Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2014, 03:10:04 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  International Elections (Moderator: PASOK Leader Hashemite)
| | |-+  Devolved Leadership Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Devolved Leadership Elections  (Read 2943 times)
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2011, 09:38:56 pm »
Ignore

Lamont is pretty firmly associated with the Left, even if she isn't popular in all sections of it. Have a look at the stuff on nominations (and the link as well) posted by Andrea earlier; the patterns are pretty telling.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2012, 01:33:53 pm »
Ignore

Voting has started in the Plaid leadership election - result in the middle of March. There are three candidates, and here are three brief and extremely biased profiles:

Lord Elis-Thomas (aka Dafydd Elis Thomas, aka Dafydd El) - AM for Dwyfor Meirionnydd. Dafydd-El has been around for ever and a day; he was the MP for Meirionnydd from 1974 until 1992, led Plaid from 1984 until 1991, has been an AM since 1999, a member of the House of Lords since 1992, was the Assembly's Presiding Officer from 1999 until 2011. A fully-paid up member of what passes for the Welsh Establishment (he is the President - that is Chancellor - of Bangor University and is on the Governing Body of the Church in Wales and served on more quangos than probably even he can remember), Dafydd El used to call himself a Marxist and led the left faction of Plaid in the party's semi-civil war in the 1980s. He is also 66. He hasn't attracted much institutional support, but is the only candidate with serious name recognition.

Elin Jones - AM for Ceredigion. The choice of (most of) the party establishment and backed by a majority of Plaid AMs. She was the Rural Affairs minister in the Labour/Plaid coalition and does not like badgers much. Has had a couple of party posts in the past. Pretty dull.

Leanne Wood - AM for the South Wales Central list since 2003. The candidate of the left of the party, but has attracted a surprising amount of establishment support along the way (including Dafydd Iwan). Loves to be seen as a radical and occasionally goes in for publicity stunts to prove this (much like Dafydd El a few decades back). Quite how she manages to square this with the campaign that she ran against Chris Bryant in 2001 (which some people consider to have been both homophobic and xenophobic) is uncertain, but I'm sure some excuses can be found if the issue (which has been politely forgotten by most) is raised.

Simon Thomas, who was the MP for Ceredigion until he lost his seat in 2005, was also a candidate. But he sent everyone to sleep and so pulled out endorsed Jones.

At a guess the election is wide open. Wood has had most of the positive buzz, but has some serious structural disadvantages (Plaid membership being concentrated in North and West Wales). Jones has the lions share of institutional and establishment support, but she's dull. Dafydd El isn't just yesterdays man, he's last week's man, but is very well known (and very well liked) amongst ordinary Plaid members.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Acting like I'm Morrissey w/o the wit
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2012, 04:43:39 pm »
Ignore

Yeah, I can't say I remember Bryant-Wood 2001 campaign. Should easily be Wood.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2012, 11:04:52 am »
Ignore

BBC reports that Wood has won.

freefair
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2012, 12:40:45 pm »
Ignore

Leanne Wood wins. Oh me oh my
Not sure how this will work out. Will it split the left vote (especially is the non-Welsh speaking majority of Wales) and let the Tories in marginals?
Or will it push the moderates in Plaid to LibDems and Labour and hurt the party in its heartlands.
Or could it do both?

If you're centrist to right wing do follow this link and participate in this timelime poll!!
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=186153.0
PM- Ecn +4.95 Soc -4.95
Pragmatically libertarian. Centrist by US standards, Tory in UK.
Andrea
Italy
View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2012, 12:42:54 pm »
Ignore

Leanne Wood 2879 votes
Elin Jones 1884
Lord Elis-Thomas 1278

2 round

Wood 3326
Jones 2494

Quite how she manages to square this with the campaign that she ran against Chris Bryant in 2001 (which some people consider to have been both homophobic and xenophobic)

I recall the animosity of that campaign (Plaid just won the Rhondda in the Assembly election, Bryant was a new candidate, I remamber someone branding him as "the exotic candidate" in the media) but could you refresh us on which were the main allegations flying around? If it doesn't lead you in defamation risk territory
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 12:50:33 pm by Andrea »Logged
You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2012, 12:52:43 pm »
Ignore

This certainly doesn't look good for them considering the proposed boundaries for 2015.

Although:
In December 2004 she was the first assembly member to be ordered out of the chamber for referring to the Queen as "Mrs Windsor" during a debate. Lord Elis-Thomas asked Wood to withdraw the remark on the grounds of discourtesy. When she refused, she was ordered to leave. She later said: "I don't think I was treated fairly, I don't think it was necessary.", "I don't recognise the Queen, I called her that because that's her name."
I feel as though i'd do something like this...

YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2012, 03:03:05 pm »
Ignore

There doesn't seem to have been any mention yet of the forthcoming Ulster Unionist leadership election.  Perhaps this is a sign of how far the UUP have fallen with their 2005 disaster and the 2010 UCUNF farce.

Anyway, Tom Elliott resigned last week, and there are three candidates so far: Danny Kennedy (Newry & Armagh), John McAllister (South Down) and Mike Nesbitt (Strangford).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_Unionist_Party_leadership_election,_2012

Not a fan of UKIP, to put it mildly
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2012, 03:15:13 pm »
Ignore

This certainly doesn't look good for them considering the proposed boundaries for 2015.

Although:
In December 2004 she was the first assembly member to be ordered out of the chamber for referring to the Queen as "Mrs Windsor" during a debate. Lord Elis-Thomas asked Wood to withdraw the remark on the grounds of discourtesy. When she refused, she was ordered to leave. She later said: "I don't think I was treated fairly, I don't think it was necessary.", "I don't recognise the Queen, I called her that because that's her name."
I feel as though i'd do something like this...
That's just what she likes to call herself, her name is von Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout