Game of Thrones on HBO
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:59:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Game of Thrones on HBO
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Game of Thrones on HBO  (Read 3362 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2011, 10:43:48 AM »

Anyone else looking forward to this HBO series that starts this Sunday? I haven't read the books, but have ordered them after hearing my coworkers recommendations and watching a few minutes of the show.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 11:36:37 AM »

I AM SO FREAKING EXCITED

I've been a devoted fan of A Song of Ice and Fire since for about 5 years now, and the fact that they're even making this series(!) and that it's clearly going to be absolutely wonderful(!!!) makes me Grin

If ASoIaF is the kind of series for you—and there's definitely people for which that is not the case—you should really enjoy it.  George R. R. Martin is a fantastic writer.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 11:42:07 AM »

Yep, I'm looking forward to it. The books are brilliant, Storm of Swords might actually have been the best books I've ever read. I like the complex characters and their grey morality.

The even better news than the TV-series though, Dance of Dragons is supousedly coming out sometime this summer.

Winter is coming Grin
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 04:55:30 AM »

This is airing the day after on Sky Atlantic. Yes, it's on my DVR.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 05:08:07 PM »

Bump.  Anyone watching?  It took me a bit to get into the show and understand who they heck all of the characters were, but I'm locked in now.  I downloaded all of the episodes this week and watched like 3 in a row yesterday. Some very solid acting- Peter Dinklage in particular. The kid who plays the prince is really good too because I feel like strangling him through the screen.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 06:04:38 PM »

Yeah, it takes a while to get into it, but by the fourth episode or so I was pretty hooked. The last two in particular have been fantastic, and last night's ending was ridiculous (in a good way). I like that most of the characters are pretty fleshed out as well; in most fantasy stories a lot of these guys would be one note stereotypes, but in this one they're pretty multi-dimensional.

Peter Dinklage better get an Emmy.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 06:07:27 PM »

Yeah, I have been very impressed with the show.  And yes, all the characters were confusing as hell at first.  I still get confused sometimes.  

That "golden crown" was awesome.

..and I concur about Peter Dinklage.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »

Bump.  Anyone watching?  It took me a bit to get into the show and understand who they heck all of the characters were, but I'm locked in now.  I downloaded all of the episodes this week and watched like 3 in a row yesterday. Some very solid acting- Peter Dinklage in particular. The kid who plays the prince is really good too because I feel like strangling him through the screen.

I can say as a fanboy of the books that the child actress who plays Arya is so perfect omgz.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 10:14:47 PM »

I'd like to start reading the series and watching this, but I refuse until the lazy, fat turd actually decides to finish.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 07:41:17 PM »

I love it! I've been a huge fan of the books and was worried that the show would disappoint--far from it! Those of you who haven't read the books have to share some of your predictions for the back half of the season. It'll be entertaining.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 11:32:15 PM »

I love it! I've been a huge fan of the books and was worried that the show would disappoint--far from it! Those of you who haven't read the books have to share some of your predictions for the back half of the season. It'll be entertaining.

Oh, please do!
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2011, 07:06:36 PM by Swedish Cheese »

I was just on IMDB and somebody had posted this in the discussion forum.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I lol'd. Oh if ye only knew.

EDIT: And I've enjoyed the series so far. Very true to the source material on most things. And I agree with ilikeverin, Arya is perfect.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 04:47:52 AM »

I didn't find the premise of the show intriguing, but it's premium cable so I figured it was worth a try, and I don't regret it. I was hooked after the first episode!

Predictions? Well I figured out the crown prince wasn't actually the King's kid pretty early on, but I thought that was kind of obvious given the twincest we saw in the first episode. And of course they basically said so at the end of the last episode.

Other things I've wondered, though:
-Was the previous King's hand who was assassinated looking for the real heir to the throne by searching for the King's bastard children? Is that metal shop fellow the real crown prince? ha.
-Did the Lanisters kill the King's first wife (and Ed's sister)
-Is Snow not actually Ed's son? Perhaps its his brother's son, who wasn't supposed to have kids
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 05:28:34 AM »

Other things I've wondered, though:
-Was the previous King's hand who was assassinated looking for the real heir to the throne by searching for the King's bastard children? Is that metal shop fellow the real crown prince? ha.
-Did the Lanisters kill the King's first wife (and Ed's sister)
-Is Snow not actually Ed's son? Perhaps its his brother's son, who wasn't supposed to have kids

Glad you like it. Smiley

No a bastard ca only inherit in Westeros if there are no other heirs so Robert's brothers Stannis (who haven't appeared on the show yet) and Renly would inherit before Robert's children out of wedlock.

Lyanna was just betrothed to Robert, never actually married, and the Lannisters had nothing to do with her. You'll probably find out more about her in the next couple of episodes.

As for Jon Snow, you might be on to something. Nothing has been reveild in the books (and if it had I wouldn't tell you) but there have been a few clues that point in a certain direction...   
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 10:22:47 PM »

The people making this show really know how to end an episode! Soooooo good.

And finally, we got a little HBO-style pointless lesbianism. Grin
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 10:36:51 AM »

As for Jon Snow, you might be on to something. Nothing has been reveild in the books (and if it had I wouldn't tell you) but there have been a few clues that point in a certain direction...

Yes, there's a certain hypothesis in regards to that I thought up one night that others also thought of in regards to that. The implications will be quite interesting if it's correct.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 01:01:12 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2011, 03:11:14 PM by Verily »

Yes, there's a certain hypothesis in regards to that I thought up one night that others also thought of in regards to that. The implications will be quite interesting if it's correct.

Since you guys won't do it... Spoiler alert!

He's very likely (although not 100% confirmed in the books, very strongly hinted at) the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen (Viserys and Daenerys's dead older brother, the one Robert hated). Lyanna likely died giving birth to him. Lyanna was Eddard's sister, the one whom Robert loved. You saw a statute of her in the Winterfell crypt in the first episode. Rhaegar "abducting" her was what triggered the events leading to Robert's rebellion, but all indications are that she actually went quite willingly and loved Rhaegar.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 01:08:24 PM »

Uh, Syrio better not be dead after last night's episode because that guy was awesome.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 02:56:47 PM »

He's very likely (although not 100% confirmed in the books, very strongly hinted at) the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen (Viserys and Daenerys's dead older brother, the one Robert hated). Lyanna likely died giving birth to him. Lyanna was Eddard's older sister, the one whom Robert loved. You saw a statute of her in the Winterfell crypt in the first episode. Rhaegar "abducting" her was what triggered the events leading to Robert's rebellion, but all indications are that she actually went quite willingly and loved Rhaegar.

STOP THAT DON'T SPOIL THAT'S SO EVIL
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 03:00:38 PM »

I don't have HBO Sad
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 03:05:06 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2011, 03:09:52 PM by Verily »

He's very likely (although not 100% confirmed in the books, very strongly hinted at) the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen (Viserys and Daenerys's dead older brother, the one Robert hated). Lyanna likely died giving birth to him. Lyanna was Eddard's older sister, the one whom Robert loved. You saw a statute of her in the Winterfell crypt in the first episode. Rhaegar "abducting" her was what triggered the events leading to Robert's rebellion, but all indications are that she actually went quite willingly and loved Rhaegar.

STOP THAT DON'T SPOIL THAT'S SO EVIL

They only read it if they want to. Plus, if they were at this point in the books (i.e., where the show is), they'd have all the information we do on Jon's parentage, minus some vague backstory hints from much later on (but the best evidence is in the first book). I'm a little baffled by the absence of the Tower of Joy so far, although they have one more opportunity next episode, before it's too late.

I think that was obfuscating enough not to consist of any spoilers.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 11:01:51 AM »

Bump.

Cheesy
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 11:24:13 AM »

I can't think of any shows that killed off their main character in the first season. What an ending!

Also is magic a real thing in this world? Because for the first few episodes I thought this place was basically the Middle Ages but on some other planet, with all the magic (like dragons) being part of far off legend. But then suddenly blood magic in Drogo's tent last night.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 11:35:33 AM »
« Edited: June 13, 2011, 11:42:11 AM by Verily »

I can't think of any shows that killed off their main character in the first season. What an ending!

Also is magic a real thing in this world? Because for the first few episodes I thought this place was basically the Middle Ages but on some other planet, with all the magic (like dragons) being part of far off legend. But then suddenly blood magic in Drogo's tent last night.

The basic gist of it is that there is clearly magic, or some sort of divine power, but it's not very strong and fairly limited in scope. The last dragons lived only ~150 years ago (this is stated on the show), so they aren't far-off legend even though they are all extinct at the time of the series. Without spoiling anything, there will be a bit more magic in season 2, for reasons that are best left unexplained as of yet (and which is a little ambiguous in the books, too, mainly because none of the characters really know why).

Magic is in the background, and magical things happen (and sometimes drive parts of the plot), but magic is not powerful or (for the most part) institutionalized.

Also, want to make sure you know that there is one more episode to the season next week. Be sure to watch it. It will have two of the best scenes in the series--one that will look like the finale, and you'll be wondering why the episode isn't over, and then another one that will actually be the finale and will leave you wondering why you thought the first one was the finale at all.

I'm curious whether they will show... events... at Highgarden next episode that we didn't get to see in the book due to POV constraints. I hope so.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 01:10:13 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

They haven't cast Margeary yet, so most likly not. Still I can't wait to see the Tyrells make their real entrence next season. That little bit of Loras was way to brief. And the Roses are my favourite House.

Growing Strong Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies