Johnson running
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:03:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Johnson running
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Johnson running  (Read 1889 times)
jbgator
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2011, 07:00:52 AM »

Surprised this didn't make the board yet...

http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/

feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 07:03:03 AM »

It did make the board, when he announced a month or so ago that he would be announcing his candidacy on April 21st.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 07:20:20 AM »

Johnson's supposed to announce his candidacy in less than an hour (9am in NH).  I just tried accessing garyjohnson2012.com about 45 minutes ago to see if he had a website yet, and it asked for a password in order to get in.  Looks like they've opened it up now.

I wonder if any of the cable networks will carry any of his announcement.  Will they even mention it in passing?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 07:25:44 AM »

I guess they could call him the "amnesty, abortion and acid" candidate...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 08:10:59 AM »

Here's a pic I just found off twitter, presumably a shot of the place he's giving the announcement:

link
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:27:40 AM »

OK, I just searched twitter and Google News to see if I could find any actual coverage of his announcement, but nothing really from the news orgs to be found at the moment.  But there is this tweet:

http://twitter.com/#!/GovGaryJohnson/status/61053789259567104

which I guess confirms that he's running (if you needed confirmation beyond the "Gary Johnson 2012" website).
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 08:47:33 AM »

I got into the site at 8AM without having to supply a password.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 09:20:36 AM »

I got into the site at 8AM without having to supply a password.

Well, I'm in Australia, so maybe he just doesn't trust foreigners.

But no, I actually tried at about 7:30am US Eastern time, and couldn't get in at that time.  Maybe they opened it up between 7:30 and 8.
jbgator
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 09:32:25 AM »

All the music on the video on the main page of his site is from V for Vendetta...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 09:50:44 AM »

Who?

(That's what most of America is going to ask)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 11:55:15 AM »

Who?

(That's what most of America is going to ask)

You're quite correct. He's pretty awesome in my book, but I cannot see him having much of an impact on the race, especially with Ron Paul also running.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 01:42:27 PM »

Why is both he and Paul running? Won't they just split the vote amongst their base?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 01:48:29 PM »

After Dr. Paul, he's my number one candidate.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 03:09:52 PM »

Why is both he and Paul running? Won't they just split the vote amongst their base?
No-Sadly, Johnson wont break 10%. Paul is likely to at least come in third in most states.
All the music on the video on the main page of his site is from V for Vendetta...

My favorite movie, my second (or third) favorite canidadate. All in all, thats pretty dang cool.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 03:30:14 PM »

It IS conceivable that they could both run at first to back each other in the debates and rile up supporters the other couldn't get (Johnson's pro-choice stance and focus on drugs would be useful for him), and then whoever is pollling worse would pull out and back the other. Plus, if they were both debating they could make their views look way stronger (remember how basically every debate in '08 treated Ron Paul as the weirdo? Won't fly in 2012).

Or they could just sap each others votes.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 03:32:37 PM »

Why won't Ron Paul just not run. Does anyone else think it's a little selfish...I mean I obv prefer Obama over Johnson as I'm a Dem, but like, I don't know I also believe that politics is knowing when to step aside...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 03:33:33 PM »

It IS conceivable that they could both run at first to back each other in the debates and rile up supporters the other couldn't get (Johnson's pro-choice stance and focus on drugs would be useful for him), and then whoever is pollling worse would pull out and back the other. Plus, if they were both debating they could make their views look way stronger (remember how basically every debate in '08 treated Ron Paul as the weirdo? Won't fly in 2012).

But honestly, MBD, that's not many votes to sap.
jbgator
Rookie
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 04:31:21 PM »

Johnson has serious charisma issues.  "I think" "I really believe" "I'd like to think" and just a general seeming lack of confidence up at the podium.  He needs to act like the commander-in-chief.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 11:42:47 PM »

are there any good balanced summaries out there of his time as Governor or his foreign policy views?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 10:07:56 AM »

I liked his video, show his "youth" up until where he's running. He runs as if he is struggling too much. That made him look a bit older but the swimming and biking were good. The music isn't bad either.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 02:20:14 PM »

But honestly, MBD, that's not many votes to sap.

Depends. Assuming they can max out at 15% of the vote overall and the field is crowded, one on his own could conceivably snatch up a narrow victory by taking a couple of favourable states (eg. winning Nevada, placing well in Iowa/New Hampshire, winning chunks of the midwest/New Mexico/Oregon, etc). If that was a possibility, then vote-sapping would actually matter (assuming only one of them ran, the other would be basically guaranteed most of the support of the libertarian block).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Because Ron Paul has certain advantages over Johnson. He has some degree of celebrity status, so if he decides try he will hit the ground running, whereas Johnson will have to start from ground up. Furthermore, Ron Paul comes off as far more charismatic than Gary Johnson (who, to me at least, often sounds like he doesn't really believe in what he is saying). Also, he has a very strong grassroots network, whereas Gary Johnson has far less of that and isn't the kind of guy to motivate it to become strong (can you really imagine the Gary Johnson 2012 campaign raising millions with moneybombs?).

On the flip side, Gary Johnson has less of a way of alienating people, so he might be able to broaden his appeal. But then, I don't see how he could survive the primary when his big issue is the drug war and his pro-choice views are pretty strong too. He would get decimated in many of the major primaries, and would have to be up against a field of theocratic loons to attract enough support from other directions to overcome that. Again on the flip side, however, his stances would let him snatch up a chunk of Obama's base, meaning he could probably beat Obama easier than many other Republicans could.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 10:42:30 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2011, 12:04:11 AM by generic »

Realistically, I think he's just getting his name out there nationally. It may not be a lot of exposure, but somebody will have to succeed Ron Paul eventually as the standard barer for the Republican libertarians. Maybe it will be Rand, or if Johnson can become more well know than it could be him. Running for president is the best possible way for him to get that exposure. I don't see this as a direct challenge to Paul as much as it is a chance to get his name out.

edit: more riviting, edge of your seat Gary Johnson. He's going after the much sought after nutcase vote. Here he positions himself as a staunch states rights supporter. Didn't these guys get the memo about the Civil War, the 1960's etc? Maybe we should start a chain email.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkvodt98UYw
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 06:27:58 PM »

For what it's worth, he's the most prominent Republican to actually announce, as opposed to forming an exploratory committee. What's hilarious is when they announce that they're going to form an exploratory committee.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 06:30:13 PM »

I guess they could call him the "amnesty, abortion and acid" candidate...

At least Johnson has some credibility on economics...
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2011, 08:58:57 AM »

I think there's a good chance Johnson ends up running as an Independent (and I think the net result would be a wash).  I also think that there's a decent chance Johnson or Paul or someone else plays a role comparable to Jerry Brown's in 1992 where the establishment agrees on a nominee but some gadfly hangs and is competitive with the consensus pick in primaries as he tries to focus on Obama.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies