Scottish Independence (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:12:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Scottish Independence (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Scotland leave the United Kingdom and being an independent nation?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Scottish Independence  (Read 6906 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: May 07, 2011, 03:56:24 AM »

I have long held that, seeing as there's no other way Scottish Labour can get the independence it needs, Scottish Independence is a necessity.

My views are colored somewhat by my emotional attachment to Welsh Independence, of course. Maybe I'm just settling on a substitute, seeing as Welsh independence is not going to happen.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 07:30:40 AM »

Scotland is about size of Finland and economically like Norway not Iceland. Independent Scotland is necessery step before UN with 300 member states. The interesting question is whether some of Brittish oversea terriories are given to Scotland.
Maybe Saint Kilda? Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 11:03:07 AM »

"Joined" the EU? They're in already.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 12:41:49 PM »

Sardinia was a pointless, random, artificial outlying possession of that country too - more so than within united Italy, actually (certainly a much better fit than Corse with France!) Which is why (though that was its official name, as the title of King was attached to Sardinia) no one in their right mind ever calls that country anything but Piemont or Piemont-Savoy.

But the Kingdom of Sicily/Naples has older borders than Scotland and probably, with hindsight, ought never to have been united with Italy in the first place (the ancient Kingdom of Italy including, of course, only northern and central Italy.)

As to Wales, all of England is just Welsh Irredenta.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 02:41:46 PM »

Sardinia was a pointless, random, artificial outlying possession of that country too - more so than within united Italy, actually (certainly a much better fit than Corse with France!) Which is why (though that was its official name, as the title of King was attached to Sardinia) no one in their right mind ever calls that country anything but Piemont or Piemont-Savoy.

Sardinia was not a bolt-on possession -- the Kingdom's capital was in Cagliari before it moved to Turin.  
The Kingdom of Sardinia's capital was in Cagliari when it was an outlying autonomous possession of Aragon and in Turin when Sardinia was still an outlying autonomous possession of a state that, confusingly, was officially styled the Kingdom of Sardinia and whose capital was Turin just as it had been when it was not yet styled the Kingdom of Sardinia. Though noone ever called it that except in a formal context. The wiki articles "Kingdom of Sardinia" and "Piedmont-Sardinia" (which is a legitimate replacement for Piedmont or Piedmont-Savoy, though uncommon) are just titlecruft-infected. You won't find any Italian history book pretending that Italy was united by Cavour and Sardinia, it's always Piedmont.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 12:17:38 PM »

In other words, you like the Welsh or current Scottish situation. Smiley (And yes, the right thing for Sardinia too. Though a bit more autonomy wouldn't hurt, I think.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 12:31:26 PM »

(And yes, the right thing for Sardinia too. Though a bit more autonomy wouldn't hurt, I think.)

You people will do anything to try to undermine The Beautiful Place. Disgusting.
No, I want to save the beautiful place by getting the Mezzogiorno and Padania to secede from it! Cheesy (The beautiful place is Toscany and Umbria, of course - the Emilia and Marche are not nearly as beautiful, but they can stay in. Rome has different politics, but is very much a beautiful place too and can stay as well.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies