Why is Obama sinking like a rock?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:00:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Why is Obama sinking like a rock?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Why is Obama sinking like a rock?  (Read 6412 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 02:19:40 PM »

gas prices is likely main reason

most of the other stuff talked about here is inside beltway stuff.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2011, 02:23:47 PM »

The best explanation I've seen for the last few weeks is the big jump in gas prices.

I always find this "debate" particularly amusing.

What? That people always blame those in power for higher gas prices? It happened with Bush. And every other President before him who experienced a bad economy.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2011, 07:23:17 PM »

Still sinking...
Obama has a negative approval in 7 of the last 7 national approval polls, which average to a net -4.7% approval, 1% lower than yesterday.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_obama_job_approval-1044.html

Although he has now dropped almost 8 percentage points in a month, but I suspect his bottom of support will be around 40%, given his base of support in minority communities and leftist enclaves.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2011, 08:01:44 PM »

I'm not convinced that he is "sinking like a rock."  His core support numbers have eroded, but the rest are not at the extremes of past numbers.

It might be more that Obama has found it is impractical or impossible to do what he's promised, and he's lost support for it.  In other words, the hope was hype.

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head.

Obama's approval numbers reflect what we already know - there is a big chunk - 40-44% who will never vote for him.

But his real losses, approval-wise have been from minorities and liberals, who are disappointed - but it's not like the GOP will nominate someone who will win those people over - more likely they'll nominate someone who will send those people running back to Obama.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2011, 08:32:33 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2011, 08:35:33 PM by phk »

The opposition to Obama is hardening their once dormant preferences.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2011, 09:44:26 PM »

Young people, and minorities will not be anywhere near the numbers they were in 2008. If anything, conservatives will be the more motivated to vote next year, and Obama's poor numbers among whites are only likely to be stronger than in 2008.

My guess is a very close result, either a narrow Republican victory or a narrow Obama re-election. Something like this give or take a state or two:

t_host1

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2011, 09:53:43 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2011, 09:31:07 AM by t_host1 »

I'm not convinced that he is "sinking like a rock."  His core support numbers have eroded, but the rest are not at the extremes of past numbers.

It might be more that Obama has found it is impractical or impossible to do what he's promised, and he's lost support for it.  In other words, the hope was hype.

I think you've probably hit the nail on the head.

Obama's approval numbers reflect what we already know - there is a big chunk - 40-44% who will never vote for him.

But his real losses, approval-wise have been from minorities and liberals, who are disappointed - but it's not like the GOP will nominate someone who will win those people over - more likely they'll nominate someone who will send those people running back to Obama.

...who will tell everyone that they are the ones responsible for their actions, needs and wants and, that this GOP President will protect the ability for all to do so, if they choose to.

Of coarse that will be viewed as just another SOB who must be a racist, for sure. Now, if it’s a GOP girl, she’s definitely defiantly an idiot.  defiantly - being a GOP gal with testicle's, which most seem to be in possession of -

Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2011, 10:05:02 PM »

Everyone seems to be dropping. Notice that Rasmussen has his worst numbers for the GOP in his generic ballot poll in over a year, and the GOP seems to be cratering at the state level.

Things are out of control, the Republicans have proposed extremely unpopular solutions, and Obama has proposed no solutions. Obama is tanking because he has shown no leadership, and when the entire world(Libya, Gas) is going out of control thats bad for the incumbent.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2011, 12:46:56 AM »

Young people, and minorities will not be anywhere near the numbers they were in 2008. If anything, conservatives will be the more motivated to vote next year, and Obama's poor numbers among whites are only likely to be stronger than in 2008.

My guess is a very close result, either a narrow Republican victory or a narrow Obama re-election. Something like this give or take a state or two:

Pennsylvania more GOP than North Carolina is insane. NC was the closest Obama state in 2008 and only swung his way because Barr played spoiler.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2011, 02:03:35 AM »

Everyone seems to be dropping. Notice that Rasmussen has his worst numbers for the GOP in his generic ballot poll in over a year, and the GOP seems to be cratering at the state level.

Things are out of control, the Republicans have proposed extremely unpopular solutions, and Obama has proposed no solutions. Obama is tanking because he has shown no leadership, and when the entire world(Libya, Gas) is going out of control thats bad for the incumbent.

Yeah, the public seems to be in a foul mood, and that's not exactly an exclusive American phenomenon. Just look how unpopular are Sarkozy, Merkel, Cameron, Berlusconi, Zapatero, etc.
The entire world seems to be in turmoil. 
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2011, 01:08:23 PM »

People are simultaneously reading too much and too little into it. Too much because they are inferring all kinds of things about the long-term trends of US partisan politics. Too little, because something is happening around the world, and it is affecting every incumbent government whether left or right. Heck, change even looks like its coming to Quebec where the Bloc may finally collapse.

Yeah, the public seems to be in a foul mood, and that's not exactly an exclusive American phenomenon. Just look how unpopular are Sarkozy, Merkel, Cameron, Berlusconi, Zapatero, etc.
The entire world seems to be in turmoil. 
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2011, 09:08:03 PM »

A possible Republican victory.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2011, 05:07:24 AM »

Nestled underneath GOP wank scenarios is probably the real reason:

It's because gas prices are high.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2011, 09:21:55 AM »

The opposition to Obama is hardening their once dormant preferences.

I don't agree on that point; his strongly disapprove numbers on Rasmussen are not at their highs.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2011, 09:32:43 AM »

When staunch Dems, like many on this site, vote "strongly dissaprove" in our lil informal polls here, is it any wonder that so many others feel the same way?
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2011, 09:38:56 AM »

In a close election, if Obama wins every red state on this map he wins 266 e votes.
Obviously we can see that the three yellow states will be critical.

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2011, 09:40:51 AM »

Nestled underneath GOP wank scenarios is probably the real reason:

It's because gas prices are high.

I'm sure that's a critical part of it.  Interesting to see what the polls say in the summer if gas hits $5/gallon.  Well, interesting data results, not so interesting prices at the pump Sad
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2011, 09:56:55 AM »

First, I don't that viscerally opposed chunk isn't quite that big.

Second, I think there is another factor, minorities and liberals could just decide to stay home.  1980 and 1992 were good examples.

1976:  Republican share of the popular vote:  48.02%
1980:  Republican share of the popular vote:  50.75%
Difference:  2.73%  Swing:  +1.365

1988:  Democratic share of the popular vote:  45.65%
1992:  Democratic share of the popular vote:  43.01%
Difference:  -2.64  Swing: -1.320

Now, there were 3rd party candidates in each, but it was more of the electorate saying, "We're not voting for the guy we elected the last time."  Had there not been a third party candidate, many might not have showed up.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2011, 10:20:49 AM »

In a close election, if Obama wins every red state on this map he wins 266 e votes.

I thing I would make IA and VA yellow.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2011, 10:24:30 AM »

I thing I would make IA and VA yellow.

What he's saying is that Dems can win everything in red and the Republicans still win if they win all 3 yellow states.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2011, 10:45:28 AM »

Pennsylvania more GOP than North Carolina is insane. NC was the closest Obama state in 2008 and only swung his way because Barr played spoiler.

Agreed.
I mean I was skeptical of Virginia staying Democratic while Pennsylvania doesn't a little off the grid, but North Carolina staying Democratic (while Pennsylvania and Virginia flip)?  No way.  If there are two states that would likely go back to the Republicans it's Indiana and North Carolina.
PulaskiSkywayDriver
Rookie

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2011, 12:39:48 PM »

I dont think NJ is a lock for Obama either though his numbers are slightly above thew national average. I'd say its a lean at this point.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2011, 06:19:52 PM »

Gas prices are a biggie. If he can get gas below $2.00, I've already pledged to vote for him. Though I doubt that happens. Tongue

Obama's very lucky the GOP field isn't too strong. The only great candidate in this field is certainly Mitt Romney, but he'll have a tough time with the Tea Party.

Maybe Obama should take his $1 billion that he will get from his fellow fat cats and use it to give away free gas nationwide the day before election day.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2011, 10:10:02 PM »

I dont think NJ is a lock for Obama either though his numbers are slightly above thew national average. I'd say its a lean at this point.

Romney might have a slim chance in the state, but it's safe against anyone else.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2011, 07:21:09 AM »

It is because of Trump.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies