The Tax Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:29:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Tax Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Tax Amendment  (Read 4345 times)
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2004, 03:40:58 PM »

From the ratification of this amendment, any proposed increase in federal taxes must receive the support of two-thirds of the senate for passage.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 04:36:45 PM »

I, the chairman for the Atlasians for Taxpayer Justice, oppose this Amendment.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 04:38:36 PM »

I would support this if any cuts in taxes required a two-thirds majority too to be consistent.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 04:52:21 PM »

I would support this if any cuts in taxes required a two-thirds majority too to be consistent.

Tax cuts=good=must be facilitated

Tax hikes=bad=must be dificulted
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 04:58:53 PM »

This amendment is worthless as a 2/3 vote is already required for any bill. Even with a tie, the Vice President's vote makes it a 2/3 vote. I ask that Senator StevenNick please pull this from the floor.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 04:59:39 PM »

I would prefer a majority vote + a referendum.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 05:01:43 PM »

I would prefer a majority vote + a referendum.

That is probably the easiest solution as it only requires a Senate resolution that says all changes to the tax code must be submitted as Constitutional Amendments.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 05:42:14 PM »

A referendum would be a terrible thing to do, because no matter how necessary a tax increase is, it will NEVER pass a referendum.

I am dissappointed to hear senators shouting "Tax cuts good, tax hikes bad."  An increase of taxes can lead to more social programs that increase the quality of life for the citizens way more than the money would.
Atlasia has one of the world's lowest tax rates for western nations, and most of the nations with higher tax rates are more wealthy, more affulent, more free, have higher life expectancies and higher quality of life.

I oppose this change that would allow a few misguided sticks in the mud to prevent the improvement of the nation, or refuse to solve a problem that can't be solved in any other way.  Sometimes a tax increase is the only possible way to generate funds, and four senators shouldn't be able to deny those necessary funds.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2004, 06:01:15 PM »

I am dissappointed to hear senators shouting "Tax cuts good, tax hikes bad."  An increase of taxes can lead to more social programs that increase the quality of life for the citizens way more than the money would.
Atlasia has one of the world's lowest tax rates for western nations, and most of the nations with higher tax rates are more wealthy, more affulent, more free, have higher life expectancies and higher quality of life.

These nations that you speak of all have unemployments rates that are much greater than ours in Atlasia as a result of the high taxes and bloated welfare states that they have developed.  Another thing to keep in mind is that many of the nations do not need to spend much on defense dut to the United States' willingness in the past to foot the bill for Europe's security.  They could afford to divert funds from defense and into welfare programs.  So I don't buy your logic that these country's are better (which is certainly not true when it comes to economic growth) and have higher tax rates so, therefore we shouldn't make it more difficult to raise taxes here.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 06:03:26 PM »

A referendum would be a terrible thing to do, because no matter how necessary a tax increase is, it will NEVER pass a referendum.

I oppose this change that would allow a few misguided sticks in the mud to prevent the improvement of the nation, or refuse to solve a problem that can't be solved in any other way.  Sometimes a tax increase is the only possible way to generate funds, and four senators shouldn't be able to deny those necessary funds.
Consider joining the Atlasians for Taxpayer Justice Harry.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2004, 06:30:48 PM »

Could we please try to avoid political recruitment on the government boards, its not appropriate.

I would also like to remind "ordinary" citizens that they shouldn't post to Senate debates unless they have a good reason - just joining in the debate isn't one. I know I am partly guilty of this myself and will in future try to limit myself to comments in line with my job and obviously to the answering of questions that get thrown my way by Senators. I would suggest that citizens wishing to communicate their views to Senators "write" letters and post them on the elections board.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2004, 06:51:51 PM »

Could we please try to avoid political recruitment on the government boards, its not appropriate.

I would also like to remind "ordinary" citizens that they shouldn't post to Senate debates unless they have a good reason - just joining in the debate isn't one. I know I am partly guilty of this myself and will in future try to limit myself to comments in line with my job and obviously to the answering of questions that get thrown my way by Senators. I would suggest that citizens wishing to communicate their views to Senators "write" letters and post them on the elections board.

This is what takes the fun out of government.  Why can't "normal citizens" post  their opinions and get into a debate where the senate will readily notice it?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2004, 06:59:19 PM »

This is what takes the fun out of government.  Why can't "normal citizens" post  their opinions and get into a debate where the senate will readily notice it?

Though we don't agree on well anything, I will agree with this.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2004, 07:04:21 PM »

The problem is not that I want citizens out of government, its that trying to keep up with everything in the Senate, especially for the Senators, is incredibly difficult if there is a discussion of mammoth proportions that they have to wade through. This makes the Senate incrediby inefficient and creates the massive delays that we have seen between initial proposal of legislation and actually seeing a vote on it - Senators were simply overwhelmed.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2004, 07:28:29 PM »

This has the backing of the White House.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2004, 07:36:14 PM »

Thank you for your support, Mr. President.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2004, 07:09:10 AM »

Uh, is a 2/3 vote necessary for any bill like King says? Because if so, there's not much point.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2004, 07:17:09 AM »

Uh, is a 2/3 vote necessary for any bill like King says? Because if so, there's not much point.

Not quite.  As far as I can tell, a "majority", which is what any bill needs, is six votes.  A two-thirds vote constitutes seven votes; six votes is only 60%, which is less than the 67% of two-thirds.  So this would make any bill proposing to increase taxes require one more vote to pass.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2004, 07:19:05 AM »

That sounds reasonable. How many Senators are there?
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2004, 07:38:08 AM »

While I can understand the logic behind this bill, I am against it.  As horrible as tax increases are, they are sometimes neccessary.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2004, 07:47:58 AM »

It only ups the number necessary by one, and helps ensure that the increases are really, truly necessary. Plus, the people of my district ocean support it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2004, 11:35:41 AM »

I have some reservations about this bill...it seems that 4 senators could block a necessary tax increase that's against Atlasia's interest.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2004, 12:50:37 PM »

I am strongly opposed to this. Paranoia about taxes hasn't exactly helped the economy of Alabama.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2004, 02:01:18 PM »

I am strongly opposed to this. Paranoia about taxes hasn't exactly helped the economy of Alabama.

Yet high taxes will?
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2004, 02:02:33 PM »

And laxness in regards to tax increases hasn't exactly helped the economies of Europe, either.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies