AIDS & Abortion: 2M deaths yearly
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:55:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  AIDS & Abortion: 2M deaths yearly
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: AIDS & Abortion: 2M deaths yearly  (Read 9429 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2004, 02:15:15 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's fine- I'm just making sure you understand that schizophrenia is mainly caused by psychological trauma, not brain trauma. Though some studies suggest the possibility of genetic vulnerabilities, enviromental issues still play a major role. What would be correct in asserting is that among the cognitive disorders, schizophrenia is one with one of the most genetic influences. I think I saw a study somewhere that said identicle twins have a 40% chance of getting schizophrenia if their sibling has it. Although this is a high number, enviroment obviously plays a huge role of influence.

Yes- I saw that sixth section. Again, it was purely statistical and lacks physical evidence.

Well, I still disagree with you about 'mainly' on cognitive causes for schizophrenia. I believe it is mainly a phsyical ailment, just one that develops over a longer period of time. Stressors may serve as triggers, as I said, but those same stressors likely wouldn't cause schizophrenia in 99% of the population - basically the stressor would trigger the dormant physical condition. I think this article explains it pretty well, under the section labeled The "Two-hit" Theory of the Origin of Schizophrenia. The biological problems always exist, so the disease is dormant and may never show itself, but a cognitive problem brings it to the surface. Of course, it's diverse, so the causes could be majority biological in some and majority cognitive in others. I just tend to think it is more often biological in the case of this disease.

On homosexuality, we're just going to have to disagree on the whole 'healthy'/'disorder' thing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies