The Al Realpolitik Institute of Sulfur Mining & Extraction (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:50:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Al Realpolitik Institute of Sulfur Mining & Extraction (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Al Realpolitik Institute of Sulfur Mining & Extraction  (Read 386755 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: December 02, 2011, 10:28:17 AM »

This is what happens when you have a few beers before getting on here. I apologize, folks. I stepped a bit too far with this one.

actually, from my experience, employers serve alcohol at parties only to find out who the real arseholes are in the company and target them for firing - in other words, alcohol doesn't change your personality, alcohol amplifies it.

So, you can apologize all you want, but now we know how you really think.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 03:13:02 PM »

Remembering that it's apparently not okay for people who abstain from smoking pot to make a point of their personal or moral objections, but is okay for people who do smoke pot to make fun of everyone who doesn't.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 03:36:04 PM »

I am integrating the recurring theme of BRTDs 10 year old daughter and 37 year old tweed, although the ideas were independently formed.

I take it you're dirtying yourself with modern society now:

What our society celebrates today is shallowness, and the mere pastiche of ideas.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 05:34:15 PM »

Only slightly less so than the average human.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 04:15:41 PM »

I take back every negative thing I've ever said about Simfan.  Bravo, sir.

Vicious personal attack on an average american elicits your applause.  Lovely.  You should both go  lounge around Vegas in your suits and porkpie hats and make fun of the 'squares'.

Vegas is for the peons. If you want to gamble, go to Macau.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 11:45:54 AM »

Sure, but the address is 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, DA and Mitt and family will be moving in on 1/20/13.

Zing!

Or would have been if Washington, DA were an actual place. The C and A aren't even next to each other on the keyboard so you must be dyslexic

In hindsight this very much seems to be a post by "The Professor".
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 12:15:10 AM »

Indeed, is there anything in the world more in opposition to freedom?

Strident anticlericalism has historically come close from time to time.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 01:01:09 AM »

It was the day people would give their servants presents in brown boxes.

So did you get your servants anything interesting?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 08:26:57 PM »

This is really a "good post", but I firmly the Gallery should be reserved for thoughtful "effortposts" so I'll put it here.

This is just the natural conclusion of allowing "casual" dress in workplaces. Soon you'll have people coming in in their underwear or covered in sweat after a workout. It's disgusting.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 08:43:56 PM »

I've looked in my body, and it's better with a suit on.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 04:12:03 PM »

No, not really. That was, and I quote "a lame come-back". I've never seen Nathan burnt, I doubt opebo will be the one to do it.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 10:27:51 PM »

Ah I see it. If something jibes with your amoral, constant-progress based, anti-traditional viewpoint, say it's reminiscent of something Mike Naso would do.
Shouldn't you be on the back of the bus?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 04:46:22 PM »

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE, PLEASE STOP. I know we don't take this forum seriously, but please, please, show a modicum of respect for the idea this is some kind of high-level forum and at least use punctuation. Please.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 10:25:11 PM »

Easily the most pitiful attempt at comedy since Rochambeau.

This user is currently ignored.

Whatever you say.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 01:09:00 PM »

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 11:40:37 AM »

He has Gully and Oakvale's disapproval. That's enough these days.

Grumps old man, your posts about Cave matters are becoming more valuable.  Why?  Because instead of them being just randomly right or wrong, and thus noise, instead there is now a clear correlation between what you post and what does happen in the Cave. It's just that the correlation is negative. But by just adding a "not" or deleting "one," as the case may be, to change the integer sign of your post content as it were, your missives  can indeed now prove to be a potentially useful roadmap.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 06:28:57 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: BS NOT MODERN INVENTION      SHOCK, HORROR AS IT IS DISCOVERED ANCIENT PEOPLES CAPABLE OF SAYING NONSENSE     "NOT EVERYTHING YOU READ ON A PARCHMENT OR PAPYRUS IS TRUE", SAYS HISTORIAN
So, you are in the Bible is bogus camp?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 07:49:55 PM »

Most I ever paid? $82 not too long ago at P.J. Clarke's. Raw oysters and clams, a lobster roll, cheesecake, and an Irish coffee. Well worth the cost, although it usually comes out to less there- like $60. I blame the fact I'd finally made it to the opera that night and the waitress was also very attractive.

Most expensive? Probably at the Capital Grille in Boston on the occasion of my cousin's graduation from MIT, last year, the steak I had was $40 or so on top of appetizers and dessert, with some 12-15 of us, and their wine considered, I'd expect it to be upwards of $2500. I might have spent more at Delmonico's on my birthday a few weeks back- I had an entree of $45 Lobster Newburg (and a rather tough one at that!) plus some oysters, bread pudding, and Madeira. Probably like $90, but I was forcibly prevented from seeing the check, much less paying.

Bedstuy, Eleven Madison Park or Per Se? (There's also a place with such prices in Brooklyn which I am neglecting and whose name I am forgetting, but who cares, it's in Brooklyn). Perhaps Daniel and Jean-Georges are contenders here.

Ultimately I am the sort of person who loves good food but would hate to pay for it- you eat and then- it is gone, just like that. And you are out $50. Which is the entry price for a great meal in this city sadly- maybe $40 but keep in mind a meal at McDonald's here is $10- and adjust your scales accordingly.

This is why the world hates America.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 09:22:52 AM »

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2014, 12:51:50 AM »

Story-wise, Wozzeck is fairly straightforward and predictable, if not a little dumb at points.  Berg made a good decision to cut out extraneous material that does not advance the dramatic focus.  But musically, it is amazing.  Every time.  And opera is always 90% about the music anyways.

I always see Wozzeck at the Met when it's around because James Levine (the child-molester extraordinaire) is quite good at it.

Oh, of course. Going to an opera for the plot is like going to see Transformers or something for the plot. Atonality isn't usually my thing, last I was there was for Cosi fan tutte, no not usually my thing at all- my favorite Schoenberg piece is Verklarte Nacht, which surely says something about my taste.

Berg's music is not atonal.

Well, twelve-tonal, whatever you want to call it. It certainly is unusual. Which is what Berg exactly wanted us to think of it.

Wozzeck was written before dodecaphonic music came into being in the Schoenbergian sense, with tone-rows and derivations and best of all, hexachordal inversional combinatoriality, etc., etc.  I don't know what twelve-tonal means; I presume that this is the layman's term for dodecaphonic.

The musicologists always use the asinine phrase "free atonality" to describe a work like Wozzeck written before the dodecaphonic system was developed by Schoenberg, but as a practical matter, Berg utilizes a number of different tonal centers in Wozzeck that grow out the various motifs and leitmotifs that are emphasized, specifically the interval relationships like the tritone and the minor third.

The shallowness of my thought is particularly apparent when I make the reference to Transformers.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 10:12:02 PM »

Excellent. Any blow against bro-dom is worthwhile.

Just because you're a f#cking geed who probably couldn't get a bid from my neighbors next door (a disgrace to the phrase "fraternity") doesn't mean you can take a metaphorical piss on those that might actually enjoy their lives. It would, however, be interesting to hear your actual opposition to people being productive, taking leadership roles, having to learn codes of conduct, running an organization, and all the other things that come with being part of such an organization. Due to your status as one who will likely spend the majority of their waking hours in a basement on a computer, I wonder why you yourself would not long for something greater.

In any case, this is a great miscarriage of justice, the likes of which has not been seen since--probably--Roe v. Wade. They can all go to Hell.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2014, 07:14:31 PM »

Do you still believe homosexuality is a choice? If so, that could arguably be a bannable offense...

Wow, did you really just say that?

I will ask this again.  Believing what the Bible, which is inerrant and infallible, says about homosexuality is now a bannable offense?  I guess there is no freedom of religion and beliefs in this place anymore.

This is a private website, not a government entity under any kind of obligation to uphold the First Amendment in its dealings with its members. This line of argument demeans us, it demeans you, and most importantly it demeans the Bible, by implicitly positing that it isn't worth actually analyzing or critically but faithfully engaging with in any way and can't stand up to the slightest amount of such analysis or critical engagement from those of us who don't belong to whatever cuckoo-for-Cocoa-Puffs subvariety of snake-belly Low Church Protestantism it is that you do. Simfan, Harry, and I are all Christians and we all think this is an absolute joke. Positing Biblical inerrancy doesn't have to be a form of theological concern trolling, but it is as often as not.

Exceptionally good part underlined.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2014, 08:47:14 PM »

Do they wave their hands there? Ugh.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2014, 09:00:54 PM »

I will take a liturgical Protestant service over that stuff any day of the week. It's much more pleasing to the eye and ear.

Yeah, handwaving is the worst.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2014, 09:07:40 PM »

I will take a liturgical Protestant service over that stuff any day of the week. It's much more pleasing to the eye and ear.

Yeah, handwaving is the worst.
You guys are so boring? Why do you hate snakes and big hats and hand waving and random cries of AMEN at inappropriate moments?

Because it isn't actually a church service.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies