Should the voting age be lowered to 16?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:40:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should the voting age be lowered to 16?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 101

Author Topic: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?  (Read 38780 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2004, 12:12:09 AM »

What? Sales tax? We don't need stupid kids voting for big government when they aren't even living on their own yet.

Plenty of stupid and ignorant adults.

Again, while there are a slightly higher percenteage of ignorant teenagers, it's not significant when you take into account that only the non-ignorant elite few will actually take the time to vote.  Hell, it might even ever-so-slightly decrease the ignorance of the voting public depending on turnout.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2004, 12:16:22 AM »

No matter how much they know, they have no business voting. They are not independent under the law.

I have to disagree, though, that only people who know what they're talking about will vote. Just about everyone I know, if able to vote, would, just for the social value.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2004, 12:27:03 AM »

No matter how much they know, they have no business voting. They are not independent under the law.

I have to disagree, though, that only people who know what they're talking about will vote. Just about everyone I know, if able to vote, would, just for the social value.

Unlikely and empirically proven not to be true.  What, you think 16 year olds are more activist than 18 year olds, and more likely to take the time to register?

If you want to take the legal approach, fine, but I disagree with the argument that suddenly a bunch of stupid people will  be voting.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2004, 12:49:12 AM »

No. Keep the voting age at 18. Whenever I tell my friends this after they ask "Would you support lowering the voting age?" they almost go into shock. They all know I can't wait to vote and am very involved in politics but it's surprising to most when I state my opinion on this matter.

My reasons: Pretty much the same as PBrunsel's. Also the fact that most my age don't care at all and turnout would be very low that going through the process of lowering the age by two years would be a complete waste.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2004, 04:08:26 AM »

Oh and besides Phil, this applies to you too. Except that you believe everyone must own 1/5 acre of land to vote or something.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2004, 05:06:08 AM »

My key reason is that when I look at the people around me, who are all or mostly 17 I think "omg, in one year we're all adults and allowed to vote!" and even though I think I cna handle that Wink I don't think the majority of 18-year olds do.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2004, 05:24:45 AM »

No. Leave it at 18. Whatever age it is to join the military is the age it should be - Congress determines who we go to war with, and if you are a potential part of the fighting force you should have a say in who you might be fighting. If the military age is lowered to 16, that should be the age, if it is raised to 21, that should be the age.

In the UK the military age is 16 and I support lowering the voting age.

An individual can have sex, get a job and serve their country at 16 but not vote, it is ridiculous.

16 year old girls are legal in the UK?

Um, not to sound perverted or anything.  Just curious.

Yup, 16 = age of consent for sex.

Reasonable, but its better yet in Canada - 14.  It always seems to odd to me that our northern neighbor is so enlightened even though it shares a continent with us.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2004, 12:32:35 AM »

No. Leave it at 18. Whatever age it is to join the military is the age it should be - Congress determines who we go to war with, and if you are a potential part of the fighting force you should have a say in who you might be fighting. If the military age is lowered to 16, that should be the age, if it is raised to 21, that should be the age.

In the UK the military age is 16 and I support lowering the voting age.

An individual can have sex, get a job and serve their country at 16 but not vote, it is ridiculous.

16 year old girls are legal in the UK?

Um, not to sound perverted or anything.  Just curious.

Yup, 16 = age of consent for sex.

16 is the age of consent in PA.

And no, there are barely enough 18 years olds out there that are competent enough to convince me that lowering it was a good idea in the first place.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2004, 02:54:09 PM »

I shudder at the thought of most teenagers I know being able to vote. NO.
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2004, 06:48:10 PM »

Sure.

I REALLY wanted to vote this election!
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2004, 07:01:10 PM »

Sure.

I REALLY wanted to vote this election!

You may be intelligent enough to vote, but a majority of those your age are not. I know people who when asked would say that they would vote for Howard Dean because George Bush has already served two terms (88-92)(00-04) and that Bush is wrong to try for a third because serving three terms is unconstitutional because it violates the declaration of independence. Kids are dumb. I am 17 and I would love to have voted in that election, just as much as you wanted to vote in that election, but I'm sorry, people our age should not be allowed to vote.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2004, 07:03:58 PM »

Men and women are dying for the United States, and no one's going to convince me that a bunch of 16 year olds should pick their commander in chief because, "I really wanted to vote in this election."
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2004, 09:26:17 AM »

The vast majority of 16 year olds, or 14 year olds even, are politically better informed than your average 75year old. That's just a fact.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2004, 09:31:11 AM »

The vast majority of 16 year olds, or 14 year olds even, are politically better informed than your average 75year old. That's just a fact.

Very true.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2004, 12:56:23 PM »

Been to high school lately? I was there just a couple years ago. I think you're wrong. In reality, both are probably ignorant. The 75 year old will generally only care about issues pertaining to senior citizens, and therefore be informed on them, but the teenager generally just doesn't care.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2004, 01:07:14 PM »

Most elderly people know very well which party they like, but know next to nothing about the issues of the day. (The idea that the elderly are better informed about, say, Social Security, is just absurd - they might worry more about it, but that's about it) It's all so confusing - all those new names and ideas that weren't around even when your kids moved out - and, with cognitive powers diminishing ever further, basically people just give up.
It's modern medicine's fault really - the human brain just isn't suited very well to a life of 80 years and more.
Now, do I advocate that seniors should be stripped off their voting rights? No, by no means. I'm just saying that "they don't know much about it" is NOT an acceptable argument for withholding voting rights.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2004, 01:09:54 PM »

Been to high school lately? I was there just a couple years ago. I think you're wrong. In reality, both are probably ignorant. The 75 year old will generally only care about issues pertaining to senior citizens, and therefore be informed on them, but the teenager generally just doesn't care.

I have to say that some teens are more informed than some people in their 70s, not all. I'm in high school. Do you know how many times I'm asked "Why do you care who gets elected?" You know how often I have to bite my tongue when a friend says "I could care less about who wins the Presidential election" and goes about telling me other ridiculous stuff? How often I have to hear why an idiotic TV show is important but voting...oh who cares about that? But like I said not all teenagers are like this. There are just too many of them that it's not worth the effort to get 16 year olds to vote.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2004, 01:12:48 PM »

I have to say that some teens are more informed than some people in their 70s, not all. I'm in high school. Do you know how many times I'm asked "Why do you care who gets elected?" You know how often I have to bite my tongue when a friend says "I could care less about who wins the Presidential election" and goes about telling me other ridiculous stuff? How often I have to hear why an idiotic TV show is important but voting...oh who cares about that? But like I said not all teenagers are like this. There are just too many of them that it's not worth the effort to get 16 year olds to vote.
Yeah, I didn't mean "all".
But: It's not worth the effort? You mean the effort of a big registration and GOTV drive? Or the effort of changing the Constitution to make it possible for them to vote?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2004, 01:20:51 PM »

Yeah, I didn't mean "all".
But: It's not worth the effort? You mean the effort of a big registration and GOTV drive? Or the effort of changing the Constitution to make it possible for them to vote?

Unfortunatley, it's not worth the effort. This coming from someone who would have no problem voting right now. It's just that there's not enough interest with people my age.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2004, 05:42:27 PM »

How many of these ignorant high schoolers you guys are talking about would actually register to vote?

Is it really any different to have youngsters making rather uninformed decisions than it is to have older people vote exactly how their church tells them to? Is one worse than the other?

danwxman

« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2004, 05:53:49 PM »

I guess I would support this. The 17 and 18 year olds who have an interest in voting, will vote. It might be a good way to attract younger people to vote while they are still in high school and under the influence of the government.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2004, 06:00:05 PM »

It should be raised to 24.
danwxman

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2004, 06:05:12 PM »

haha. you know you want to vote.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2004, 06:08:02 PM »

How many of these ignorant high schoolers you guys are talking about would actually register to vote?

That's exactly the point. Not many would register and it would be a waste of time to lower the age for voting.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

People vote the way the church feels because they have the same feelings. I'm really tired of your complaining about how church's suggest that their congregation vote for the beliefs that they hold. And

I know you're trying to make a point about how the Catholic church suggests that voters vote for Pro Life candidates (who are usually Republican) so answer me this: Is it ok when mostly Democratic candidates go into Protestant, inner-city churchs and ask for votes? What about the seperation of church and state? Why aren't the liberals that complain about God being in the Pledge of Allegiance taking on that issue? Which is worse: Protestant churches having candidates speak from the pulpit asking for votes or the Catholic church suggesting that voters vote in accordance to what the church teaches?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2004, 06:16:00 PM »

That's exactly the point. Not many would register and it would be a waste of time to lower the age for voting.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

People vote the way the church feels because they have the same feelings. I'm really tired of your complaining about how church's suggest that their congregation vote for the beliefs that they hold. And

I know you're trying to make a point about how the Catholic church suggests that voters vote for Pro Life candidates (who are usually Republican) so answer me this: Is it ok when mostly Democratic candidates go into Protestant, inner-city churchs and ask for votes? What about the seperation of church and state? Why aren't the liberals that complain about God being in the Pledge of Allegiance taking on that issue? Which is worse: Protestant churches having candidates speak from the pulpit asking for votes or the Catholic church suggesting that voters vote in accordance to what the church teaches?

I didn't like it when John Kerry went into the African American church and talked one Sunday near the election. I think it is a bad thing about our culture when people will vote, either way, based on what their church wants.

About your first point, there are enough people who do care. Let's say that in each class for each school there are 25 kids who would vote. When you add up all the high schools in the country, that's a lot of potential voters.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies