NV-02 special election: 9/13
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:14:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NV-02 special election: 9/13
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]
Author Topic: NV-02 special election: 9/13  (Read 29003 times)
BigSkyBob

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: September 14, 2011, 10:01:56 AM »

Well, well:

In 2010, the first few days of early voting In Washoe were R+7, but Reid won by 5.

Now, the first few days of early voting are R+14.5.

Assuming the winning margin stays the same, it's Amodei by 2.5 points.

I don't really think Marshall can win this thing, she'll probably lose by 10% in the end.

Much better call.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #201 on: September 14, 2011, 10:02:29 AM »

Man, I wish PPP would poll there ...

I think this race will turn out closer than most people think (Marshall could be within 5 points).

I think it'll be closer than that... Marshall is running basically the same campaign as Hochul did in NY-26 and that was an R+6 district. This one is R+5.

Two bad calls.

That was before anybody polled the race.

My prediction for the special election is:

54.75% Amodei (R)
40.53% Marshall (D)
  4.72% Others
BigSkyBob

« Reply #202 on: September 14, 2011, 10:39:39 AM »

Man, I wish PPP would poll there ...

I think this race will turn out closer than most people think (Marshall could be within 5 points).

I think it'll be closer than that... Marshall is running basically the same campaign as Hochul did in NY-26 and that was an R+6 district. This one is R+5.

Two bad calls.

That was before anybody polled the race.

The measure of a good pundit is the ability to project races before reading any polls.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #203 on: September 14, 2011, 10:52:35 AM »

Well, either that or it could have been a bunch of Democrats who called the blog to discredit the Magellan company ... Tongue

That's a bit of a stretch. You have to admit that the poll was very lopsided. It's doubtful that Marshall will get less than 40% of the vote, it's not like she's some random candidate. PPP has the a better record of accuracy of Magellan, anyway.

Quoted for truth!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #204 on: September 14, 2011, 11:09:05 AM »

58-36? Ouch!
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #205 on: September 14, 2011, 11:19:43 AM »

Romney would present real problems in Nevada because of the Mormon thing.  I would not underestimate that - it's probably worth a couple of percentage points.

The Mormon thing hasn't hurt Harry Reid in Nevada.  Nevada has a decent sized Mormon population.  Whatever Nevada anti-Mormon vote there is should be offset by the Mormon vote.
Guderian

« Reply #206 on: September 14, 2011, 12:27:36 PM »

Romney would present real problems in Nevada because of the Mormon thing.  I would not underestimate that - it's probably worth a couple of percentage points.

The Mormon thing hasn't hurt Harry Reid in Nevada.  Nevada has a decent sized Mormon population.  Whatever Nevada anti-Mormon vote there is should be offset by the Mormon vote.

He probably meant that Romney would present problems to Democrats in Nevada because he's Mormon, not that he would have problems because of anti-Mormon bias.

Anyway, Nate Silver made an interesting point about this being arguably more relevant of the two specials held - New York 9th has been trending Republican for a decade, so Turner being elected is just an acceleration of previous trends. Nevada 2nd on the other hand, has been trending Democratic over the last few elections.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #207 on: September 14, 2011, 03:56:26 PM »

This is the first time in at least 4 years a republican underpolls in NV =)

Damn; our predictions were really off, Julio!
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #208 on: September 14, 2011, 03:58:15 PM »

NV-02 is less Republican than NY-26, so I still think its a tossup.

Interesting call. Didn't quite work out.

I know you really enjoy calling me out, Bobby, but, at the time, it looked like a competitive race.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #209 on: September 14, 2011, 04:26:13 PM »

NV-02 is less Republican than NY-26, so I still think its a tossup.

Interesting call. Didn't quite work out.

I know you really enjoy calling me out, Bobby, but, at the time, it looked like a competitive race.

At the time, you claimed it was not merely "competitive," but, rather, that it was a "tossup."  That was quite an interesting claim for a district with a Republican PVI.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #210 on: September 14, 2011, 05:05:39 PM »

Hey, Republicans haven't exactly had a stellar track record of holding on to their own seats in special elections of late, so people who expected this to be closer (or even an upset) should be forgiven.  It's easy for Republicans to gloat now, but a few months ago B.S.Bob was nowhere near this thread...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #211 on: September 14, 2011, 05:12:53 PM »

Romney would present real problems in Nevada because of the Mormon thing.  I would not underestimate that - it's probably worth a couple of percentage points.

The Mormon thing hasn't hurt Harry Reid in Nevada.  Nevada has a decent sized Mormon population.  Whatever Nevada anti-Mormon vote there is should be offset by the Mormon vote.

Yeah, Sam meant the opposite. Actually Romney's mormonism won't hurt him most anywhere out west. In the south and lower midwest, not so sure. Not that it will cause him to lose but it might be worth a point or two there.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #212 on: September 14, 2011, 05:19:44 PM »

Hey, Republicans haven't exactly had a stellar track record of holding on to their own seats in special elections of late, so people who expected this to be closer (or even an upset) should be forgiven.  It's easy for Republicans to gloat now, but a few months ago B.S.Bob was nowhere near this thread...

1) A few months ago I was sweating it. Had I posted, I wouldn't have grossly overestimated Amodei chances, like many of the Democrats here vastly overestimated Marshall's chances.

2) I'm not reviewing predictions to "gloat." I reviewed the predictions to discuss the relative accuracies of the posters here.

3) "Gloating" isn't really necessary. I sat through the nomination of George H W Bush, George W Bush, and the resulting elections of 1992, 2006, and 2008.  We all know how much last night sucked for the Democrats. There is no point in rubbing it since it already sucks so badly. It was a pretty painful night, right?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #213 on: September 14, 2011, 10:19:35 PM »

Romney would present real problems in Nevada because of the Mormon thing.  I would not underestimate that - it's probably worth a couple of percentage points.

The Mormon thing hasn't hurt Harry Reid in Nevada.  Nevada has a decent sized Mormon population.  Whatever Nevada anti-Mormon vote there is should be offset by the Mormon vote.

Yeah, Sam meant the opposite. Actually Romney's mormonism won't hurt him most anywhere out west. In the south and lower midwest, not so sure. Not that it will cause him to lose but it might be worth a point or two there.

Yes, I meant plus not minus, in Nevada context specifically.  It's always been a plus for Harry too.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #214 on: September 14, 2011, 10:46:23 PM »

Yes, I meant plus not minus, in Nevada context specifically.  It's always been a plus for Harry too.

I had thought Sam that you had lost your marbles there for a moment, but decided not to say anything as a professional courtesy. Tongue
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #215 on: September 14, 2011, 10:57:23 PM »

I had thought Sam that you had lost your marbles there for a moment, but decided not to say anything as a professional courtesy. Tongue

I will admit to the statement being poorly worded, very true.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #216 on: September 15, 2011, 08:22:43 AM »

Reid's being a Mormon, and his claims to being "pro-life" have benefited him politically. His supporters have characterized him by saying, "He's a Mormon, and he's pro-life..."  tapping into Mormon stereotypes of extreme conservativism. The reality is that Reid is hard left.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #217 on: September 15, 2011, 08:44:53 AM »

Never been less tempted to hit "show" than in this thread.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #218 on: September 19, 2011, 04:31:56 PM »

@RalstonFlash

Glen Bolger poll for NV retailers shows @SenDeanHeller leading @RepBerkley in #nvsen, 48-42. Key is edge w/indies (52-23). Posting details.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #219 on: September 19, 2011, 06:29:03 PM »

Never been less tempted to hit "show" than in this thread.

You have not missed out on much. Part of it is the repetition. At least I try to say something new, even if what I say sucks. Smiley  But it isn't quite as bad as this Orthodox Jew thing and NY-09 and gays, which has now moved on to NJ.  The drum on that one lost its sound ages ago.  LOL.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies