SENATE BILL: Reduction of Registration Requirements Amendment (Pass to Regions)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:27:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Reduction of Registration Requirements Amendment (Pass to Regions)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Reduction of Registration Requirements Amendment (Pass to Regions)  (Read 14768 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2011, 12:09:30 AM »

Nay

My fellow colleagues supporting more stringent registration requirements would turn this place into a club of a few select people that have satisfied the insane requirements in order to play the game.  Atlasia should be available to any and all who are interested without undue barriers.

If you were really that put off by people like Hamilton, get over it!  You act as if you lost sleep over it, when in fact it probably only increased legitimate interest in the game.  I know I joined because I wanted to get in on the action.  I can't imagine wanting to join now if I were still uninvolved.

Damn, next you'll be saying Hamilton helped revive the NE in late 2009. Antonio is going to be mad when he sees this. Tongue

As too your first paragraph, it should be noted that there must be something great about Minnesota when both you and Fritz get it on this "exclusivity push".
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2011, 05:11:05 PM »

Take 1: Session Time Out (See Atlas board for explanation Tongue)

Take 2:

I love it when six people have gone one way or the other. It's such a timesaver. Tongue

Final vote on Amendment #24 by Antonio to the Reduction of Registration Requirements Act

Ayes (3): Antonio V, Kalwejt, and RowanBrandon
Nays (6): AHDuke99, bgwah, HappyWarrior, NC Yankee, shua, and Snowguy716
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (1): Oakvale

The amendment is not adopted.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2011, 03:32:11 AM »

Nay

My fellow colleagues supporting more stringent registration requirements would turn this place into a club of a few select people that have satisfied the insane requirements in order to play the game.  Atlasia should be available to any and all who are interested without undue barriers.

If you were really that put off by people like Hamilton, get over it!  You act as if you lost sleep over it, when in fact it probably only increased legitimate interest in the game.  I know I joined because I wanted to get in on the action.  I can't imagine wanting to join now if I were still uninvolved.

Damn, next you'll be saying Hamilton helped revive the NE in late 2009. Antonio is going to be mad when he sees this. Tongue

I can't even respond to so much bullsh*t.

Ok guys, pass this crap and enjoy the next zombie invasion.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2011, 03:53:32 AM »

Activity for the sake of activity isn't always good. It's hard to argue Hamilton effected the game in a positive way. His actions, while they did bring attention due to the sheer ridiculousness, would eventually have torn the game apart.

I still want an amendment for 2 weeks. I'm not sold on reducing it to 10 days quite yet.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2011, 09:29:47 AM »

This illusionment certain members of the left are trying to sway that making a slight reduction to our registration requirements would create a zombie invasion is simply untrue. Recently, we've had several new members who had to wait around to meet requirements, and are already making an impact on the game (Cincinnatus, for example). If a member decided to start another zombie invasion, slightly stiffer registration requirements would do nothing to stop it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »

Activity for the sake of activity isn't always good. It's hard to argue Hamilton effected the game in a positive way. His actions, while they did bring attention due to the sheer ridiculousness, would eventually have torn the game apart.

I still want an amendment for 2 weeks. I'm not sold on reducing it to 10 days quite yet.

Really? No sh**t.

Nay

I can't even respond to so much bullsh*t.

Ok guys, pass this crap and enjoy the next zombie invasion.

Do you not know what sarcasm is? Roll Eyes God, you are starting to be worse then Marokai in terms of annoying me. Tongue
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2011, 06:29:34 PM »

I want very high requirements for registration. It'll help keep out the retards(and yes, I managed to sneak through).
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2011, 08:43:59 AM »

This illusionment certain members of the left are trying to sway that making a slight reduction to our registration requirements would create a zombie invasion is simply untrue. Recently, we've had several new members who had to wait around to meet requirements, and are already making an impact on the game (Cincinnatus, for example). If a member decided to start another zombie invasion, slightly stiffer registration requirements would do nothing to stop it.

This reasoning is easily reversed: If a member really wants to join Atlasia, dicking around with a few days on the requirements and cutting a few posts off the requirements aren't going to actually make anyone say "oh well forget about it then."

Activity requirements are activity requirements. If someone randomly shows up wanting to join Atlasia, they're probably just going to do so as soon as they register and be told to come back later on regardless of what they are. I don't know what this sort of little watering down of requirements does to help activity in any meaningful way.

If you really want to do what you're arguing for, activity for the sake of activity and all that jazz, why don't you just propose an amendment to this that abolishes all requirements for joining entirely? It's the logical extension of all this. I don't know what careful studied eye took a look at our requirements and decided "Hmm, a few days off here and a couple dozen posts removed from there and the activity will flood in!" I just don't know what line you decided we needed to precisely get to and how you made that determination.

All you're arguing against here in the end is the existence of any registration requirements whatsoever. If someone wants to join, any registration requirements at all are going to get in the way at some point, so you may as well just scrap them if that's what you're going for.

I mean, besides that, it sort of ruins the point of registration requirements if you just try to make them so low they're completely meaningless anyway.

And frankly, the only person I see here actively trying to make this a left/right issue is you.

Also this "people are trying to make this an exclusive club of men" thing is just ridiculous. 75 posts and your account being 15 days or older makes Atlasia "exclusive"? Really?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2011, 08:44:57 AM »

I plan to veto this if this amendment passes. 18 is a completely random number that will make counting back more difficult, and is also too excessive.

I'd enjoy hearing where you think the President has the authority to veto Constitutional Amendments.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2011, 10:47:27 AM »

I plan to veto this if this amendment passes. 18 is a completely random number that will make counting back more difficult, and is also too excessive.

I'd enjoy hearing where you think the President has the authority to veto Constitutional Amendments.

Maybe because the word Amendment wasn't included in the Topic Line in the last Update of it, confused him. It needs updating so I will add it back in now. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2011, 10:53:49 AM »
« Edited: May 06, 2011, 10:56:21 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

If you go back to the 2nd of May when I changed it, after starting the vote, the word "amendment" got removed from the title and inserted back in the parenthesis to describe the current action being taken. I can't remember if it was just a error or if it was necessitated by limited space which happens at times, probably the former.

Edit: A quick experiement reveals that SENATE BILL: Reduction of Registration Requirements Amendment (Amendment at Vote) doesn't fit. Why I eliminated a word from the title instead of abreviating the action like I would normally do, I can't tell you. Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2011, 11:21:52 AM »

Was hoping others wouldn't notice that and it could and use it to get people to vote nay. Tongue

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2011, 01:02:02 PM »

@Yank : I was refering to Snowguy's post, not yours.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2011, 01:04:42 PM »

And frankly, the only person I see here actively trying to make this a left/right issue is you.
I don't think this is necessarily a left vs. right issue, though it seems conservatives are much more friendly to a newbie friendly game than liberals are, as previous votes have shown.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2011, 02:12:08 PM »

I think the argument can be made that for the longevity of the game, we need solid requirements in place. For example: we lower the limit and suddenly we have tons of people signing up, posting for a few days, and then leaving. I think to an extend, it is important we do have a way to ensure members who sign up to play sign up for the right reasons, and they are members that actually plan to stick around and even participate Shocked !

This isn't a left/right issue. It's more of a divide between those who want a more open community and those who want a higher quality community. We've seen in the past that massive recruitment drives leads to deadweight losses and little activity. The byproducts of gaming the system are beginning to rear its ugly head in the shrinking voter rolls, low election turnout, and inactivity in certain regions that will not be named.

I'm in favor of dropping the number of posts required to join, but I do think the member needs to be around the forum for 2 weeks at minimum before it can decide whether he is in for the long haul and wishes to join this game.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2011, 02:28:49 PM »

I think the argument can be made that for the longevity of the game, we need solid requirements in place. For example: we lower the limit and suddenly we have tons of people signing up, posting for a few days, and then leaving. I think to an extend, it is important we do have a way to ensure members who sign up to play sign up for the right reasons, and they are members that actually plan to stick around and even participate Shocked !

This isn't a left/right issue. It's more of a divide between those who want a more open community and those who want a higher quality community. We've seen in the past that massive recruitment drives leads to deadweight losses and little activity. The byproducts of gaming the system are beginning to rear its ugly head in the shrinking voter rolls, low election turnout, and inactivity in certain regions that will not be named.

I'm in favor of dropping the number of posts required to join, but I do think the member needs to be around the forum for 2 weeks at minimum before it can decide whether he is in for the long haul and wishes to join this game.
After some heavy consideration, I am willing to bring the waiting time to 14 days. I still believe 50 posts is a good minimum post count, however.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2011, 07:40:08 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2011, 03:06:54 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

How is this then?

Which reminds me, we need to figure out the numbering system if my tracker is continued. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2011, 06:29:06 PM »

I don't think this is necessarily a left vs. right issue, though it seems conservatives are much more friendly to a newbie friendly game than liberals are, as previous votes have shown.

And you continue to.

Also, you addressed nothing at the heart of what I said. You literally just entirely avoided even quoting 90% of what I said.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2011, 06:37:17 PM »

Frankly I don't care who's more friendly to new members. I only care about the problems that it might cause if we lower the number of days to 5 or 10. We want people who will be worth a damn in this game, not people to register on impulse. I think this is an Atlasian issue.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2011, 02:51:42 PM »

I'd apreciate too if President Tmthforu could respond to Marokai's post. It really sums up all the concerns of all the opponents of this bills, concerns that still haven't been adressed.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2011, 03:43:52 PM »

I agree that there should be a certain amount of time before a new poster can be able to join. I proposed originally a low number expecting it to go up, but hopefully bring about debate as well, which it has. My main argument from lowering the days from 15 to 14 is I think two weeks is much easier to count and figure.

I don't think post counts should be considered too much in the figuring of registration requirements, because it doesn't judge the merits of a poster. I'd rather have a poster who made careful, in-depth posts who doesn't post as much per day than one who can easily spam their way up. Honestly, I wouldn't mind completely removing requirements on number of posts, but I'm just trying to meet some sort of common ground here.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2011, 05:24:16 PM »

I propose the following amendment:

Reduction of Registration Requirements Amendment
Article V, Section 2, Clause 1 of the Atlasian Constitution is hereby amended to read:
1.  A person may become a registered voter once they have been a member of the Atlas forum for no less than fourteen (14) days.  In registration, the person must state their name and State of fantasy residence; In addition, they may optionally state a political affiliation.

I think two weeks is plenty long, and I don't think a posting minimum makes any difference.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2011, 07:37:39 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2011, 06:34:47 PM by Dallasfan65 »

Sponsor, do you deem the above amendment friendly or unfriendly?

Also, do you deem Yankee's amendment friendly or unfriendly? (Since I seemed to have missed it yesterday.)

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2011, 07:48:48 PM »

If anybody doubted the need for an amendment tracker, here is why it is needed

The sponsor hasn't even responded with that regarding my amendment on the previous page.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2011, 11:24:22 PM »

I don't know how i feel about eliminating the post requirement altogether.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies