SENATE BILL: Reduction of Registration Requirements Amendment (Pass to Regions) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:54:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Reduction of Registration Requirements Amendment (Pass to Regions) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Reduction of Registration Requirements Amendment (Pass to Regions)  (Read 14833 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« on: April 06, 2011, 03:37:14 PM »

75 and 15 days.

A resolute and definitive no. The last thing we need is easing zombie recruitment.

^^^

My thoughts exactly.

Also: quality, people, quality. It's better to have less, but committeed, citizens, than being flooded.
I think we have plenty of longstanding members who are not at all committed to this game. The only way we can know if someone will be committed to the game is by giving them a chance.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 03:50:17 PM »

I'm going to oppose this, sorry.

If you want to join, you can wait a little.

You really don't remember zombie invasion, when people were registering onsite just to get involved in Atlasia? Come on!
The zombie invasion occurred due to people previously in the game. All this would do is slightly delay the inevitable, Dave forbid that ever happens again.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 07:21:05 PM »

We can reach a compromise there.

I propose following amendment:

Reduction of Registration Requirements Amendment
Article V, Section 2, Clause 1 of the Atlasian Constitution is hereby amended to read:
1.  A person may become a registered voter if they have attained fifty posts and have been registered at the forum for at least ten days. In registration, the person must state their name and State of fantasy residence; In addition, they may optionally state a political affiliation.

How about that, Happy?
Would you be willing to vote for that?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 07:58:09 PM »

We can reach a compromise there.

I propose following amendment:

Reduction of Registration Requirements Amendment
Article V, Section 2, Clause 1 of the Atlasian Constitution is hereby amended to read:
1.  A person may become a registered voter if they have attained fifty posts and have been registered at the forum for at least ten days. In registration, the person must state their name and State of fantasy residence; In addition, they may optionally state a political affiliation.

How about that, Happy?
Would you be willing to vote for that?

I suppouse so.
In that case, I'd be fine raising the number to 10.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 03:37:20 PM »

What's the current incarnation of this bill? 10 days and 50 posts?
Yes. A reasonable compromise from what liberals want (current) and what most conservatives want (combination of historical ones)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 09:58:14 AM »

Yes. A reasonable compromise from what liberals want (current) and what most conservatives want (combination of historical ones)

That's not a conservatives vs. liberals issue. That's an issue between prudent people who don't want to ease the next zombie invasion, and foolhardy people who don't realize the dangers of this bill.
One of the biggest problems with this game continues to be activity. If a new member wants to get involved in the game, we shouldn't be requiring them to spam the forum in order to be eligible. 10 days is plenty of time for a new  member to adjust to the site.

Slightly lowering these requirements is not going to make a "zombie invasion" worse. If anything, it'll just mean more spamming on the forum at-large to get them eligible.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 10:40:18 AM »

That's not a conservatives vs. liberals issue. That's an issue between prudent people who don't want to ease the next zombie invasion, and foolhardy people who don't realize the dangers of this bill.
One of the biggest problems with this game continues to be activity. If a new member wants to get involved in the game, we shouldn't be requiring them to spam the forum in order to be eligible. 10 days is plenty of time for a new  member to adjust to the site.

Slightly lowering these requirements is not going to make a "zombie invasion" worse. If anything, it'll just mean more spamming on the forum at-large to get them eligible.

did you mean less?
No, but I see how it could be interpreted wrong. What I meant was that high requirements would just cause those zombies to have to spam up the forum even more before registering.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 10:40:41 AM »

This is a constitutional amendment, hence the "Article V, Section 2, Clause 1 of the Atlasian Constitution is hereby AMENDED to read"...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: HappyWarrior
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 02:01:30 PM »

What about 50 posts and 15 days? Encourages less spam and still makes new users wait two weeks before signing up?
If 10 can't get passed, I'd at least like to see 14, since I think that's easier to figure.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 04:21:36 PM »

I agree with Shua that 10 is the easiest amount (other than 0), but my biggest goal with this constitutional amendment is to discourage spamming on the forum at-large, and 50 helps achieve that goal.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 08:10:31 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2011, 08:13:18 AM by President Tmthforu94 »

I really don't think it is going to hurt much. My amendments were to make sure it won't hurt that much Tongue

There is a huge difference between 50 days and 10 days. If this passes, we could get overwhelmed before even realizing it.
Where are you even getting 50 from? The current requirement is 15. I think you're way exxagerating what the effect would be of this amendment. If a "zombie invasion" ever occurred again, I'm sure it would occur whether we had the current requirements or the proposed requirements.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 12:51:28 PM »

I urge the Senate to oppose this amendment. With such a lack of activity, we should be encouraging new members, not further alienating them.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 09:13:31 PM »

I plan to veto this if this amendment passes. 18 is a completely random number that will make counting back more difficult, and is also too excessive.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 09:29:47 AM »

This illusionment certain members of the left are trying to sway that making a slight reduction to our registration requirements would create a zombie invasion is simply untrue. Recently, we've had several new members who had to wait around to meet requirements, and are already making an impact on the game (Cincinnatus, for example). If a member decided to start another zombie invasion, slightly stiffer registration requirements would do nothing to stop it.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 11:21:52 AM »

I plan to veto this if this amendment passes. 18 is a completely random number that will make counting back more difficult, and is also too excessive.

I'd enjoy hearing where you think the President has the authority to veto Constitutional Amendments.
Was hoping others wouldn't notice that and it could and use it to get people to vote nay. Tongue

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 01:04:42 PM »

And frankly, the only person I see here actively trying to make this a left/right issue is you.
I don't think this is necessarily a left vs. right issue, though it seems conservatives are much more friendly to a newbie friendly game than liberals are, as previous votes have shown.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 02:28:49 PM »

I think the argument can be made that for the longevity of the game, we need solid requirements in place. For example: we lower the limit and suddenly we have tons of people signing up, posting for a few days, and then leaving. I think to an extend, it is important we do have a way to ensure members who sign up to play sign up for the right reasons, and they are members that actually plan to stick around and even participate Shocked !

This isn't a left/right issue. It's more of a divide between those who want a more open community and those who want a higher quality community. We've seen in the past that massive recruitment drives leads to deadweight losses and little activity. The byproducts of gaming the system are beginning to rear its ugly head in the shrinking voter rolls, low election turnout, and inactivity in certain regions that will not be named.

I'm in favor of dropping the number of posts required to join, but I do think the member needs to be around the forum for 2 weeks at minimum before it can decide whether he is in for the long haul and wishes to join this game.
After some heavy consideration, I am willing to bring the waiting time to 14 days. I still believe 50 posts is a good minimum post count, however.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 03:43:52 PM »

I agree that there should be a certain amount of time before a new poster can be able to join. I proposed originally a low number expecting it to go up, but hopefully bring about debate as well, which it has. My main argument from lowering the days from 15 to 14 is I think two weeks is much easier to count and figure.

I don't think post counts should be considered too much in the figuring of registration requirements, because it doesn't judge the merits of a poster. I'd rather have a poster who made careful, in-depth posts who doesn't post as much per day than one who can easily spam their way up. Honestly, I wouldn't mind completely removing requirements on number of posts, but I'm just trying to meet some sort of common ground here.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 06:48:11 AM »

My only concern with eliminating the post requirement completely is, we'll have more and more members join and subsequently leave, as well as the possibility someone could simply get all his friends to join, wait two weeks, and have them vote in elections with 1-2 posts to their name. I think 50 posts over 2 weeks, something like 3.5 posts per day, is very fair for someone to meet. Making 3 thoughtful posts a day isn't asking too much from new members. While I understand what the President wants to do with this bill, we must understand that people will inevitably exploit this and our game will suffer from mass delusion. I think the step from 75 -> 50 is a good one, but not from 75 -> 0.
In this instance, I'd also go with 50. 25 would be more acceptable to me, but I have to think of a somewhat compromisable number that could also perhaps get passed at the regional vote.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 03:58:16 PM »

So new idea, per Junkie:

Perhaps make extremely low requirements (if any) to join the game. Make another set of requirements to actually vote.

Thoughts? I will say, this would be a bit more of a hassle for the RG, SoFE, and party chairmen. Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 04:13:49 PM »

What that be sufficient?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 04:30:56 PM »

So new idea, per Junkie:

Perhaps make extremely low requirements (if any) to join the game. Make another set of requirements to actually vote.

Thoughts? I will say, this would be a bit more of a hassle for the RG, SoFE, and party chairmen. Tongue
I doubt it.  It adds a fun new dynamic to the game and, considering that we only get new members every once in a while, it shouldn't be that big of a deal for the RG.  As for party Chairmen, they can work around it.
You're right. For some reason, I was thinking they'd have to go through recent postings of a person to find if they qualify, but I guess for this, they'd just have to take a quick glance at their post count to determine if they are a valid voter.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 07:28:36 PM »

I feel like this will just create unnecessary confusion. Is it really a big deal to be registered but not be allowed to vote? I mean, you post in the new register thread that you live in a state and then what? You're free to participate in discussion whether you're registered or not. I'm not sure what this does except to make a nightmare for all of us. I can't imagine Yankee and myself having to figure out who is eligible to vote each time we have an election.
How would that be difficult for Yankee, yourself, and I, as well as other party's leaders? All you do is look at their post count, and if it's above whatever number we'd set, they're golden.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 02:56:59 PM »

What that be sufficient?

No. The requirements to vote are still ridiculously low (WTF, 7 days and 50 posts ?).

Here's my proposal :
- Registration possible after 7 days.
- Voting possible 14 days after registration, and after one has reached 75 posts).
I wasn't asking if the numbers were satisfactory to you, just if the setup was fine for the amendment. Apparently it is. I'd be fine bumping it up to 14 days on this, but I believe 50 is a better number than 75, just to discourage last-second spamming.

Something else to consider - I believe you have to be a citizen of Atlasia for a couple weeks in order to vote in elections. With this, we'd need to clarify whether the time started from when they became a citizen or when they became a voting citizen.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2011, 04:59:06 PM »

So the question is, are we going to stick with original language and just overall lower the posting requirements, or amend it for pre-registration to occur?
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies