SENATE BILL: Ethanol Subsidy Reform Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:28:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Ethanol Subsidy Reform Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Ethanol Subsidy Reform Act (Law'd)  (Read 3321 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2011, 06:58:42 PM »
« edited: May 23, 2011, 10:08:19 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Ethanol Subsidy Reform Act

With the increased cost of foods worldwide including grains and corn due to the increasing use of farmland as ethanol production growth, it is necessary to reform the system of ethanol subsidies.

1) 25% of all ethanol subsidies will be transfered directly into the general fund of the Atlasian federal government.

2) 25% of all ethanol subsidies will be transfered into a federal tax credit for the implementation of renewable energy vehicles.

Sponsor: HappyWarrior
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 07:03:44 PM »

In 72 hours, we will be at final vote on this accept if we are voting on an amendment or about to do so.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 07:47:42 AM »

I would actually propose that we remove all ethanol subsidies. Or at least have a plan that gradually eliminates them over a period of X number of years.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 09:39:53 AM »

I would actually propose that we remove all ethanol subsidies. Or at least have a plan that gradually eliminates them over a period of X number of years.

I just wanted an inital elimination of half and then later maybe the elimination of the rest at a later point.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 09:41:11 AM »

I just wanted an inital elimination of half and then later maybe the elimination of the rest at a later point.
We'd be saving time by following Rowan's suggestion and phasing it out rather that passing another bill at a later time eliminating them.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 09:42:57 AM »

We'd be saving time by following Rowan's suggestion and phasing it out rather that passing another bill at a later time eliminating them.

Well if he has any sort of amendment I'd happily take a look at it.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 09:52:27 AM »

Well if he has any sort of amendment I'd happily take a look at it.

Give me some time. I'll get something together.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 10:44:56 PM »

CHECK THE WIKI!!!!! 

I do remember seeing something about a repeal or something around 2005ish or so. I could be worng though.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 01:28:06 AM »

I will oppose all efforts to end ethanol subsidies for the sake of ending them.  It will have no appreciable impact on food prices since all it will do is increase oil demand and thus raise the price of oil, which in turn will raise the price of growing crops.

In the end, all we've done is save a penny while sending a pound overseas... rather than keeping it at home.

I'd hope any senators with common sense would agree with me on this and oppose this bill.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 09:20:07 AM »

CHECK THE WIKI!!!!! 

I do remember seeing something about a repeal or something around 2005ish or so. I could be worng though.

Who the hell reads the Wiki?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 09:32:21 AM »

I will oppose all efforts to end ethanol subsidies for the sake of ending them.  It will have no appreciable impact on food prices since all it will do is increase oil demand and thus raise the price of oil, which in turn will raise the price of growing crops.

In the end, all we've done is save a penny while sending a pound overseas... rather than keeping it at home.

I'd hope any senators with common sense would agree with me on this and oppose this bill.

Hence why the rest of the money is being put into tax subsidies for alternative energy which don't screw over poor nations.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 04:28:33 PM »

The idea of burning food to turn it into fuel is the defination of insanity. It has drained our food silos to the point that we have limited ability to deal with a crisis of some magnitude. It raises food prices, hurts the environment more then Petroleum, and is very innefficient.

The bill should distinguish between ethenol derived from food products and those derived from other sources.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 04:55:59 PM »

I hate subsidies on ethanol. Let's remove them pronto!
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 05:41:53 PM »

The idea of burning food to turn it into fuel is the defination of insanity. It has drained our food silos to the point that we have limited ability to deal with a crisis of some magnitude. It raises food prices, hurts the environment more then Petroleum, and is very innefficient.

The bill should distinguish between ethenol derived from food products and those derived from other sources.

I meant to at the outset, I'll get to that later.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 03:44:39 PM »

I meant to at the outset, I'll get to thatlater.

Only one thing really comes mind, Sanford and Son.

"You hear that Louise, I'm commin to join ya honey".
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 10:52:08 PM »

Amendment:

With the increased cost of foods worldwide including grains and corn due to the increasing use of farmland as ethanol production growth, it is necessary to reform the system of ethanol subsidies.

1) 25% of all food based ethanol subsidies will be transfered directly into the general fund of the Atlasian federal government.

2) 25% of all food based ethanol subsidies will be transfered into a federal tax credit for the implementation of renewable energy vehicles.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 10:58:05 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object. I am starting that from 10:52 by the way. If someone has an issue with that on such a change, they can go to hell.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 11:17:05 PM »

what kind of vehicles are we talking about here with the tax credit?  biodeisel? do we have the capacity and production ready for people to take advantage of this tax credit? (note a hybrid or electric car is not in itself a renewable energy vehicle.)
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 11:54:26 PM »

More clarification would certainly be good.

Don't get me wrong, I want productive debate and discussion.

"Only this time I want it done quickly" - Mathew Broderick in the move "Glory".

So I'll just fire a Colt pistol behind your heads while you discuss. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 06:37:32 PM »

That amendment, number 23 has passed.

WTF part of quickly do you people not understand. Important points are brought up and in two days no one bothers to respond.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 07:46:54 PM »

RL ethanol subsidies are about 6 Bil.  That means about 1.5 Bil for each of these items.  Another option for the tax credit would be to have it for research and investment into cellulosic ethanol.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 11:00:55 PM »

Amendment 2:

1) 25% of all food based ethanol subsidies will be transfered directly into the general fund of the Atlasian federal government.

2) 25% of all food based ethanol subsidies will be transfered into a federal tax credit for the implementation and research of renewable energy vehicles, specifically cellulosic ethanol..

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 11:16:46 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2011, 11:25:12 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 11:22:35 PM »

I've always thought it was weird we use food for fuel when we could use it for food. But what do I know...
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 06:44:18 PM »

Now the amendment has been on the floor long enough to be seen by the Senators (there actually is a required required this or something like it for a different reason prior to asking 24 hours to object)

With that said, Senators have 24 hours to object to the above amendment, number 26.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies