Atlas Person of the Century: New and Revised Edition (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:26:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Atlas Person of the Century: New and Revised Edition (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlas Person of the Century: New and Revised Edition  (Read 2611 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: April 13, 2011, 01:42:14 PM »
« edited: April 13, 2011, 03:10:45 PM by The Mikado »

EDIT:  Usual caveats apply: list is biased towards politics, etc.

1st Century: Arminius/Hermann, for driving Rome out of Germania.  
2nd Century:  Hadrian.  You get the tie-in to the more-or-less final borders of the Roman Empire, the crushing of the Second Jewish Revolt and the end of large-scale Jewish presence in Palestine, and a look at Roman society at its peak.
3rd Century: Shapur I of the Sassanid Empire, for revitalizing Persia after a considerable period of decline and defeating Rome again and again, setting up the long Roman/Byzantine-Sassanid struggle that would last until the rise of Islam.
4th Century: Constantine, no question.
5th Century: If Time was around then, they'd chicken out and use something like "the Century of the Barbarian," and put Alaric, Attila, and Odoacer on the cover together.  I suppose I should give it to Attila for getting the ball rolling.
6th Century: Justinian
7th Century: Muhammad
8th Century: Harun al-Rashid
9th Century: I know very little about this period.  I...suppose? Charles the Bald, but out of lack of a better candidate.
10th Century: Abdul-Rahman III of Umayyad Spain
11th Century:  Pope Gregory VII, for reinforcing Papal authority in the Investiture Controversy and cheapening the title of Emperor, weakening the once-powerful Ottonians.
12th Century: Genghis Khan (Easiest one yet)
13th Century: St. Louis (King Louis IX of France)
14th Century:  Petrarch, symbolizing the proto-Renaissance.  Dante's a good choice, too.
15th Century: Mehmet II The Conqueror (though Ferdinand and Isabella deserve a mention)
16th Century: Could we do a dueling cover?  Martin Luther facing off with Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor?
17th Century: Louis XIV
18th Century: Washington's not a bad choice, but I think an Enlightenment figure would go well.  Adam Smith.
19th Century: Otto von Bismarck
20th Century: If only I could break this one into first half and second half.  I'd feel horrible giving it to Einstein when I didn't give Newton the honor earlier.  V. I. Lenin, I suppose.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 08:25:37 PM »

Poor Harun al-Rashid.  He's going to have to listen to bedtime stories for another three years to get over the grief.  Tongue

(Yes, I know that he wasn't the Sultan in 1001 Arabian Nights, but he does appear in the book, so close enough)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies