Do you think there are more left-wing or right-wing truthers in the U.S.?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:30:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you think there are more left-wing or right-wing truthers in the U.S.?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Do you think there are more left-wing truthers or right-wing ones in the U.S.?
Right-wing

Left-wing

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Do you think there are more left-wing or right-wing truthers in the U.S.?  (Read 8086 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2011, 06:07:27 PM »
« edited: May 04, 2011, 09:44:06 PM by Eraserhead »

I'd guess that there are more right-wing types who subscribe to that line of thinking although it is probably somewhat close.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 06:12:02 PM »

More left-wing. I associate "truthers" with 9/11 truthers and there's definitely a lot of lefties in those groups.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 07:36:59 PM »

Truthers were/are mostly fierce opponents of Bush Jr, so option 2.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 07:58:16 PM »

Right wing by far. The whole conspiracy "movement" if you will is far-right, talk radio, "patriot" movement; just look at youtube videos related to this for a sampling of opinions - they're mostly Ron Paul supporters. Alex Jones, the de facto leader of that movement is not a left wing guy, he shifted back to gun stuff and birther conspiracies as soon as Obama was elected.

In the days of Bush a lot of young naive nominally left wing people embraced the anti-war message that was coming from these patriot types, but the ideological divide between them was formidable. The 9/11 conspiracy movement today has very few truly left wing people. That wasn't necessarily the case in 2004.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 11:33:06 PM »

Left wing during Bush's first term, but right wing after that. A lot are also people that aren't very political but are easily swayed by populist rhetoric from the likes of people like Jones (I'm thinking of a guy I work with here. He doesn't even vote, not even for fringe parties.)
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 01:28:58 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2011, 01:44:20 PM by UpcomingYouthvoter »

Left wing during Bush's first term, but right wing after that. A lot are also people that aren't very political but are easily swayed by populist rhetoric from the likes of people like Jones (I'm thinking of a guy I work with here. He doesn't even vote, not even for fringe parties.)

I would bet he would like Ron Paul given that most Alex Jones fans are Paul fans too. To answer the question, most truthers are right-wing. When Bush was president, the truthers were more left-wing but as time goes, less leftist are people that believe Bush and co were behind 9/11.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 01:32:24 PM »

There were a lot of truthers who were lefties simply because they didn't like George Bush. They're probably mostly done now. The ones who continue to protest and remain active are probably mostly David Dees/Alex Jones right-wing types.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 05:41:04 PM »

Depends.  Is your definition of "Truther" related only to 9/11 conspiracy?

When Bush was president I'm sure more left-wingers subscribed to that thinking than right.  Just like right wingers now subscribe as "birthers".  The fringe element seems to depend on who's president.  If it smears the right, then left will be the majority.  If it smears left, then right will be the majority.  So goes partisan bickering..
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 12:32:47 PM »

Depends.  Is your definition of "Truther" related only to 9/11 conspiracy?

When Bush was president I'm sure more left-wingers subscribed to that thinking than right.  Just like right wingers now subscribe as "birthers".  The fringe element seems to depend on who's president.  If it smears the right, then left will be the majority.  If it smears left, then right will be the majority.  So goes partisan bickering..

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 10:19:04 PM »

It's certainly more left wing than the Teabagger or Birther movements, but it's mostly anti-government message makes it inherently right-wing.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 02:05:03 AM »

Right-wing these days because those are the nuts that are most active right now. It seemed to be dominated by left-wing nuts during the Bush Administration which is to be expected.
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 04:59:54 AM »

It's certainly more left wing than the Teabagger or Birther movements, but it's mostly anti-government message makes it inherently right-wing.

Anarchy is anti-government and that more of a left-wing philosophy dating back to 19 century. Anti-Government movements aren't always right-wing, just the majority of them are.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 08:10:03 AM »

Anarchy is anti-government and that more of a left-wing philosophy dating back to 19 century. Anti-Government movements aren't always right-wing, just the majority of them are.

I think he means, in American politics, anti-(federal)government movements tend to be associated with the right.
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 02:15:07 PM »

I think he means, in American politics, anti-(federal)government movements tend to be associated with the right.

Then if he means that, that true. Most right-wing people have problem with the federal government.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 03:48:33 PM »

I think it's about even.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 05:53:38 PM »

Right-wing, at least in the context of American politics, might be anti-government, but I see anarchists as more left-wing.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 08:07:23 PM »

Right-wing, at least in the context of American politics, might be anti-government, but I see anarchists as more left-wing.
The left wing is more authoritarian than the right, at least in a historical sense; thus, the right wing is close to anarchism. The Founding Fathers were probably considered close to anarchists in their day because their ideal government was only one step ahead of anarchy (i.e. as little government as humanly possible).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 08:13:30 PM »

The left wing is more authoritarian than the right, at least in a historical sense; thus, the right wing is close to anarchism. The Founding Fathers were probably considered close to anarchists in their day because their ideal government was only one step ahead of anarchy (i.e. as little government as humanly possible).
I'd actually expect someone to say that historically, the Left was more Libertarian than the Right.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 08:22:09 PM »

I'd actually expect someone to say that historically, the Left was more Libertarian than the Right.
Look at what Mussolini and Hitler did during their primes. Their major support bases were labor unions. They enacted universal health-care, fought for higher wages, and encouraged profit sharing among large corporations (i.e. "spreading the wealth around"). Also, Hitler was a strong proponent of animal rights.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 08:25:34 PM »

The left-wing, in the historical sense, advocates for radical if not revolutionary change, whereas the right-wing advocates for gradual change if any at all. With that in mind, most anarchists throughout history have identified with the left-wing, even though many totalitarians have also done so. To say that anarchism is of the right-wing has little or no basis in reality outside of the American political paradigm.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 08:28:24 PM »

The left-wing, in the historical sense, advocates for radical if not revolutionary change, whereas the right-wing advocates for gradual change if any at all. With that in mind, most anarchists throughout history have identified with the left-wing, even though many totalitarians have also done so. To say that anarchism is of the right-wing has little or no basis in reality outside of the American political paradigm.
And we're discussing the American political paradigm.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 09:15:13 PM »

Also, Hitler was a strong proponent of animal rights.

Humans are animals.

Hitler hated human rights.

Thus he hated animal rights.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 12:51:44 AM »

Look at what Mussolini and Hitler did during their primes. Their major support bases were labor unions. They enacted universal health-care, fought for higher wages, and encouraged profit sharing among large corporations (i.e. "spreading the wealth around"). Also, Hitler was a strong proponent of animal rights.

Go away and never ever come back. You have committed a crime against history.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 01:37:23 AM »

Anarchism is (exclusively) right wing?  Mikhail Bakunin, Pyotr Kropotkin, and Emma Goldman are spinning in their graves so fast they could solve the energy crisis.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 01:41:48 AM »

Go away and never ever come back. You have committed a crime against history.

I just reported him for trolling.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies