth? Killing spree.

It still won't help you get women.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 12:11:31 PM »

I was thinking about how you said they'd go nuts, and that made me think about how folks would tell their employers to get bent and do all sorts of crazy stuff and then they'd feel like douchebags if the doomsday event didn't transpire, and that made me think of an April Fool's joke played by the Quahog News anchor who said that a black hole would swallow the Solar system in 24 hours.  As the final moment is approaching, they're all huddled on the living room sofa and, all of the sudden, Peter reveals his secret dislike of being around his children.  But then, just at the last second, the newscaster lets them in on his little April Fools' joke.  The world's not going to end.  oops.  Peter is left looking like a heel.  Of course he manages to buy his family's respect back. 

yeah, I wonder how many Peter Griffins are out there. 
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 12:21:17 PM »

One is enough!
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 01:07:26 PM »

Visit Barbour County, Alabama.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 01:22:38 PM »

Make every effort to survive it.  That is my nature.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 01:35:36 PM »

If NASA found out there was a massive asteroid about to hit earth, I think they'd try their damndest not to breath a word of it.

Of course rumors would get out... ultimately leading to an announcement... but it certainly wouldn't be soon after they found out.

Besides, with our very limited observance of space, it is likely 2 weeks would be a very generous window.  It might actually only be a few days... or even less for a smaller object that could still cause planetary devastation.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 01:39:11 PM »

that the Earth will be hit by a 50km big asteroid in 2 weeks, what would you do in these 2 weeks ?

I'd probably live on like before, but that would probably not be possible because everyone else would go nuts ... Tongue

Are you trying to suggest something? Shocked Wink
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 01:45:13 PM »

Pray.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 02:10:12 PM »

Make every effort to survive it.  That is my nature.

Me too.  an asteroid can't kill EVERYONE. Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 03:18:55 PM »

Get some first, maybe (though most likely impossible), then pray (ask for forgiveness of sins, and everything else expected before near imminent death). Hypocritical, I know.

Anyway, after that, I might try to survive it, but I don't think I'm the most...resourceful of people, so that might not be successful. I'd probably dig a hole in my backyard with my brother and try to hide out in that. Stupid idea.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 04:26:37 PM »

Head for the tropics, I suppose.  After you get some and then go to confession of course.  I'd think the dust thrown up would create an albedo effect, so you'd better off at small latitudes.  Bring some canned goods and that stuff that purifies the water and makes your Raman noodles blue.  Maybe a handgun.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 05:03:35 PM »

Assume, "Meh, it's NASA, they probably got Imperial and Metric mixed up again" and go about my life.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 05:24:57 PM »

Jamespol: Attention Dave. Texaslefty said you don't need to delete her account anymore.

Libertas: Um, this is fake by Obama to fool the people. Um, you hate freedom Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 08:10:16 PM »

Head for the tropics, I suppose.  After you get some and then go to confession of course.  I'd think the dust thrown up would create an albedo effect, so you'd better off at small latitudes.  Bring some canned goods and that stuff that purifies the water and makes your Raman noodles blue.  Maybe a handgun.

You'd definitely want to head well away from any coastline if you intend to attempt survival.  More than likely any and all coastlines would be well and truly f-ed if there is a water impact.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 08:46:42 AM »

I initially thought this thread title was  "If NASO find out...."  Smiley
t_host1

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 11:13:19 PM »

NASA - they'd be doing a little pre-flight, fueling up,
ME - I'd be hang'n out try'n to hitch a ride.

your premise,
 - I think its in 2 years, maybe less, we, as in earth, are going to experience our closes encounter ever, since humans anyway, with an asteroid. The Asian science guy on FOX theory is that; the drag on the asteroid as it goes by/through our atmosphere/earth, will be enough to draw in, alter it's orbit, so that, on its next orbit... well, he has %'s, the closer the pass being a better chance of missing on the other side of earth vs. a lighter drag increases the chances of a direct hit. the next orbit I think he said 60yrs , maybe it was 160 or something like that.

His point is that, he and others will be able to tell, with this first pass, what the next orbit will be. He's currently in the 50/50 that we humans will have to do something about it.

So, SAVE OUR SPACESHIPS!! MR. President.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 12:08:13 AM »

You'd definitely want to head well away from any coastline if you intend to attempt survival.  More than likely any and all coastlines would be well and truly f-ed if there is a water impact.

Also keep in mind that while the tropics might not freeze like much of the mid-latitudes and northward.... there would be sudden and catastrophic drying that would probably do a lot of the rainforests in.. with only remnants remaining in mountainous areas where rainfall would still be sufficient.

Otherwise once the waves settled... being on the west coast of a continent would be your best bet.  The ocean would moderate temperatures and you'd have the bounty of the seas to feed upon since most marine life can adapt to sudden climate changes (better than land plants and animals).
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 06:52:06 PM »

One of my math professors in the 1970's told about fall term 1962. That was the time of the Cuban missile crisis, and as close to nuclear war as we ever were. Students were so sure that life would be over when the story broke in mid-October, that homework and exams were completely neglected. Morose parties were the order of the day, since all presumed that those duck and cover drills wouldn't be enough to insure life by finals week.

However, two weeks after the crisis started it was averted. Students were scrambling to figure out how they could catch up. Most did, but there were more than the usual share who found the semester grades a depressing reminder of an overreaction to impending doom.

I suspect a prediction of an imminent collision from multiple reputable sources in today's media market would generate the same scenes as in 1962.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 06:59:45 PM »

It still won't help you get women.

Worked for Bundy!
The Lord Marbury
EvilSpaceAlien
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -5.91

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 07:04:08 PM »

I would go crazy. Crazy as in insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal... WACKO!
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2011, 07:04:53 PM »

F***king PARTY.

And then denounce God.

and then pray.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 09:43:17 AM »

there would be sudden and catastrophic drying that would probably do a lot of the rainforests in.

Hence the suggestion to bring lots of canned goods.  (The handgun was to make sure they remain in your possession.)  And what little water remains would be filthy.  That's what the tablets are for.

I agree that you'd want to be near the sea, since those canned goods won't last forever.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 11:27:55 AM »

Oh I think a huge percentage of people find being around their family horribly tiresome.

I would get a huge kick out of the asteroid coming.  Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies