Peerage question
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:59:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Peerage question
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Peerage question  (Read 1011 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 10, 2011, 01:01:57 PM »

First Tony Benn, then Alec Douglas-Home were able to disclaim their hereditary peerage in order to sit in the Commons, using Peerage Act 1963.

What about lifetime peers? If you were made lifetime peer, can you disclaim such peerage as well?
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 05:26:26 PM »

No. The Peerage Act 1963 was only meant to apply to hereditary peers - the only reason it was passed was to allow Tony Benn to relieve himself of his peerage so he could sit in the House of Commons - it is for people who had no choice in their succession to the peerage.

There has been talk in recent years to pass a similar provision for Life Peers to allow those people to run for and sit in the House of Commons - Lord Mandleson of Malfoy for example - and even a few bills on the subejct, but nothing has made it onto the books.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 07:34:34 PM »

Thanks, Peter Smiley

Btw, I find that interesting that once peer is disclaiming hereditary peerage, the heir apparent still have to wait for the predecessor's death to take a seat in Lords.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 01:01:07 AM »

Thanks, Peter Smiley

Btw, I find that interesting that once peer is disclaiming hereditary peerage, the heir apparent still have to wait for the predecessor's death to take a seat in Lords.

"Had to wait" as they no longer have a seat in the Lords, with two non-royal exceptions.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 11:45:50 AM »

That makes sense. While hereditary peers have no choice over becoming ones, they are now free to disclaim. But if you're accepting life peerage, you should know, what the consequences will be.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 01:46:03 PM »

Yes, several people (Alec Douglas Home, Quintin Hogg [Hailsham]) disclaimed to pursue careers in the House of Commons only to return as life peers later in their careers.

Perhaps the most odd use of the Act was by Michael Berry, Lord Hartwell. Already a life peer since 1968, he inherited a Viscountcy in 1995, but instantly disclaimed it. I simply fail to understand why - possibly a belief in the meritocratic principle?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 03:29:39 PM »

I wonder what if Lord Halifax accepted an opportunity to form a government back in 1940. Naturally, he would be prevented from having a seat in Commons, but I read somewhere he might been able to adress, as Prime Minister, the Commons thanks to some special act.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 10:08:11 PM »

Yes, several people (Alec Douglas Home, Quintin Hogg [Hailsham]) disclaimed to pursue careers in the House of Commons only to return as life peers later in their careers.

Perhaps the most odd use of the Act was by Michael Berry, Lord Hartwell. Already a life peer since 1968, he inherited a Viscountcy in 1995, but instantly disclaimed it. I simply fail to understand why - possibly a belief in the meritocratic principle?

Could he have been worried about then potential Lords' reform? 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies