Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 31, 2014, 03:19:38 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government
| | |-+  Regional Governments (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | | |-+  MA: Charities Regulation Commission (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: MA: Charities Regulation Commission (Failed)  (Read 879 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2011, 10:55:16 pm »
Ignore

Charities Regulation Commission
1. The government of the Mideast, in order to protect the concessions and entitlements offered in law to charitable organsations and seeking to ensure the integrity of these entitlement does establish The Mideast Charities Regulation Commission.

2a. No organisation can be registered as a charity if it has only one member.
b. No organisation can be registered as a charity if it supports any ideals or espouses any view that conflicts with the Constitution of the Mideast Region or the Constitution of Atlasia.
c. No church or religious congregation can be registered as charity.

3a. i. Any charity under investigation by regional or federal investigation will have it's charitable status suspended pending the outcome of the investigation.
ii. If found to be in violation of the law any such charity will have it's status revoked.

b. All charities will be required to be re-assesed by the Commission every four years.
Sponsor: Afleitch
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 10:25:43 pm by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »Logged
A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 1.13

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 11:15:28 pm »
Ignore

I'm just telling you now I won't sign the bill with 2c in there. But I'm pretty sure that comes as no surprise to you. However I am not at all opposed to the bill having text stating that no charity that is also a religious organization or anything close, can deny it's services to someone of another religion (though there is nothing wrong with having a particular group to focus on with the same religion)

RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
YaBB God
Czech Republic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 02:15:27 am »
Ignore

Strongly oppose. Unless 2c is removed, I encourage the Governor to veto.

Clearly the solution is to privatize presidential elections.

So, in less than four years, get excited for the 2016 MetLife Financial U Pick The Prez Extravaganza. If you tweet a picture of your completed ballot with the hashtag #ivoted, you could win a trip for two to the inauguration or an iTunes gift card.
afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 06:19:34 pm »
Ignore

Can you justify why the state should recognise churche's as charities?

Swedish Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 07:11:21 pm »
Ignore

I think it's pretty simple. If  a churches do charity work they're a charity, if they don't do charity work they're not a charity.

I see no reason why a church that puts up soup kitchen to feed the homeless, should be treated any differently than another organisation that does the same, while churches that don't have any charity programs shouldn't be treated as charities.

A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 07:27:12 pm »
Ignore

Can you justify why the state should recognise churche's as charities?

See SC's answer. And there have been success reform programs that bring faith into the picture and have better results. Look at what W did in Texas for prisoners. Good can come out of it. If you don't believe in a God, that's fine with me, but faith can help and propell those who need help in their life. We shouldn't deny them this.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 07:29:20 pm »
Ignore

Perhaps a definition of "charity" is in order, instead of just saying who's not a charity.
afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 06:24:06 am »
Ignore

I think it's pretty simple. If  a churches do charity work they're a charity, if they don't do charity work they're not a charity.

I see no reason why a church that puts up soup kitchen to feed the homeless, should be treated any differently than another organisation that does the same, while churches that don't have any charity programs shouldn't be treated as charities.

I don't disagree, but what should be treated as a charity; the church body itself or a seperate 'arm' of the church that does charitable things? Note that the bill states that a 'congregation' cannot be considered a charity. There is nothing to stop a St John's Catholic Church setting up a small volunteer charity affiliated with that runs a soup kitchen...but the Church itself cannot be a charity. It's for auditing and accountancy purposes.

Reading the bill would help guys Smiley

Perhaps a definition of "charity" is in order, instead of just saying who's not a charity.

That can be arranged.

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 12:26:22 am »
Ignore

what is the intention behind 2b?

afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 11:29:39 am »
Ignore

Very straightforward; you cannot be a registered charity if you espouse ideals contrary to the constitution.

A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 11:38:26 am »
Ignore

Very straightforward; you cannot be a registered charity if you espouse ideals contrary to the constitution.

Isn't it dangerous to say "support" though? I mean I don't have a problem with the charity as long as they obey the constitution, but if they voice their displeasure with it with their freedom of speech, I don't see a problem with that.

afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 05:30:07 pm »
Ignore

Isn't it dangerous to say "support" though? I mean I don't have a problem with the charity as long as they obey the constitution, but if they voice their displeasure with it with their freedom of speech, I don't see a problem with that.

But the issue is over charitable status (and associated perks) It should not be in the government's interest to give tax breaks to organisations supporting unconstitutional measures.

A-Bob
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 09:33:01 pm »
Ignore

But the issue is over charitable status (and associated perks) It should not be in the government's interest to give tax breaks to organisations supporting unconstitutional measures.

To be clear though, you're saying if someone from the potential charity states their disagreement with our constitution, they would exempt them from getting benefits to help them provide for others and turn around lives?

afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 03:51:49 pm »
Ignore

To be clear though, you're saying if someone from the potential charity states their disagreement with our constitution, they would exempt them from getting benefits to help them provide for others and turn around lives?

Yes. I really am scratching my head here; do you think we should give benefits to charities that oppose the constitution? Say (Godwin's law/Seinfeld reference here) the local Nazi Group that believes in racial supremacy and the ending of democracy runs a soup kitchen; should we be able to give it regional funds to do so and recognise it as a charity?

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 06:26:58 pm »
Ignore

Afleitch, did you have an idea of what you wanted to define a charity as?
#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 06:36:04 pm »
Ignore

Would there be any cost of running the comission or anything like that?

Badger
badger
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 11:09:26 am »
Ignore

What is the imputus behind this bill anyway? Why on earth do we need this, Inks? Has something in RL inspired this?

Your self-serving slacktivism is propelling America to new heights.
afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 06:47:58 am »
Ignore

I'm withdrawing this bill. I feel I have done my best to explain precisely why certain provisions were included in the bill but the support is clearly not there; charities shall remain unregulated! Huzzah!

I'm off to set one up and siphon the funds Wink

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 10:25:29 pm »
Ignore

I'm withdrawing this bill. I feel I have done my best to explain precisely why certain provisions were included in the bill but the support is clearly not there; charities shall remain unregulated! Huzzah!

I'm off to set one up and siphon the funds Wink

For the record, I'm not against it, but if it's your wish, so be it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout