Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 26, 2014, 10:14:08 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  U.S. Presidential Election Results
| | |-+  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | | |-+  Why AR, WV, TN, etc. swung Republican
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Why AR, WV, TN, etc. swung Republican  (Read 5137 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2011, 04:49:27 pm »
Ignore

Keep in mind in Oklahoma, their GDP grew at 4.4% in 2008... so.

NHI
YaBB God

P
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2011, 06:28:04 pm »
Ignore

I see WV, TN, AR swinging back to the Democrats down the road.

‎"Our president thinks this country's in decline. It is if he's president. It's not if I'm president." -- Mitt Romney

Badger
badger
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 04:25:42 pm »
Ignore

I imagine McCain was more appealing than Bush to the Scotch-Irish populist vote.

Then why were so many of these Scotch-Irish populists still willing to vote for John Forbes Kerry in 04, but not willing to vote for Obama even while the rest of the country moved several points Democratic?

purple hearts > blue blood.

If you recall from the 04 campaign, many conservative voters--even registered Democrats--considered Forbes a rich playboy and doubted his claims of military heroism.

How does Obama come across as a "blue blood"? Huh I understand the "eastern liberal elite" argument, but that was every bit as applicable (and applied by Republicans) to Kerry.

Your self-serving slacktivism is propelling America to new heights.
Lettuce Gay Bacon and Tomato
The Obamanation
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 05:40:09 pm »
Ignore

Because Obama is black.

/thread.

Convincing BRTD to drop the Sneakers O'Toole BS is like convincing Sneakers O'Toole to take his sneakers off.

(I realize I'm probably just further encouraging him by saying that, and for this I apologize.)
phk
phknrocket1k
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 05:58:51 pm »
Ignore

Because Obama is black.

/thread.

Culture too.

If he had a more "American" sounding name, I'm sure that's worth more votes.

--
Kalwejt
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 06:08:08 pm »
Ignore

West Virginia remains mostly Democratic, except of presidential elections. Perhaps a Democratic candidate with some appeal to Appalachia would carry it easily.
phk
phknrocket1k
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2011, 06:21:11 pm »
Ignore

West Virginia remains mostly Democratic, except of presidential elections. Perhaps a Democratic candidate with some appeal to Appalachia would carry it easily.

Well the ultimate test would be an election featuring Harold Ford.

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 06:22:32 pm »
Ignore

I imagine McCain was more appealing than Bush to the Scotch-Irish populist vote.

Then why were so many of these Scotch-Irish populists still willing to vote for John Forbes Kerry in 04, but not willing to vote for Obama even while the rest of the country moved several points Democratic?

purple hearts > blue blood.

If you recall from the 04 campaign, many conservative voters--even registered Democrats--considered Forbes a rich playboy and doubted his claims of military heroism.

How does Obama come across as a "blue blood"? Huh I understand the "eastern liberal elite" argument, but that was every bit as applicable (and applied by Republicans) to Kerry.

'blue blood' was really meant for Bush. there was a cultural distaste for Kerry's 'eastern liberal elite' too but it was in part mitigated by his military service for many traditionally Democrat voters. really though I'm making more of a distinction between McCain and Bush for people who had been voting Democratic for a long time but admired McCain's military service and saw his style as Jacksonian / conservative Democrat.  I don't know that it was a huge factor, but I think there's something to it.
It's interesting to note that on a statewide level, of those states with a Republican swing, only AR had a larger swing in 2008 then in 2004.

Carlos Danger
wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2011, 06:25:22 pm »
Ignore

If Harold Ford does any more carpetbagging a certain rug shop I know won't be forced to go out of business every two months.

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2011, 03:02:41 pm »
Ignore

The ultimate test would be an election featuring a man with a strange muslim-sounding name and tmth's face.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout