Should circumcision be banned? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:42:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should circumcision be banned? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: .
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Should circumcision be banned?  (Read 12159 times)
CitizenX
Rookie
United States

« on: June 02, 2011, 05:23:24 PM »

In response to what is currently happening in San Francisco, I am asking this question. I'd say No because it is a legitimate and beneficial medical procedure which helps eliminate penile cancer and reduce the risk of an STD infection. Plus, banning it would be against freedom of religion, and circumcision isn't very harmful to your body.

Circumcision is a barbaric backwards superstitious ritual.  I don't understand the American obsession with that practice.  Other modern civilized democracies to not practice this ritual and they have lower rates of STDs then we do (This is a FACT).

Who gets penile cancer anyway?  Does anyone actually know anyone that has gotten penile cancer?  Do you have any idea how much it costs to do a circumcision the right way with anesthesia?  Thousands of dollars.  It has been estimated that penile cancer occurs at a rate of 800 new cases a year in the United States.  It has also been estimated that 40% of these cases can be attributed to HPV infection.  There is a safe and effective HPV vaccine available.  The HPV vaccine also prevents genital warts and is effective at reducing the rate of vaginal and cervical cancer.

So we have a safe effective NONINVASIVE means of reducing penile cancer, vaginal cancer, cervical cancer, and HPV infections.  Yet people still insist on exposing their babies' developing brains to general anesthesia and mutilating their genitals.  All to prevent what 800 cases a year of penile cancer?  320 of which can be prevented with a vaccine.  Anyone that thinks this whole circumcision thing is not just a primitive throwback ritual is really kidding themselves.

Here in Texas Governer Rick Perry signed an executive order making vaccinating all young lady's with the HPV vaccine mandatory
.  Of course the Republican religious zealots blocked the measure because "It would encourage young girls to have sex."  Of course chopping off little boys' penises is ok.  Welcome to the USA.

Anyway when you're considering cutting Medicare benefits for seniors on a fixed income should you really be spending thousands of dollars a pop penis sculpting 150 million people?  Think about it.
CitizenX
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 06:28:10 AM »

People can stop eating meat, but they can't stop being circumcised.

Tell that to the Jews. And Muslims I believe.

I support Circumcision. Religion is protected by the Constitution. This is a religious practice.

San Francisco has proven again why it's a liberal sh**thole!

I don't care if your religion is Judaism, Islam, or Voodoo.  The Constitution does not protect EVERY religious act.

So you're a big supporter of female circumcision?

Anyway despite my tone I respect you.  I can discuss making allowances for Jews or Muslims.  I'm glad you told me it was a religious belief instead of insulting my intelligence with psuedo science.  That I can respect.
CitizenX
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 07:43:14 PM »

No one would ever consent to doing it once they're old enough to feel and remembering, no matter how beneficial.  Thus, pre-memory is the only time it can really be done.

Doesn't that imply that it's not something that should be done?  I mean, if no one (and that's a bit of an exaggeration: adult circumcision has existed in several places) would be willing to do it if consent is an issue, doesn't that imply that they find having their genitals mutilated an inherently problematic practice?

Well, if this were a new procedure, I'd agree with you, but it has been a well-established procedure for literally thousands of years and has been shown (arguably, I know) to have benefits.  Also, I never see men who were circumsized as infants complaining about it as adults.  It's just a no-big-deal kind of issue.

Also, calling infant male circumcision "mutilation" seems to make light of the real horrors of female genital mutilation in other countries.  Not even close to comparable there.

As someone with a penis I can and do compare the two.

And yes there are most certainly men who were circumcised against their will as children who complain about it.  You just choose not to listen.  Ever heard of a guy call Howard Stern?

And yes, once again there are alternatives such as vaccines which are far cheaper for our already bankrupt health system.  Vaccines are economical, have fewer side effects, and are infinitely more human and civilized.
CitizenX
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 08:11:37 PM »

No one would ever consent to doing it once they're old enough to feel and remembering, no matter how beneficial.  Thus, pre-memory is the only time it can really be done.

Doesn't that imply that it's not something that should be done?  I mean, if no one (and that's a bit of an exaggeration: adult circumcision has existed in several places) would be willing to do it if consent is an issue, doesn't that imply that they find having their genitals mutilated an inherently problematic practice?

Well, if this were a new procedure, I'd agree with you, but it has been a well-established procedure for literally thousands of years and has been shown (arguably, I know) to have benefits.  Also, I never see men who were circumsized as infants complaining about it as adults.  It's just a no-big-deal kind of issue.

Also, calling infant male circumcision "mutilation" seems to make light of the real horrors of female genital mutilation in other countries.  Not even close to comparable there.

As someone with a penis I can and do compare the two.

And yes there are most certainly men who were circumcised against their will as children who complain about it.  You just choose not to listen.  Ever heard of a guy call Howard Stern?

And yes, once again there are alternatives such as vaccines which are far cheaper for our already bankrupt health system.  Vaccines are economical, have fewer side effects, and are infinitely more human and civilized.

Vaccines were never intended as a replacement or "alternative" to circumcision.

Yes but they ARE a safe, cost effective, humane way to avoid genital mutilation... for the few deluded people that hang their hat on the dreaded penile cancer argument.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies