Double digit percentages for white, black, Hispanic and Asian populations (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:40:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Double digit percentages for white, black, Hispanic and Asian populations (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Double digit percentages for white, black, Hispanic and Asian populations  (Read 3002 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: April 17, 2011, 05:57:32 PM »
« edited: April 17, 2011, 06:13:43 PM by Verily »

Jersey City easily wins the "most diverse city" contest. Even Oakland isn't close.

Boston, maybe? Not sure if it makes 10% Asian, but it might--lots of colleges and a substantial Chinatown. Edit: No, 8.9% Asian in Boston. Close. I'm sure there is a precinct that meets the criteria, though; I was just looking for a city as a whole. Edit2: Found at least four precincts in Boston meeting the criteria, two in the South End and two in Jamaica Plain. The two in the South End are very diverse, only one of the races below 20% (blacks in one, Asians in the other).

Edit3: And found five more in Dorchester in Boston. So at least nine precincts in Boston that meet the criteria, including the UMass-Boston precinct. There is also one in Cambridge, MA and at least five in Malden, MA.

Another possibility is New Brunswick, NJ. Don't have the 2010 Census data; it was only 6% Asian in 2000, but the Asian population has been exploding around there.

Edit4: Yup, at least five in New Brunswick, and two more across the river in Highland Park, NJ, as well as two at least in Franklin Twp, NJ in Somerset County. And a bunch in Edison, Piscataway, etc. it looks like.

There are also two in my hometown of Englewood, NJ.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 12:55:34 PM »

Oh, if we're going by census tracks rather than precincts, then here's one I found a while back:

Tract 1, South Richmond Hill, Queens:

25% Asian
24% Hispanic
15% Black
12% Multiracial
11% White
11% Other
2% Native American

Literally right across the street from where my grandparents use to live (and where my mom grew up)

Is that near Jackson Heights? JH has great diversity. Also where my grandparents use to live (and where my mom grew up)

Not close to Jackson Heights, no. South Richmond Hill is in southern Queens, just northwest of JFK Airport.

And I don't know if JH really qualifies as "diverse" any more, being only South Asian and Hispanic now (white population is mostly gone, never had much of a black population to my knowledge, and East Asians have mostly moved to Flushing).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies