Single Six Year Terms
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:50:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Single Six Year Terms
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Single Six Year Terms  (Read 1624 times)
Mikestone8
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2011, 02:25:55 AM »

WI President-elect Wilson had not blocked the proposed Amendment limiting Presidents to a single term, while extending this to six years? Might the next few Presidents have been something likel this?

1913-19 Woodrow Wilson  (D)
1919-23 Warren G Harding (R) defeating William G McAdoo (D) in 1918
1923-25 Frank B Kellogg (R) SoS on death of Harding (VP Philander Knox died in 1921)
1925-31 Herbert Hoover (R) defeating James M Cox (D) in 1924
1931-37 Alfred E Smith (D) defeating Charles Curtis (R) in 1930
1937-43 Franklin D Roosevelt (D) defeating Alfred M Landon (R) in 1936

Does this sound credible? If so, any thoughts how it might go on? I'm assuming that the Depression and WW2 have both still happened much as we remeber.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 03:18:43 PM »

Sounds cool, but given how contentious certain conventions were, I'm not sure if people such as Cox and Smith would've had similar rises to the nomination at the same time. I'd actually like to see a timeline of either this, or your original scenario where Champ Clark wins.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:47:52 PM »

WI President-elect Wilson had not blocked the proposed Amendment limiting Presidents to a single term, while extending this to six years? Might the next few Presidents have been something likel this?

1913-19 Woodrow Wilson  (D)
1919-23 Warren G Harding (R) defeating William G McAdoo (D) in 1918
1923-25 Frank B Kellogg (R) SoS on death of Harding (VP Philander Knox died in 1921)
1925-31 Herbert Hoover (R) defeating James M Cox (D) in 1924
1931-37 Alfred E Smith (D) defeating Charles Curtis (R) in 1930
1937-43 Franklin D Roosevelt (D) defeating Alfred M Landon (R) in 1936

Does this sound credible? If so, any thoughts how it might go on? I'm assuming that the Depression and WW2 have both still happened much as we remeber.

Frank B. Kellogg is in control here.

I believe the President you are looking for is Frederick Gillett.
Mikestone8
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 02:03:55 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2011, 02:43:33 AM by Mikestone8 »

Sounds cool, but given how contentious certain conventions were, I'm not sure if people such as Cox and Smith would've had similar rises to the nomination at the same time. I'd actually like to see a timeline of either this, or your original scenario where Champ Clark wins.

Taking the second point first, there is more than one way, but a simple one is for WJ Bryan to fall downstairs and suffer a bad concussion on his way to the Convention Hall on the crucial day. As a result, he is not present when NY swings its vote to Clark on the 10th ballot, givng him a majority of the delegates. Without Bryan's intervention, other delegations start climbing onto the Clark bandwagon, the Wilson people recognise that things are now hopeless, and Wilson withdraws in Clark's favour. The 16th ballot is a formality.

The election campaign proper is much the same as OTL. The only change is that Clark, who beat Wilson nearly three to one in the California Primary, does a shade better in that state than Wilson did, so that its electoral vote goes to him instead of to TR. The final tally is Clark 446, TR 77, Taft 8.

But that's another TL.
Mikestone8
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 02:18:21 AM »
« Edited: April 15, 2011, 12:08:08 PM by Mikestone8 »

Sounds cool, but given how contentious certain conventions were, I'm not sure if people such as Cox and Smith would've had similar rises to the nomination at the same time.

Well, it wasn't quite the same time, but Cox was Governor of Ohio from 1916, so he's in the game before the PoD.

Smith is more problematic, but only slightly. OTL, he was first elected Gov of NY in 1918, defeated two years later in the Harding landslide, but returned again in 1922. The big question is whether a Republican win in 1918 means that he doesn't become Governor in the first place, but I suspect that with the war still on, Harding's 1918 win is nothing like as massive as his OTL one of 1920, so that Smith can still prevail in the Governor's race.

If McAdoo gets the 1918 nomination, Cox is still "available" in 1924, and might be nominated then instead of Davis, assuming the party still isn't quite ready for a Catholic nominee. Smith, presumably, continues in the Governor's Mansion, and gets his chance in 1930 instead of1928. It's not inevitable that FDR follows him as Gov, but it's perfectly possible.

Actually, looking back over it, my biggest doubt is Harding in 1918. With the war still in progress, the Republicans might be more inclined to choose General Wood. But you never know.

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 05:26:26 PM »

Why wouldn't Harding run with Calvin Coolidge in this scenario?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 12:18:55 PM »

In 1918, Coolidge was running for election to the Massachusetts Governorship, so...
Mikestone8
Rookie
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 02:03:48 PM »

The Boston Police strike which brought him to prominence hadn't happened yet.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies