Osama bin Laden dead (Official)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:50:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Osama bin Laden dead (Official)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21
Author Topic: Osama bin Laden dead (Official)  (Read 40063 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: May 02, 2011, 01:47:17 PM »

That doesn't sound so Christian.......are your parents and church bretheren happy too?

You bet they are!!  This guy was a tyrant and a good-for-nothing creature.  We are Christians, yes, but we are also Americans and we are patriotic Americans to boot, not to mention we are also humans.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #351 on: May 02, 2011, 01:52:12 PM »

see  i agree with that. but i dont agree with people only getting mad because he killed americans.

Excuse me, what? Bin Laden was a man responsible for death of people of very diffrent orgins, my countrymen and other Europeans (see London, Madrid for example) as well. Oh, not to mention Arabs, Afghans, Pakistanis etc. etc.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #352 on: May 02, 2011, 01:52:21 PM »

According to politico, Rush Limbaugh is doing an about-face by saying "Thank God for President Obama."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0511/54122.html
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #353 on: May 02, 2011, 01:53:57 PM »

That doesn't sound so Christian.......are your parents and church bretheren happy too?

In fairness, wasn't this one of his adult sons who was a big a bastard as dad (hence staying with daddy the terrorist)?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #354 on: May 02, 2011, 01:56:25 PM »

The reports of Bin Laden going down with machine gun in hand makes me think of one thing and one thing only:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6L8NFcMakk

Are you kidding Johnny? Tony Montana was way cooler than Osama.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #355 on: May 02, 2011, 01:56:55 PM »

see  i agree with that. but i dont agree with people only getting mad because he killed americans.

Excuse me, what? Bin Laden was a man responsible for death of people of very diffrent orgins, my countrymen and other Europeans (see London, Madrid for example) as well. Oh, not to mention Arabs, Afghans, Pakistanis etc. etc.

I think she's saying that Americans are only getting mad because he killed Americans.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #356 on: May 02, 2011, 01:58:25 PM »

CNN is reporting they've already burried Bin Laden at sea.

I assume this was done so that his burial ground doesn't become a magnet for nutjobs from all over the Muslim world.

So since he's already been buried at sea, how long until right-wing commentators accuse Obama of fabricating his death for political benefit?

I predict another book from Jerome Corsi.

<sigh> It's already happening. A quick review of web traffic shows a loud minority refusing to believe it (Obama staged it for political purposes, etc, etc). It seems we already have a new political sub-movement---the "deathers". Roll Eyes

Even more widespread is the angry retort in the middle of anti-Obama screeds of "Obama didn't get Osama, the U.S. military did". Sadly, expect this denunnciation of giving the Commander-in-Chief an ounce of credit for a military mission he personally authorized after a series of meetings on the subject to be the line du jour of professional Obama haters. Watch how long before this becomes the de facto official response of the right. Professional haters like Rush and Hannity will combine it with an explicit "so don't give President Obama credit here" kiss-off, while Congressional and party leaders will simply pointedly leave mention of Obama out of most celebratory statements. W's response congratulating the President and the military will likely be among the exceptions to the rule.

I'm not trying to be political; I'm just sad how political this has already become in this divided country.

According to politico, Rush Limbaugh is doing an about-face by saying "Thank God for President Obama."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0511/54122.html
Wow! Shocked I am shocked, and equally happy to admit I was wrong.

Please let it last. I don't expect the right wing news to merely treat Obama as a "worthy advisary" from here on in, but on this one issue maybe it can last.

Maybe?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #357 on: May 02, 2011, 02:01:44 PM »

I think she's saying that Americans are only getting mad because he killed Americans.

Well, considering Osama's deadliest attack happened at U.S. soil and American people were the target, it's not suprising Americans hate him to this degree.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #358 on: May 02, 2011, 02:06:48 PM »

While military experts wanted to bomb the Pakistani mansion where bin Laden was hiding, Limbaugh said, Obama may have “single-handedly [come] up with the technique” of attacking the target at the ground level. He credited the president with much more military prowess than Obama critics usually attribute to the president.

“President Obama, perhaps the only qualified member in the room to deal with this, insisted on the Special Forces,” he said. “No one else thought of that…. Not a single intelligence adviser, not a single national security adviser, not a single military adviser came up with the idea of using SEAL Team 6 or any Special Forces.”

Wow. Words to follow I have never said before, or likely ever will again:

"Ditto Rush".

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0511/54122.html#ixzz1LDut7tN7
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #359 on: May 02, 2011, 02:13:48 PM »

I've never seen Rush look so happy!

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #360 on: May 02, 2011, 02:18:44 PM »

While military experts wanted to bomb the Pakistani mansion where bin Laden was hiding, Limbaugh said, Obama may have “single-handedly [come] up with the technique” of attacking the target at the ground level. He credited the president with much more military prowess than Obama critics usually attribute to the president.

“President Obama, perhaps the only qualified member in the room to deal with this, insisted on the Special Forces,” he said. “No one else thought of that…. Not a single intelligence adviser, not a single national security adviser, not a single military adviser came up with the idea of using SEAL Team 6 or any Special Forces.”

"Ditto Rush".

Are we sure that there was only one SEAL team operating last night?
Are we sure that none of their colleagues was seen yesterday around Rush's mansion replacing him with a double?
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #361 on: May 02, 2011, 02:45:30 PM »

Well, considering Osama's deadliest attack happened at U.S. soil and American people were the target, it's not suprising Americans hate him to this degree.

Yes, I agree. But everyone should be upset. And my point is if it was in japan americans should still be equally pissed off. Here in sf, the talk is that they f-cked with the wrong country.  And if he attacked japan  that they wouldnt care. This is what i am hearing in sf today. So I am simply saying that when you get mad you should take out nationalism and patriotism. That is all. Until then I wouldnt agree with how people are thinking.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #362 on: May 02, 2011, 02:49:30 PM »

Yes, I agree. But everyone should be upset. And my point is if it was in japan americans should still be equally pissed off. Here in sf, the talk is that they f-cked with the wrong country.  And if he attacked japan  that they wouldnt care. This is what i am hearing in sf today. So I am simply saying that when you get mad you should take out nationalism and patriotism. That is all. Until then I wouldnt agree with how people are thinking.

ummm, part of the US government's stated responsibility is to protest the safety of Americans against violence, both foreign and domestic.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #363 on: May 02, 2011, 02:52:26 PM »

I think most Americans would care.  Now, if he had attacked only Japan, I'd personally care, but I wouldn't advocate us going into Pakistan to get him.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #364 on: May 02, 2011, 03:04:27 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2011, 03:07:06 PM by Boris »

Google maps view and diagram of the compound:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/02/bin-laden-compound-abbottabad-google-maps_n_856225.html

(google maps images are actually mistagged...dunno where to find the actual compound)
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #365 on: May 02, 2011, 03:07:33 PM »

I'm sure the plan to bury Bin Laden at sea had been made well in advance. Finding a country willing to accept his body for burial would be difficult if not impossible, as any such site would be a magnet for crazies, and any country willing to accept his remains would make his tomb into a shrine.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #366 on: May 02, 2011, 03:12:35 PM »

Google maps view and diagram of the compound:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/02/bin-laden-compound-abbottabad-google-maps_n_856225.html

(google maps images are actually mistagged...dunno where to find the actual compound)

I entered the coordinates on Wikipedia in Google Maps and got this place:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.169167,73.2425&spn=0.01,0.01&t=h&q=34.169167,73.2425
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #367 on: May 02, 2011, 03:18:39 PM »

yeah, that's correct. I feel bad for the people living in the other compound, as their home is now mistagged as Bin Laden's hideout. Unless they're also terrorists Tongue
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #368 on: May 02, 2011, 03:23:22 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2011, 03:26:08 PM by Countess Anya of the North Parish »

see  i agree with that. but i dont agree with people only getting mad because he killed americans.

Yes, I agree. But everyone should be upset. And my point is if it was in japan americans should still be equally pissed off. Here in sf, the talk is that they f-cked with the wrong country.  And if he attacked japan  that they wouldnt care. This is what i am hearing in sf today. So I am simply saying that when you get mad you should take out nationalism and patriotism. That is all. Until then I wouldnt agree with how people are thinking.

I think most Americans would care.  Now, if he had attacked only Japan, I'd personally care, but I wouldn't advocate us going into Pakistan to get him.
Well see, that is my point. You would care but no enough to do anything about it. But let it happen to america and you would be the first one to want to go get 'justice'.

ummm, part of the US government's stated responsibility is to protest the safety of Americans against violence, both foreign and domestic.
Right and I am saying that I dont like that. Why cant the world jus protect eachother? It would be far better if there was teamwork. But really everyone only cares about their own nation more then others.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #369 on: May 02, 2011, 03:24:33 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/05/02/osama_and_chants_of_usa
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #370 on: May 02, 2011, 03:39:27 PM »

When we lose the sadness part -- when all we do is happily scream "USA! USA! USA!” at news of yet more killing in a now unending back-and-forth war -- it’s a sign we may be inadvertently letting the monsters win.

wow, what a bunch of hacks, I guess Hitler won because of the pandemonium of Times Square after the war was over:

Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #371 on: May 02, 2011, 03:43:32 PM »

Yeah... I read that Sirota piece earlier and while I usually like his work I have to disagree (I also think he's mostly trying to be contrarian just for the sake of being contrarian but that's neither here nor there.)

These celebrations would've happened had Bin Laden been captured alive as well. The public outpouring was more about finding closure and justice in the events of 10 years ago and not bloodlust. I know it's difficult to differentiate the two because the closure was tied to a violent death, but it seemed like the excitement last night wasn't really about the fact that he was dead so much as the fact that this chapter was now, in the heads of many people, finally over.

People react in different ways because, well, people are different and there's nothing wrong with that. I think drawing sweeping conclusions about this spontaneous burst of human emotion into a boarder picture of American society is tempting but just goes a step too far. Some folks reacted to the news with somberness and introspection; some reacted with cheering in the streets and hanging out with their friends and families. Different strokes for different folks. No need to criticize others for the way they handle things emotionally.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #372 on: May 02, 2011, 03:47:04 PM »

When we lose the sadness part -- when all we do is happily scream "USA! USA! USA!” at news of yet more killing in a now unending back-and-forth war -- it’s a sign we may be inadvertently letting the monsters win.

wow, what a bunch of hacks, I guess Hitler won because of the pandemonium of Times Square after the war was over:

Hacks for what? They merely have a different opinion than you.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #373 on: May 02, 2011, 03:51:02 PM »

"Ditto Rush".

And Rush is absolutely right.

Obama took a risk, presumably after asking the military what was possible.  In that respect, he wasn't being Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #374 on: May 02, 2011, 03:51:28 PM »

We need like buttons. it would be so much easier then simply quoting and sayng, "this".
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies