It is mathematically impossible to balance the budget on the backs of the rich. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:58:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  It is mathematically impossible to balance the budget on the backs of the rich. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: It is mathematically impossible to balance the budget on the backs of the rich.  (Read 2170 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« on: April 18, 2011, 12:27:44 PM »

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704621304576267113524583554.html

Emphasis mine.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 01:07:03 PM »

http://iowahawk.typepad.com/iowahawk/2011/03/feed-your-family-on-10-billion-a-day.html
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 02:16:07 PM »

It's mathematically impossible to balance the budget without increasing revenue, which means tax increases for the top income bracket. Spending cuts alone aren't enough. Before invoking math, you need to know how it works.

Of course it's possible, and with substantial tax cuts, too.

THE WORMYGUY BUDGET PLAN:

1. Cut all spending 100%
2. Cut all taxes 100%
3. Sell all government assets.

Voila, largest surplus in history.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 02:57:48 PM »

1. Cut all spending 100%
2. Cut all taxes 100%

Actually, there would no surplus, because there would be no budget at all with 100% tax cuts and selling all government assets wouldn't cover all the bills that must be covered.

If we did that we'd probably still owe debt interest.

Well, I'm sure that government liabilities now exceed assets, thanks to multifarious retards over the years, so obviously the people who were dumb enough to purchase IOUs on fancy pieces of paper from the federal government would have to take something of a haircut.  Of course, that's the best they'd ever get in the end, and they kinda had it coming to them.  Nevertheless, whatever the case, it would be a one-year surplus, with no deficits coming thereafter.

By the way, Nappy, who is this "we" you speak of?

1. Cut all spending 100%
2. Cut all taxes 100%

Hello.  Welcome to Planet Earth...I trust this is your first visit here.

Yep, just arrived in my starship from the Anarchy Nebula.  As you can see, we've reached a somewhat higher plane of civilization than you have.  Pleased to meet you!
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 03:19:40 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2011, 03:21:42 PM by Say no to fascism, impeach Obama. »

Well we do have to raise revenue, unless you're fine with this country being turning into some kind of neo-feudal/Latin American nightmare.

Well actually, that's a pretty good description of what the Democratic Party intends to turn this country into (or that they already have, to take a more cynical tack), a "neo-feudal Latin American nightmare."  I'll have to remember that one!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Actually, the abolition of the US tyranny, which is run almost entirely for the benefit of (some) wealthy individuals, would be one of the worst things for them in their entire history, what with the abolition of regressive wealth redistribution through monetary policy, bailouts, subsidies, anti-competitive regulation, and all other forms of corporate welfare, as well as the reintroduction of social mobility via the abolition of state-supported higher education workforce-entry monopolies and the end of the war on poors [drugs].

Is Nappy supposed to be an insult? We means we as Americans. The people stuck footing the bill. I know I'm part of it and assumed you were too.

Only if you want it to be.  Nobody ever asked me if I would like to be "stuck footing the bill," and I neither feel like being nor intend to be (if at all possible) one of those people.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies