SENATE BILL: 2011 Education Act (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:14:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: 2011 Education Act (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: 2011 Education Act (Law'd)  (Read 4937 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: May 07, 2011, 01:46:01 PM »

Boys and girls are not born with the same brains.  It is absolutely ridiculous to pretend that they are.

sigh...

Whether or not the "learning differences" are scientifically documented, deducing that these differences are a direct consequence of gender is silly. Instead of trying to fight agains the social processes that encourage different attitudes between boys and girls, you prefer to officialize this discrimination in the law ?

To be fair, I don't think you can compare (as seems to be the analogy you're hinting at) this to racially-based discrimination. Sex [1] is a scientific, objective concept. Race is a vague social construct. There are real, physical differences between male and female brains, that have been scientifically documented. I could dig up the relevant references - and will, if need be - but IIRC the differences start appearing after three or four years of age. So your point that males and females are born with the same brains is (almost) true, but irrelevant.

I would agree with your post if what you were saying was true - that the suggestion of the bill merely enforces preconceived discrimination and prejudices. I don't think that is the case, though.

More to the point, it's a pilot project, and surely worth trying. Let's give it a shot and see the results, then we can argue some more. Tongue

[1] Is this basically a debate about sex versus gender?

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 09:54:39 AM »

I second bgwah's comment - there's really no point in getting worked up over a small-scale pilot program. Let's try this experiment, see the results, and then get into the ethics of it...

Also, yeah, I doubt anyone will have a problem with reducing class sizes. It's a no-brainer.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 10:08:13 AM »

Again, I think it's crucial to note that this is only a pilot program - there's really no harm in seeing how the ideas presented in the bill work on a small scale.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 08:25:10 PM »

Are there any pilot programs that should be included for the sake of experimenting with various technologies that might aid the learning environment?

Laptops! Laptops!

[/geek]
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 08:47:56 AM »

I'm returning from the wilderness.
Oakvale
oakvale