Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 03:14:29 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  Independents Suffering Buyer's Remorse on GOP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Independents Suffering Buyer's Remorse on GOP  (Read 668 times)
Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« on: April 12, 2011, 07:24:40 pm »
Ignore

It's only April 2011, but still it's encouraging:

Poll: ‘Fickle Independents’ down on GOP

They helped Republicans gain more than 60 seats in the U.S. House of Representatives last year, but “fickle independents” are turning against the GOP in a big way, according to a new Public Policy Polling survey.

In the poll, 46 percent of those surveyed said that if there were an election for Congress today they would vote Democratic, compared to only 41 percent who would vote Republican.

The poll asked:  “Do you think the Republicans are doing a better job than the Democrats did while in charge of the House of Representatives, a worse job, or is it about the same?”

Thirty-six percent said Republicans are doing better, but 43 percent answered that the GOP is doing a worse job than the Democrats.  Eleven percent answered “about the same.”

“The key to this strong movement back toward the Democrats right now is the same as the key to the strong movement away from the Democrats last year — fickle independents quickly growing unhappy with the party in power,” wrote Tom Jensen of the polling firm.

“Exit polls showed Independents supporting the GOP by a 19-point margin last year at 56-37.  Now only 30 percent of those voters think that the Republican-controlled House is moving things in the right direction, compared to 44 percent who think things were better with the Democrats.”

ℒief
Lief
YaBB God
Dominica

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 07:39:36 pm »
Ignore

Independents are morons. How they manage to get out of bed, put their clothes on and feed themselves in the morning, I can't even imagine.

Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 07:48:12 pm »
Ignore

Independents are morons. How they manage to get out of bed, put their clothes on and feed themselves in the morning, I can't even imagine.

Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 07:50:47 pm »
Ignore

it's a registered voters poll

Do not fight with one another over my banning.  I've enjoyed the time I have spent with all of you, but the time really has come for me to leave.  It is what I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Y_GLT4_9I

I looked over Jordan, and what did I see?
Coming for to carry me home,
A band of angels coming after me,
Coming for to carry me home.

Swing low, sweet chariot,
Coming for to carry me home.
ChanDan

Political Matrix
E: -4.84, S: -8.61

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 08:47:44 pm »
Ignore

Snowguy716
snowguy716
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -8.52

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 09:30:50 pm »
Ignore

Clearly the trend is wrong.  Clearly Michele Bachmann will be crowned Queen of Sheba and Republicans will have super majorities cuz they represent the real 'murica and they gonna cut gramma off the dole and make her WORK!

[/hack]

"Above and beyond the question of how to grow the economy there is a legitimate concern about how to grow the quality of our lives."
-Paul Wellstone

Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party
Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 09:34:07 pm »
Ignore

It's only April 2011, but still it's encouraging:

Poll: ‘Fickle Independents’ down on GOP

They helped Republicans gain more than 60 seats in the U.S. House of Representatives last year, but “fickle independents” are turning against the GOP in a big way, according to a new Public Policy Polling survey.

In the poll, 46 percent of those surveyed said that if there were an election for Congress today they would vote Democratic, compared to only 41 percent who would vote Republican.

The poll asked:  “Do you think the Republicans are doing a better job than the Democrats did while in charge of the House of Representatives, a worse job, or is it about the same?”

Thirty-six percent said Republicans are doing better, but 43 percent answered that the GOP is doing a worse job than the Democrats.  Eleven percent answered “about the same.”

“The key to this strong movement back toward the Democrats right now is the same as the key to the strong movement away from the Democrats last year — fickle independents quickly growing unhappy with the party in power,” wrote Tom Jensen of the polling firm.

“Exit polls showed Independents supporting the GOP by a 19-point margin last year at 56-37.  Now only 30 percent of those voters think that the Republican-controlled House is moving things in the right direction, compared to 44 percent who think things were better with the Democrats.”

My only response - "you brought it on yourselves f***wits"

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
IDS Judicial Overlord PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 09:50:59 pm »
Ignore

I suspect that lots of these people will be unhappy with whichever party is in power. Part of it is people being fundamentally unpleaseable, but a big part of it is also that both parties are utterly worthless.

morays or demon
Ghost_white
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 09:59:21 pm »
Ignore

My only response - "you brought it on yourselves f***wits"

That has got to be one of the most retarded proposals I have read on this forum.

Don't worry, I'm sure more will crop up shortly.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 12:00:27 am »
Ignore

As PiT said, both parties suck horribly and I'll add that the people that vote for them are morons.  This isn't shocking at all.

I Support The Unrestrained Warmonger
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 12:13:56 am »
Ignore

Where's the photo of Nancy Pelosi saying, "Miss me yet?" lol

But yeah I agree with the comment sentiment: You break it, you buy it. Or however it goes. Or maybe it's, You made your bed now you have to LIE in it. hahaha.

Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 12:18:14 am »
Ignore

Yawn. The reality is that Americans are very worried, and wonder if there are any antidotes realistically available that are worth much. The pre-existing bag of tricks just isn't working. What will work? We live in interesting times. The ultimate antidote of course is courage, and we await someone out there on the public square, to suffuse us a lot more of that, because right now we are running close to empty in that department.
Snowguy716
snowguy716
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -8.52

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 01:16:00 am »
Ignore

Yawn. The reality is that Americans are very worried, and wonder if there are any antidotes realistically available that are worth much. The pre-existing bag of tricks just isn't working. What will work? We live in interesting times. The ultimate antidote of course is courage, and we await someone out there on the public square, to suffuse us a lot more of that, because right now we are running close to empty in that department.
The obvious solution is more tax cuts for you and dismantling of the social safety net for middleclass/poor... erm.. I mean.. lazy people. Wink

"Above and beyond the question of how to grow the economy there is a legitimate concern about how to grow the quality of our lives."
-Paul Wellstone

Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party
morays or demon
Ghost_white
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 01:17:08 am »
Ignore

Yawn. The reality is that Americans are very worried, and wonder if there are any antidotes realistically available that are worth much.

We need to extinguish that word from our lexicon, it does not mean what most people think it does.

That has got to be one of the most retarded proposals I have read on this forum.

Don't worry, I'm sure more will crop up shortly.
Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 01:21:44 am »
Ignore

Since it's a poll about 2012, that's hardly unreasonable

n/c
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 03:35:37 am »
Ignore

Wasn't the Democratic party more popular than he Republican party on election day? The problem is that being the slightly less sucky party isn't exactly the best way to get people to vote for you. 
angus
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 1.87, S: -7.65

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 11:01:00 am »
Ignore

it's encouraging

Indeed.  Given that about 2/3 of the public will vote for one party's candidates over the others no matter how badly the candidate equivocates or makes wrong decisions, it is encouraging that there's a fickle unaffiliated group that's willing to experiment, especially when the government is so ineffective and corrupt.  And just as that same group has suffered "buyers remorse" with their election of Barrack Obama, they are now regretting their votes for new house members.  These unattached voters are perhaps our best resource for preventing entrenched, long-term, one-party rule such as existed in Egypt and Mexico until recently. 

An even better resource would be the existence of multiple competitive parties, but that isn't likely to occur spontaneously given our current framework, so let's hope that this unaffiliated group continues to be the thorn in the paws of the two beastly parties. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout