Mixed Reaction to New Latin Mass in English-speaking World
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:00:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Mixed Reaction to New Latin Mass in English-speaking World
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mixed Reaction to New Latin Mass in English-speaking World  (Read 1937 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2011, 07:49:16 PM »

For New Mass, Closer to Latin, Critics Voice a Plain Objection

By LAURIE GOODSTEIN
Published: April 11, 2011

Throughout much of the English-speaking world, the Roman Catholic Church is preparing its priests and parishes for the most significant changes to the Mass in the more than 40 years since the church permitted English in place of the Latin.

The changes are included in a new English-language translation of the Roman Missal, a translation produced after almost 30 years of labor, intrigue and infighting. The new missal, the book of texts and prayers used in the Mass, is intended to be closer to the liturgical Latin that was used for centuries than the current version. The church officials promoting it say it will bring an elevated reverence and authenticity to the Mass. Many Catholics who prefer a more traditional liturgy are eagerly anticipating the change.

But after getting a glimpse of the texts in recent months, thousands of priests in the United States, Ireland and Australia have publicly objected that the translation is awkward, archaic and inaccessible. Although most are resigned to adopting the new missal, some have mounted campaigns to prevent it from being introduced.

“What we are asking of the bishops is to scrap this text,” said the Rev. Sean McDonagh, a leader of an Irish group, the Association of Catholic Priests, which represents 450 priests — about 1 out of 10 — in that country. “I know people are not going to use it. I wouldn’t use it, because everything I know in terms of theology and anthropology and linguistics, it breaches every one of those.”

American Catholics will first encounter the new missal on Nov. 27, the first Sunday of Advent, the start of the liturgical year and the season leading up to Christmas. Even bishops and church officials in charge of preparing the way for the new language in the Mass acknowledge that it will take some adjustment — especially for priests, who will have to master complicated new speaking parts.
Elyski
elyski729
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.70, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 06:41:20 PM »

I went to my share of latin masses as a kid and learned it in school, won't affect me.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 05:38:18 PM »

Link?

Also, there are few things more beautiful than a well-orchestrated Latin Mass.  Bach's Mass in B Minor is one of my favorites.  (And Bach wrote it as a Lutheran!)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 11:03:58 PM »

What do you mean?  Did I not provide a link in the article title?  I put it there specifically to make it easy for everyone to find. 

No, a link to the text of the new Mass.  That said, I'll find it on my own.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 06:24:46 PM »

What do you mean?  Did I not provide a link in the article title?  I put it there specifically to make it easy for everyone to find. 

Oh -then why didn't you just say so?

Here is a link that might help, at least for the time being until I can find better ones.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 06:35:56 PM »

Oh -then why didn't you just say so?

Here is a link that might help, at least for the time being until I can find better ones.

It should be noted that this (the op) isnt a Latin mass. It is still in the vernacular with different wording.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 06:55:26 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2011, 06:57:10 PM by Frodo »

Found it while skimming though the Catholic Answers forum.  It's called Sancta Missa.  And another

Hope it's in the ballpark of what you're looking for.  

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 07:04:27 PM »

Found it while skimming though the Catholic Answers forum.  It's called Sancta Missa.  And another

Much thanks.  Smiley
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 07:11:08 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2011, 07:19:53 PM by patrick1 »

Found it while skimming though the Catholic Answers forum.  It's called Sancta Missa.  And another.  

The first link is what you are looking for.  The haven't read over the second thoroughly, but by glancing at it I believe they are describing the Tridentine mass which is something entirely different.

The new translations are terrible and just clunky in my opinion.  I dont really go to Mass much anymore, but this could screw up my system of following the lead of the oldest lady in church for my cues.  

Edit: The first link isnt it either.  That is the Tridentine mass as well. The standard for the liturgy is the Roman missal and what is being implemented is a new translation from the official Latin to English.  I dont think it has been published yet.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 07:24:25 PM »

Here is a basic overview of the changes that are likely to be implemented.
http://content.ocp.org/shared/pdf/general/Advent2010.pdf
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 07:35:01 PM »

Now that it has been more than a year since its (re-)introduction, how do the Catholics on this board feel about the new Latin Mass? 
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 10:53:27 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2012, 11:04:58 PM by They Move on Tracks of Never-Ending Light »

Now that it has been more than a year since its (re-)introduction, how do the Catholics on this board feel about the new Latin Mass? 

OP says it wasn't actually put into place until November 27.

But I have attended one Mass under the new translation and let's just say that I thought the church service I went to today that consisted of a 20something woman wearing a T-shirt, jeans and flip-flops having everyone crowd up around her and read from a Dr. Seuss book for part of the sermon was superior. (I know that description above is probably going to horrify TJ and realisticidealist as well as Nathan.)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 11:30:53 PM »

The changes were incredibly minor. Basically, and also with you becomes and with your spirit
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 11:54:53 AM »

I love Latin masses. Even if I can't believe, I still have to hand it to the Church for making worship a glorious event.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 03:42:57 PM »

Why not have them in both Latin and English and let the people decide on an individual basis?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 04:26:24 PM »

Why not have them in both Latin and English and let the people decide on an individual basis?

From what TJ has said, lots of churches do.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 06:04:57 PM »

The changes were incredibly minor. Basically, and also with you becomes and with your spirit

Which is ridiculous. I insist on saying it, and most other things, the old way.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 10:22:10 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2012, 10:23:53 PM by TJ in Wisco »

That is the current policy. Most people don't really notice because almost no one chooses to go to them in Latin. And another part of the reason why almost no one goes to the ones in Latin is that most people don't realize they exist.

But in most major cities there is at least one Mass in Latin every weekend. Even Madison has one (though I've never been to it).
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 10:24:45 PM »

Which is ridiculous. I insist on saying it, and most other things, the old way.

Do you realize that the "new" way is actually much closer to the actual old way that the "old" way?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies