SENATE BILL: Reduction of Registration Requirements Amendment (Pass to Regions)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:42:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Reduction of Registration Requirements Amendment (Pass to Regions)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Reduction of Registration Requirements Amendment (Pass to Regions)  (Read 14771 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: May 30, 2011, 04:21:39 PM »

Let's just lower the registration requirement back to 18 or 25 and get on with it... Tongue
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #201 on: June 02, 2011, 06:49:56 PM »

We seem to be going in circles here. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #202 on: June 02, 2011, 08:04:39 PM »

A compromise seems to exist here, just no one willing to write it up. I can't really recall any Senate debate in my entire history of interacting with the Senate that got this much stubbornness from its supporters regarding any compromises and also got so many alternative proposals that never actually got anywhere at all.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #203 on: June 02, 2011, 09:56:58 PM »

A compromise seems to exist here, just no one willing to write it up. I can't really recall any Senate debate in my entire history of interacting with the Senate that got this much stubbornness from its supporters regarding any compromises and also got so many alternative proposals that never actually got anywhere at all.

A compromise between what and what? I can't even remember which proposal we're debating at this point.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #204 on: June 03, 2011, 09:24:29 AM »

A compromise between what and what? I can't even remember which proposal we're debating at this point.

There's definitely been a ton, which is part of what surprises me about this whole debate. When I was in the Senate I actually dreaded compromises because people were very quick to jump on them and pass it, yet now there's been so many proposals in this discussion and none of them have been grabbed.

I assumed that people were coming around to Junkie's idea. Maybe I was mis-reading the mood, but at least a few people in this discussion that are opposed to reducing registration requirements are open to the idea of making the current registration requirement absolutely nothing, and moving that requirement to a "voting eligibility requirement" instead, making sure that people are free to immediately register and start getting involved in the community of the game before they can actually vote.

At least, Antonio seems open to the idea, and Duke seems to consider it the least offensive of the proposals. There's two Senate votes right there, if anyone around this body actually still bothers to count votes in the background.

It's a perfectly reasonable idea that keeps us cautious folk happy while allowing the pro-reduction side the victory of at least getting the newbies instantly into the game, even if they can't vote. (For anyone who thinks it would actually be too hard on the RG or SoFE, I think you guys drastically underestimate the capability of those two jobs. People check for voting eligibility anyway, and it wouldn't be that hard to check regardless. It causes no extra work worth noting.)

If that's not a compromise you people can agree on then you may as well get this thing voted down and move on.

(There was also my proposal, of course, that was about leaving the registration requirement the same as it is currently, but reducing the voter eligibility post requirement instead, to focus more on retaining voters we already have, but some people here seem to erroneously think we have a recruitment problem, despite the empirical evidence to the contrary.)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #205 on: June 04, 2011, 06:29:24 PM »

If anything can be gleaned from the most recent election (federal and NE), requirements aren't the problem. If anything, most of the new members that join never fully get off the ground, and these requirements aren't to blame for this. There's an aura of death around Atlasia. No new excitement. No real scandals. No fresh faces for the most part in proportion to all the new members of late. I think the poor turnout in the easter election isn't an anomaly anymore, but the start of a trend.

And reducing the requirements won't help this problem. It will probably just worsen it. (Think NE on steroids).
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #206 on: June 04, 2011, 06:56:17 PM »

Its a shame that people prefer the shock value of scandals and intrigue over practically everything else. I always considered such to be something that occured on the margins, an unnecessary extention and distraction from what made the game great. Thus it lessoned the game and it seemlingly was caused by carelessness or irresponsibility, so it seemed quite easy to purge it. I shudder to think that we find ourselves openly questioning whether taking such a concerted action, against something that was destroying the game, actually succeeded ultimately in destroying it. hmmmm!!!!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #207 on: June 04, 2011, 07:01:35 PM »

Its a shame that people prefer the shock value of scandals and intrigue over practically everything else. I always considered such to be something that occured on the margins, an unnecessary extention and distraction from what made the game great. Thus it lessoned the game and it seemlingly was caused by carelessness or irresponsibility, so it seemed quite easy to purge it. I shudder to think that we find ourselves openly questioning whether taking such a concerted action, against something that was destroying the game, actually succeeded ultimately in destroying it. hmmmm!!!!

It's a shame, you're right. I do think that's one of the reasons why activity is down though. There's no universal figure to hate, no compelling reason for most people to check out the fantasy election site. Hell, most of the threads are days old on the main forum. I wish john engle would return!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #208 on: June 04, 2011, 07:27:26 PM »

Universal figure of hate? What the hell is this, the end of Code Geass? Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #209 on: June 04, 2011, 07:31:09 PM »

Listen to me! What I'm saying is nothing has happened in Atlasia to shake things up in quite sometime. That's why we are seeing such a lack of activity. It isn't because registration requirements are too high! Looking at recent activity, we aren't having any trouble getting new members to sign up. We are having a time keeping them, and even older members, active!

I know I've been away for a few days, but surely I'm not going crazy! Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #210 on: June 04, 2011, 07:50:43 PM »

Listen to me! What I'm saying is nothing has happened in Atlasia to shake things up in quite sometime. That's why we are seeing such a lack of activity. It isn't because registration requirements are too high! Looking at recent activity, we aren't having any trouble getting new members to sign up. We are having a time keeping them, and even older members, active!

I know I've been away for a few days, but surely I'm not going crazy! Tongue

I can't for the life of me figure out what you are responding to in such fashion. You must have misunderstood my previous post, for I had no thought of calling anyone crazy, save for Atlasia's present state maybe.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #211 on: June 04, 2011, 09:51:09 PM »

As usual on this issue, Duke is completely right. Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #212 on: June 04, 2011, 09:55:53 PM »

As usual on this issue, Duke is completely right. Tongue

Of course. Marokai knows what I'm talking about because he and I were once consumed with a problem sparked by a past controversial figure. I'm glad at least someone understands me! Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #213 on: June 04, 2011, 09:58:43 PM »

So what should be done?

Get someone to be Mr. Evil for the next six months? Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #214 on: June 04, 2011, 10:03:22 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2011, 10:08:54 PM by Senator Duke »

So what should be done?

I think we're veering off track. I said I'd support 50:14 and I stand by that. I am just saying it likely will do nothing for activity. In short, I'm supporting 50:14 cause I said I would, not because I believe it will do anything. Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #215 on: June 04, 2011, 10:08:45 PM »

So what should be done?

I think we're vearing off track. I said I'd support 50:14 and I stand by that. I am just saying it likely will do nothing for activity. In short, I'm supporting 50:14 cause I said I would, not because I believe it will do anything. Wink

Oh yes, my amendment from like three weeks ago.

I think you just lost Marokai Blue with that line of reasoning. Wink Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #216 on: June 04, 2011, 10:11:40 PM »

So what should be done?

I think we're vearing off track. I said I'd support 50:14 and I stand by that. I am just saying it likely will do nothing for activity. In short, I'm supporting 50:14 cause I said I would, not because I believe it will do anything. Wink

I'll never lose Marokai. We're friends forever. He won't judge me for what I just said because it didn't make any sense!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #217 on: June 04, 2011, 10:15:24 PM »

So what should be done?

I'll never lose Marokai. We're friends forever. He won't judge me for what I just said because it didn't make any sense!

He hath pre-condemned you . Check the earlier pages where he criticizes people supporting amendments for reasons other than what there effectiveness and practicality is. Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #218 on: June 04, 2011, 10:20:40 PM »

So what should be done?

He hath pre-condemned you . Check the earlier pages where he criticizes people supporting amendments for reasons other than what there effectiveness and practicality is. Tongue

At least I'm being honest about my dishonesty. I could be a flipflopper and drop my support of the 50:14 compromise, or I could trust Marokai will give me a pass on this one. We all make mistakes, right?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #219 on: June 04, 2011, 10:31:07 PM »

I could never hate you, Duke. Tongue

50:14, I don't think would make any difference whatsoever, is why I think we shouldn't bother, but I don't think it would destroy anything. I just think we should be doing things only if we actually think they could have some sort of benefit, which no supporter of reductions in general has been able to do for any of the reduction proposals.

The reason I'd be willing to give Duke a pass on it is because he and I are on the same page on the issue overall. I condemn people who, I get the sense, just want to reduce them so certain Senators can prattle on and on about how much they Purple heart newbies instead of actually addressing the real problem, which I don't think reducing any sort of requirements actually does. I just don't like this issue becoming a political football that forces people to get into some sort of "who loves new people the most!" contest.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #220 on: June 04, 2011, 11:19:33 PM »

The current text is the 50:14.

We have a preposal to remove the requirement for registration and create a new one for voting (Is this on top of the current activity/positing requirement or in place of as far as this preposal is concerned?).

We have preposal by bgwah to go as low as 18 posts and I beleive no day requirement.

Finally we have Marokai's idea about dropping the activity/positing requirement down to preserve the the number of voters.

Are these not the current alternatives that have been put forth?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #221 on: June 05, 2011, 12:33:55 PM »

Jackson
Washington
Jesus Christ Party(AKA EVIL PARTY THAT IS DESTROYING ATLASIA BY WORSHIPING BGWAH)
Retry

This member spammed the forum with 50-some posts in the matter of several hours in order to be eligible to vote (even though the deadline isn't for a couple days). I do believe that this backs my argument that higher posting requirements encourages spamming.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #222 on: June 05, 2011, 06:27:30 PM »

The current text is the 50:14.

We have a preposal to remove the requirement for registration and create a new one for voting (Is this on top of the current activity/positing requirement or in place of as far as this preposal is concerned?).

We have preposal by bgwah to go as low as 18 posts and I beleive no day requirement.

Finally we have Marokai's idea about dropping the activity/positing requirement down to preserve the the number of voters.

Are these not the current alternatives that have been put forth?

I don't support removing the "X # of posts over the past 8 weeks" rule, if that's what you mean.

I do support lowing the registration post requirement.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #223 on: June 05, 2011, 06:33:30 PM »

Jackson
Washington
Jesus Christ Party(AKA EVIL PARTY THAT IS DESTROYING ATLASIA BY WORSHIPING BGWAH)
Retry

This member spammed the forum with 50-some posts in the matter of several hours in order to be eligible to vote (even though the deadline isn't for a couple days). I do believe that this backs my argument that higher posting requirements encourages spamming.

Edge cases exist, but the current rules have, undeniably, worked to protect Atlasia from this sort of thing since we implemented the rules. Even if it can't stop everything, it does make it very easy to spot the people that do this sort of thing to register, though, doesn't it? If there were no registration requirements whatsoever, we couldn't separate the spammers from the more careful ones.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #224 on: June 05, 2011, 06:38:24 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2011, 06:40:21 PM by bgwah »

On the other hand, Jackson has been posting on Atlas for over three months, maybe not as often as some of us, but he's still consistently been here. He also expressed an interest in Atlasia early on, but was prohibited from participating due to the very high posting requirements. I'm not defending "spamming," nor do I encourage it, but it doesn't seem quite right to just dismiss someone interested in participating by labeling them a spammer.

Atlasia is probably the #1 reason I became a regular poster on this forum, and I bet many others could say the same. Perhaps Atlasia is becoming stale due to the lack of new blood.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies