Scottish Independence (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:00:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Scottish Independence (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Scotland leave the United Kingdom and being an independent nation?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Scottish Independence  (Read 6894 times)
Foucaulf
« on: May 06, 2011, 09:24:20 PM »

Could someone do a mock-up of a Union Jack that just has St. George and St. Patrick?  It'd be a hideous, hideous flag.

(only one I found on Google)

Oh, honestly. Is it really that hard to edit a Wikipedia flag?

Still a foreigner, but I have different reasons for supporting independence than most:

Symbolically, it's karmic retribution for an English nation that has pillaged other nations for centuries.

Practically, independence will allow Scotland to govern without any of Westminster's jingoistic rallying. The big selling point is that independent Scotland could join the Euro and contribute more to the EU than it would ever have under the UK. The EU gains a net fuel producer and Scotland's infrastructure fund grows. But it also forces the UK's hand, having to trade with the EU in order to fuel the country. Britannia finally will be forced out of her shell.

I guess more liberal-minded supporters could argue that Scotland will be free to develop a services-based/high-tech economy when independent. Not having to subsidize other English regions is a plus, but, as a Canadian, I don't find that argument compelling.

I support NI republicans and Welsh independence for the same reasons, but Scotland is the only viable nation at this time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies