Sexual abuse education for kindergartners?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:01:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Sexual abuse education for kindergartners?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Did you get this sort of training in kindergarten?  Should you?
yes/yes

yes/no

no/no

no/yes

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Sexual abuse education for kindergartners?  (Read 5284 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2011, 09:42:59 AM »

do you have any words you always misspell?  

You referring to my spelling it as kindergartners in the thread title?

It is my instinct to spell it kindergartener.  Like, kindergarten, but with the usual German suffix -er, since kinder and garten are both German words.  But it seemed odd, so I looked it up at Merriam-Webster online.  Apparently kindergartner (without the E between the T and the N) is the preferred spelling in the U.S., and it first occurred in 1881, and gradually replaced kindergartener, although the latter is acceptable as well, according to some other dictionaries.  

My son's school district also spells it as kindergartners.  So I'll stick with that.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2011, 10:23:19 AM »

The only argument we ever got into with his school was about a tomato.  They were going over "fruits and vegetables" one day, Now, he normally gets perfect scores in all the academic stuff, and is by far the best reader in his class.  His numeracy is the best as well.  We pressure him hard in that way, and I intend for his math, reading, geography, and science scores to remain at the top of the class.  (His conduct is often unsatisfactory, I'll admit, and his manners and social skills need some work, but the academic stuff is going swimmingly.)

Anyway, so he had been taught that a tomato, like a jalapeņo and an apple and a grape, is a fruit.  It is the swollen ovary of an angiosperm, or flowering plant.  As for vegetables, well we hadn't really used that word much about the house, since it's a redundant and unnecessary term.  Anything that gets called a "vegetable" can be classified as either a fruit,a shoot,or a root.  And, more generally, the term "vegetable" can be applied to any part of any plant, especially to distinguish plants from either animals or minerals.  Still, I'm aware that the confusing phrase "fruits and vegetables" exists in nutritional contexts.  So one day he gets a problem wrong.  Apparently, they had been instructed to put a circle around the fruits and an X on the "vegetables."  Of course he put a circle around the tomato.  And he got the question wrong.  At the end of the week, when his papers came home, I noticed that he had a 128 out of 129 grade for the week.  What's this?  This has never happened before!  "How the hell did you get a 128 out of 129?" I demanded, preparing to go into a diatribe about the importance of good grades. He showed me his paper and proceeded to explain the problem.  So we discussed it a bit and I told him I'd pay his teacher a little visit on Monday.

On Monday I showed up at her room about 20 minutes before class started to find out what the problem was.  I explained that my son was well aware of the definition of a fruit.  And that a tomato is, by definition, a fruit.  She then began to give me this long story about how scientific terminology sometimes contradicts everyday use and refers me to a U.S. Supreme Court case, Nix v. Hedden, 149 U.S. 304 (1893), in which it was decided that, for the purposes of customs regulations, a tomato is classified as a "vegetable."  Apparently in that decision the court recognized that a tomato was, by definition, a fruit, but that with respect to New York local tax laws, it would not be taxed at the lower "fruit" rate but rather at the higher "vegetable" rate.  Bollocks!  The supreme court often makes poor decisions, I explained.  I asked her, "Do you think Plessy v. Ferguson--a decision rendered about the same time as Nix v. Hedden, and therefore by the same court--was a sound decision?  A future supreme court would find it to be a poor decision.  What's the meaning of all this?"  She agreed that the supreme court often made decisions with which she disagrees but that it wasn't really germane to our discussion.  In the end, she explained that she has certain materials that come, state-mandated, and she must teach them.  It's a contractual obligation.  Take it up with your legislator.

Okay, I'll admit that I haven't followed that one up with my state legislator.  But I did explain to the boy all about fruits and flowering plants and such.  And, exploited the teaching moment.  There will be other occasions when the official line of the school differs from my interpretation, or from his mother's.  Actually, I knew that would happen, but I'd imagined that it would be in a history or social studies class.  Anyway, I took the time to suggest that it was important to remember what you're taught and be able to repeat it for the purposes of exams.  Your own understanding of the universe need not be diminished by the school, and in fact it is generally enhanced, but when it happens that something is falsely stated, or stated with an interpretation that differs from your own, you must decide whether it is appropriate to do battle.  In this case, I think it is a minor point, an it would be better to let the teacher follow Nix v. Hedden and continue making the highest grades in the class. If you pick this battle, I'll support you.  100%.  But choose your battles wisely.   A little controversy is good for the brain, but too much and you'll get a bad reputation among the faculty in your school.  In any case, if your teachers ever tell you anything that contradicts something your parents have said--and they will, from time to time!--then discuss these matters with your parents before disrupting class over it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2011, 10:49:37 AM »

The only argument we ever got into with his school was about a tomato.  They were going over "fruits and vegetables" one day, Now, he normally gets perfect scores in all the academic stuff, and is by far the best reader in his class.  His numeracy is the best as well.  We pressure him hard in that way, and I intend for his math, reading, geography, and science scores to remain at the top of the class.  (His conduct is often unsatisfactory, I'll admit, and his manners and social skills need some work, but the academic stuff is going swimmingly.)

Anyway, so he had been taught that a tomato, like a jalapeņo and an apple and a grape, is a fruit.  It is the swollen ovary of an angiosperm, or flowering plant.  As for vegetables, well we hadn't really used that word much about the house, since it's a redundant and unnecessary term.  Anything that gets called a "vegetable" can be classified as either a fruit,a shoot,or a root.  And, more generally, the term "vegetable" can be applied to any part of any plant, especially to distinguish plants from either animals or minerals.  Still, I'm aware that the confusing phrase "fruits and vegetables" exists in nutritional contexts.  So one day he gets a problem wrong.  Apparently, they had been instructed to put a circle around the fruits and an X on the "vegetables."  Of course he put a circle around the tomato.  And he got the question wrong.  At the end of the week, when his papers came home, I noticed that he had a 128 out of 129 grade for the week.  What's this?  This has never happened before!  "How the hell did you get a 128 out of 129?" I demanded, preparing to go into a diatribe about the importance of good grades. He showed me his paper and proceeded to explain the problem.  So we discussed it a bit and I told him I'd pay his teacher a little visit on Monday.

On Monday I showed up at her room about 20 minutes before class started to find out what the problem was.  I explained that my son was well aware of the definition of a fruit.  And that a tomato is, by definition, a fruit.  She then began to give me this long story about how scientific terminology sometimes contradicts everyday use and refers me to a U.S. Supreme Court case, Nix v. Hedden, 149 U.S. 304 (1893), in which it was decided that, for the purposes of customs regulations, a tomato is classified as a "vegetable."  Apparently in that decision the court recognized that a tomato was, by definition, a fruit, but that with respect to New York local tax laws, it would not be taxed at the lower "fruit" rate but rather at the higher "vegetable" rate.  Bollocks!  The supreme court often makes poor decisions, I explained.  I asked her, "Do you think Plessy v. Ferguson--a decision rendered about the same time as Nix v. Hedden, and therefore by the same court--was a sound decision?  A future supreme court would find it to be a poor decision.  What's the meaning of all this?"  She agreed that the supreme court often made decisions with which she disagrees but that it wasn't really germane to our discussion.  In the end, she explained that she has certain materials that come, state-mandated, and she must teach them.  It's a contractual obligation.  Take it up with your legislator.

Okay, I'll admit that I haven't followed that one up with my state legislator.  But I did explain to the boy all about fruits and flowering plants and such.  And, exploited the teaching moment.  There will be other occasions when the official line of the school differs from my interpretation, or from his mother's.  Actually, I knew that would happen, but I'd imagined that it would be in a history or social studies class.  Anyway, I took the time to suggest that it was important to remember what you're taught and be able to repeat it for the purposes of exams.  Your own understanding of the universe need not be diminished by the school, and in fact it is generally enhanced, but when it happens that something is falsely stated, or stated with an interpretation that differs from your own, you must decide whether it is appropriate to do battle.  In this case, I think it is a minor point, an it would be better to let the teacher follow Nix v. Hedden and continue making the highest grades in the class. If you pick this battle, I'll support you.  100%.  But choose your battles wisely.   A little controversy is good for the brain, but too much and you'll get a bad reputation among the faculty in your school.  In any case, if your teachers ever tell you anything that contradicts something your parents have said--and they will, from time to time!--then discuss these matters with your parents before disrupting class over it.

I fell in love with this post.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2011, 10:55:14 AM »

Absolutely classic, angus.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length