Bin Laden Dead- What Happens Now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:49:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Bin Laden Dead- What Happens Now?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Bin Laden Dead- What Happens Now?  (Read 10300 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2011, 08:10:15 PM »

Obama's approval will be VERY high tommorow

I think he hurt himself waiting THIS long though to announce (not that his poll numbers will drop, but they won't be as high as they could have been), fox got it first. It's 45 minutes late, he lost the umph of announcing it as President.

What I'd really love to see is Petraeus' approvals

This is hilarious. Give it up.

I don't think he can help himself.

I'm serious. Obama called the meeting at 8:30, waited an hour, by then the entire world knew. NO. I'm NOT saying his approvals will drop. I think he'll be lucky to see a 60% approvals at the highest instead of something greater. It was a terrible decision to wait when the leader of the nation who ordered the assault could have stated that Osama Bin Laden was dead when everyone was thinking it was going to be about Libya.

Does anyone notice the near-absence of grandstanding by this President? The time at which he announced the demise of Usama bin Laden was near midnight on Sunday in the Eastern Time Zone. It was good timing for the West Coast... but considering where the Twin Towers used to be, where the Pentagon is,  and where the commandeered flights came from, such could only have been bad timing for getting the point out. Many people didn;t find out until Monday morning.

Of course, success of the operation mattered far more than the President getting all of the credit possible.   
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2011, 08:29:26 PM »

Its basic, Obama could either have a victory five percentage points higher than 2008. Or, he could be holding on for dear life as he looses five percentage points from his last total. It just depends.

Aren't you getting a little old to still be making these posts?

Gporter's listed age has been 19 for several years now.  One day he'll eventually hit it.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2011, 09:11:06 PM »

I think the effect will be significant in that I think the combo of the birth certificate and OBL should put away all the 'should he be president' BS except for the fringe. People vote more for "strong leader" than issues and this helps. Polling wise I think he will jump up to the mid 50s in Gallup, and then settle back to around 50 by mid summer. But I do think that he has reset his floor a bit and 41 is now less likely for the rest of 2011 unless double dip or gas prices hit $6
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2011, 09:19:22 PM »

Its basic, Obama could either have a victory five percentage points higher than 2008. Or, he could be holding on for dear life as he looses five percentage points from his last total. It just depends.

Aren't you getting a little old to still be making these posts?

Age has no barring on stupidity and maturity.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2011, 10:10:50 PM »

Easy on the Gporter.  Let he who is without pointless post throw the first stone, know what I mean?

Anyway, the OBL kill is what VPB might call a BFD.  It doesn't make him a lock but it bolsters the perception of Obama as competent executive and in light of the GOP attacks on his performance as Commander-in-Chief makes their talking points somewhat more suspect.  Doesn't mean economic issues aren't predominant but I think things like this give Obama more leeway to campaign his way out of a slow recovery at least.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2011, 10:38:20 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2011, 10:40:35 PM by Frodo »

Anyway, the OBL kill is what VPB might call a BFD.

You use more acronyms in one sentence than many Washingtonians here.  Tongue

So what does VPB and BFD stand for?  

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2011, 10:45:25 PM »

I'm guessing Vice President Biden.. Not sure about BFD
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »

About 1992 comparisons:

Bush lost chiefly because of Republican fatigue. Voters were just tired of the Republican party. They'd only voted for Bush so greatly in 1988 because Dukkakis was a failure of a candidate. They'd had 8 years under Reagan, and 4 years under Bush. 12 years of Republican dominance in the white house, plus the infamous gaffe, and Perot, made for an easy Dem victory.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2011, 12:57:59 AM »

VPB = Vice President Biden

BFD= Big Fukcing Deal

That was a comment Biden made to Obama that was picked up by the cameras and mics as he signed the healthcare bill
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2011, 04:01:19 AM »

Overall, it improves Obama's re-election chances a bit. Bin Laden's death alone won't get him re-elected though.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2011, 07:06:18 AM »

I'm guessing Vice President Biden.. Not sure about BFD
Right on the first. The second is Big Fcuking Deal".
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2011, 08:40:07 AM »

Does anyone notice the near-absence of grandstanding by this President? The time at which he announced the demise of Usama bin Laden was near midnight on Sunday in the Eastern Time Zone. It was good timing for the West Coast... but considering where the Twin Towers used to be, where the Pentagon is,  and where the commandeered flights came from, such could only have been bad timing for getting the point out. Many people didn;t find out until Monday morning.

This is like saying that more people would have been able to watch coverage of the 9/11 bombings if the media had simply embargoed covering it until prime time.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2011, 03:57:27 PM »

I can see this coming up often by young voters....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ47eGSilPc
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2011, 10:06:37 PM »

non-issue in 18 months; no, I didn't read the thread
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2011, 07:45:33 AM »

It will help in fundraising for the president,  help in making the world a safer place, but it won't win the election for the Dems. Current events will determine the outcome, but the president is better off than otherwise. Focus now on bin ladins no 2.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2011, 03:49:48 AM »

I think Obama will have positive approvals now for about a month or two, but it will probably be back to polarized territory after that, mostly because of the upcoming debt-ceiling debate that will put attention back to domestic and fiscal matters and after the summer it will certainly be more polarized again (maybe with negative approvals), because the GOP race heats up with attacks on the President and because the economy is back as the main issue (2012 budget debate, recovery at the labor market not as fast as previously thought).

I think most polls will still show Obama between 45% and 53% approval for the next one and a half years, but ultimately I think he will be able to push his approvals constantly above 50% by the middle of next year because of his effective re-election campaigning (and because of new outside groups), making him very hard to beat in the election.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2011, 06:39:01 AM »

For the another month in a row, we have netted ove 150k. As long as Obama keeps that up, the tragectory has it, that we will be under 8% by 2012 and by then he will have the 50.5% needed to win. And hopefully Al-Zawawi gets caught and gas prices, already down will be back to 3 bucks.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2011, 09:27:47 PM »

less than four months folks, geez...  things sure do move in politics quite quickly, the only constant being pbrower idiocy.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2011, 10:24:22 PM »

less than four months folks, geez...  things sure do move in politics quite quickly, the only constant being pbrower idiocy.

Sam, pbrower wasn't the one predicting 70% Obama approval ratings.  A number of people got it wrong on this thread, but I was surprised Obama's approval ratings did not get a higher boost.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2011, 10:25:58 PM »

Sam, pbrower wasn't the one predicting 70% Obama approval ratings.  A number of people got it wrong on this thread, but I was surprised Obama's approval ratings did not get a higher boost.

In other words, you were wrong.  Definitely not the first time and won't be the last.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2011, 10:42:22 PM »

In other words, you were wrong.  Definitely not the first time and won't be the last.

Well, I would have been if I had made a comment, though not as wrong as most of the people on this thread.  I was thinking along the line above 50% for a few weeks, which it did on Gallup.  I was expecting some movement in Rasmussen as well, and here was what I said:

Rasmussen Obama (National)

Approve 48%, -1.

Disapprove 51%, +1.

"Strongly Approve" is at 24%, -2.  "Strongly Disapprove" is at 37%, +1.

WTF?

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2011, 11:10:01 PM »

Spade's right.  Obama may see the plus side of 50 for a few  weeks, then it'll go  away. 

Did I call it or what?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2011, 11:51:26 PM »

Spade's right.  Obama may see the plus side of 50 for a few  weeks, then it'll go  away. 

Did I call it or what?

It wasn't even a few weeks.  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies