Game of Thrones on HBO
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:57:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Game of Thrones on HBO
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Game of Thrones on HBO  (Read 3384 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 01:12:38 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

They haven't cast Margeary yet, so most likly not. Still I can't wait to see the Tyrells make their real entrence next season. That little bit of Loras was way to brief. And the Roses are my favourite House.

Growing Strong Grin

True. Though there were other characters who were not officially cast but appeared on screen anyway (Rickard Karstark, Maege Mormont, maybe some others I'm forgetting. Wouldn't be that hard to have Margaery hidden in a wedding veil for the episode and then have someone totally different actually play her next season. It's a stretch, though.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 01:18:45 PM »

In other news, people are dumb and terrible: http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/06/13/game-of-thrones-reaction/
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 03:16:36 PM »

Thanks for the spoiler alert guys!
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 03:41:15 PM »

Glad you liked the twist ending Lief. The fact that anyone can die is one of the reasons the books are so exciting. You actually feel nervous because your favourite character might actually end up dead. Of course I was furious in book three when my favourite character was killed and put the book down for like three hours, before I had forgiven Martin. But that kind of emotion is what's great about Asoiaf.

As for episode 9 I'm disappointed we didn't get to see anything from the battle of the Green Fork or the Battle of the Whispering Woods, I was counting on some good action. Oh well, we'll have the Battle of the Blackwater next season. Otherwise a great episode.

True. Though there were other characters who were not officially cast but appeared on screen anyway (Rickard Karstark, Maege Mormont, maybe some others I'm forgetting. Wouldn't be that hard to have Margaery hidden in a wedding veil for the episode and then have someone totally different actually play her next season. It's a stretch, though.

I'm guessing we won't see Riverrun until next season either unfortunatley, as Edmure neither has been cast. A pity. I guess they could go with a veil for Margeary, intresting theory, but I think it's unlikly. 
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 11:40:03 AM »

*hughughug* to the book virgins Sad

I'm rooting for more Tully, as I'm basically one.

I was reading reactions, and cheering for the people who responded appropriately, but I couldn't help but feel embarrassed for the guy who said he'd stop watching because "he changed nothing.  nothing happened."  Nothing?  Really?  Ned changed nothing?!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 06:48:10 PM »

Great show.  Anyone who thought any character was "untouchable" is an idiot, even if they'd never read the books (like me).  Surely anyone who stuck around for 9 episodes was engrossed in the whole show, not just trudging through the non-Bean scenes just to see him?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2011, 10:52:39 PM »

God, I hate cliff-hanger season finales. Waiting a whole year is going to suck.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2011, 11:29:51 PM »

Oh that's nothing, some book readers have been waiting for five years on the end to the cliffhangers in Feast for Crows (The fourth book)

I hear rumours it was a good episode, looking forward to seeing it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 03:46:54 AM »

Yeah, it's sitting on both of our DVRs right now waiting for the wife to get up so we can watch it.  Hopefully all the kids will be asleep before she wakes up so we can watch in peace in the living room with the good TV.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 10:48:54 PM »

Yeah, I feel sorry for all my non-book friends Sad

For readers: 22 days until our "cliffhanger" is resolved!

And this episode was fittingly awesome for an awesome show.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2012, 05:54:18 PM »

BUMP

I've spent the last two days watching this incredible series. I had never heard of the book series, but I'm itching to read it now. A few notes:

1) The "Golden Crown" was epic. That whiny bastard deserved to die.

2) I was very shocked at the death of Ned Stark. I don't think I've ever seen a TV show kill off the main character so soon. That took a lot of balls.

3) The inbred king must go.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2012, 01:55:32 AM »

I finished the book over winter break and have never seen the movie. All I'll say is that George R.R. Martin is one verbose dude. Sometimes I think he's the Charles Dickens of the early 21st century. But I enjoyed the book immensely.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2012, 07:55:39 AM »

2) I was very shocked at the death of Ned Stark. I don't think I've ever seen a TV show kill off the main character so soon. That took a lot of balls.

They pretty much HAD to. It's in the first book, and if they didn't do it they'd have to rewrite the entire story afterward - if Ned was allowed to live much of the conflict in the later books would just never occur. Rob would no longer have a justification for war and he would take his army back north, and that would just be boring.

It's one of the things I respect most about George R.R. Martin - he is not afraid to kill off an important character if it advances the story.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2012, 08:56:15 PM »

They pretty much HAD to. It's in the first book, and if they didn't do it they'd have to rewrite the entire story afterward - if Ned was allowed to live much of the conflict in the later books would just never occur. Rob would no longer have a justification for war and he would take his army back north, and that would just be boring.

It's one of the things I respect most about George R.R. Martin - he is not afraid to kill off an important character if it advances the story.

Oh, I respect him for doing so -- Ned was too noble to live. I had trouble seeing how he could possibly get himself out of the situation, though I suppose a Ned/Arya/Sansa for Jaime trade may have worked. I love to hate King Joffrey.

I just bought the first and second books today... how faithful of an adaptation is the series? Does the book have chapters/events the series does not?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »

You have no idea.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So far, about as faithful as a television adaptation could be. All the main characters' plots are pretty much spot on.

There are some additions to deal with certain things that are implied in the books but not necessarily spelled out - for instance the scene with Loras shaving Renly did not happen in the book, and it obviously makes them gay characters. This is implied multiple times in the books, but not so blatantly. (many people were shocked at it and the implications had to be pointed out to them) I've heard season 2 also has some planned additions, but as you've not gotten through the first three books I won't spoil it for you.

On the other hand some things are left out to a degree. Bran's dreams about the three-eyed crow go into much more detail in the books. Also, the dire wolves play a bigger role in the first book than they do the first season of the show. This is kind of inevitable though - you'll almost always get more detail in text.

Some things were made different for television as well. Dany in the book is 13, but she's made older in the show for reasons related to television. Bran is also a couple years younger in the books. The Mountain that Rides is also larger in the book - kind of hard to find an actor eight feet tall and scary enough I guess.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2012, 09:58:45 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2012, 10:02:03 PM by Blackwater NiK »

Does Tyrion (and Lord Tywin, I guess) have any suspicions about Jaime and Cersei's incest? I got the impression that while he likes his brother, he dislikes his sister. Just curious. I got the impression from the second episode that he knows something is up.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2012, 10:01:14 PM »

I've read all the books, but haven't yet seen the series. Looking forward to having a bit of a marathon when I get home, though.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2012, 10:24:43 PM »

Does Tyrion (and Lord Tywin, I guess) have any suspicions about Jaime and Cersei's incest? I got the impression that while he likes his brother, he dislikes his sister. Just curious. I got the impression from the second episode that he knows something is up.

It's ambiguous on purpose. I don't want to spoil anything for you or anyone else here who hasn't read the books. Suffice to say the Lannister family is rather messed up, and by the end of book three your questions about this will have been cleared up.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2012, 04:36:51 PM »

3.5 hours!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2012, 10:32:43 PM »

Watched it.  It was alright.  No YouTube videos of Cersei slapping Joffrey yet?
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2012, 05:28:53 AM »

I was a little dissapointed with it. Can't put my finger on why.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2012, 05:35:43 AM »

There were no "REALLY BIG MOMENTS!".  We were introduced to a handful of new people that weren't as over the top as most of the cast we already know.  It reeked of "set up episode" from front to back.....I don't know, I felt the same way you did.  The baby killing thing was hardcore, but didn't really come across that way for whatever reason.  I wish HBO would splurge and give us at least one big battle scene, but I'm not going to hold my breath.  They did it a couple of times with Rome, but then again, the cost (or so I've read) was one of the main reasons we didn't get another season of that great show.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2012, 06:53:05 AM »

I just watched the first two episodes of the new season online.  The second episode of the season has already aired on HBO GO in Europe, so you can find it in the usual places online.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2012, 01:16:55 AM »

The plot confuses me sometimes, but thankfully Mr. Garrison cleared some of it up for me. Grin
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2012, 04:23:02 AM »

Indeed...and probably the best episode of SP this year too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies