Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2015, 07:38:39 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Forum Community (Moderators: afleitch, Bacon King, Badger)
| | |-+  Did you support gay marriage before Hillary Clinton?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Poll
Question: (March 2013)
Yes   -108 (82.4%)
No   -10 (7.6%)
Still don't   -13 (9.9%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 131

Author Topic: Did you support gay marriage before Hillary Clinton?  (Read 1664 times)
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2015, 01:28:29 am »
Ignore

Ever since it became a major issue in 2003.

Even her totally 3rd-way husband beat her.
Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2015, 05:39:08 am »
Ignore

I started supporting civil unions around the same time.  I don't mind doma being gone, since we the people should decide to follow or go against god's commandments through our state legislatures and state constitutions, we shouldn't make our elected officials in Washington (or activist judges) make the decision for us.

I will never support same sex marriage unless I am convinced that scripture endorses it, and even then I may still have doubts about whether Children are truly raised equally well in same sex marriage homes as opposed to traditional marriage homes, though I will admit I have less doubts about that than I did years ago.

How do you support civil unions but not gay marriage by this logic?

I support civil unions because there are legitimate adoption needs and almost any home is better than the average orphanage. We show it has a lesser status under God by not calling it a marriage and denying a few marriage benefits. I don't support gay marriage primarily based on my Christian faith, but I'd be less bothered by it if it was we the people doing it and not we the activist judges doing it.

OK, this is in complete direct contradiction with the argument you made in our prior discussion, which is that you cannot incentivize anything you think is sinful, and in fact would even go as far as to ban the practice of religions you disagree with.  Now, you are indicating that you are fine with incentivizing something you think is sinful, because it has obvious positive benefits...despite the fact that, again, this is in direct contradiction to your previous argument.  You're apparently OK with incentivizing sin so long as its "lesser status under God" is signified through "denying a few marriage benefits" and lesser nominal recognition.  (?!?!)

In one case you support government prohibition of non-Christian behavior; in another you support incentivizing non-Christian behavior, so long as the government notes it's inferior.  It's hard to explain how logically baffling this is.  It's like if someone expressed a hardline pro-life position, and then was like, "eh, I'm willing to support publicly-funded abortions, as long as there's a $50 copay and we call them 'Satan's appendectomies.'"  That's not even a particularly hyperbolic analogy!  It's apt!  Your reasoning is that weird!

Be honest, dude: do you really think your argument on gay rights issues is coherent and cohesive?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 05:46:54 am by Grad Students are the Worst »Logged

n/c
Cryptic
Shadowlord88
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2015, 06:54:18 am »
Ignore

I've supported it ever since I first formulated political opinions back around 2003 or so.
Computer09
Computer89
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2015, 12:34:25 pm »
Ignore

I've supported it ever since I first formulated political opinions back around 2003 or so.

I didnt support it until Oct 2013(Until I was like a Junior in high school) and still dont personally approve it but its their choice and the governement shoudnt have the right to dictate on who gets married or not.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 12:36:41 pm by Computer09 »Logged

JOHN KASICH 2016

Economic Score: 0.5
Social: -0.1
TexasGurl
texasgurl24
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2015, 12:43:37 pm »
Ignore

I supported Gay Marriage before some of you were even born.  Smiley
I was maid of honor at a lesbian wedding in 1992.

politicallefty
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -9.57

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2015, 03:26:10 pm »
Ignore

I don't really know, since I never really bought into the anti-gay marriage views that a lot of Democrats have had in the past. I think for many that it was a political stance rather than an actual personal opposition. Just like President Obama, I think her public opposition was a political stance and that she actually has been supportive of marriage equality for quite some time now.

As for her public view, yes, I was supportive of gay marriage before her. I don't know really know that there's one day where I shifted in support. When the issue really came into focus in 2004, I was in favour of the moderate compromise of civil unions. I wasn't really in favour of or opposed to gay marriage. However, I was very much opposed to the constitutional marriage bans that were being pushed through at that point. Basically, I thought the issue needed to evolve through the political process. Sometime after that was when I truly became supportive of gay marriage (maybe 2005 or 2006). I was quite happy to see the California Supreme Court rule in favour of marriage equality in 2008. It wasn't until Prop 8 passed that the issue became one of high importance to me. That result still remains one of the most shocking to me and also one of the most disappointing and disturbing.

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP - Leonard Nimoy
Southern Legislator darthebearnc
darthebearnc
United States

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2015, 03:34:37 pm »
Ignore

I did indeed, and always have
Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States